The Student Room Group

PGCE - Chemistry - Interview Advice

Hi all,

My degree is in Biomedical Science from 2016, and I applied for a PGCE in chemistry at secondary level. I have been asked to attend an interview in the coming couple of weeks, but I fear my nerves are getting the better of me, and feel like I might be out of my depth.

I have some previous teaching experience in the form of working as a supply teacher and becoming a qualified CELTA teacher.

After leaving university, I've not been able to utilise my chemistry knowledge as much as I would have liked. Due to the current situation, the school have asked me to complete a lesson plan directed at year 9 students, which I will walk the interviewers through online.

At the end the interview I will be provided some assessments to complete on my literacy, numeracy, and subject knowledge.

Since it was some time ago that I completed my degree, I feel I'm a little rusty. I was planning on attending one of the Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses once I have an offer, but now I don't even know if my knowledge is good enough for the interview.

Can anyone recommend some resources I can use to brush up on my subject knowledge?

I have planned my own lessons before during the CELTA, but I'm not sure what to include in a science based lesson. Are there good resources to use that can help with this?

What's the best way to prepare for the interview?
Reply 1
Hi, I did interviews for PGCE chemistry a couple of weeks back. My degree was pharmacy and I graduated in 2016 as well so I had the same concerns about gaps in my subject knowledge. Firstly the interviews were far easier than I expected in terms of subject knowledge. One of them sent me some exam questions ahead of time and didn't ask any subject questions in the interview. The other asked a couple of chemistry questions, one on biology, and one on physics. They were very easy questions and the interviewer didn't rush me.I went through the ks3 and ks4 science curriculums and picked out any bits I thought I would need to refresh myself on. I mostly used resources aimed at those stages, which was helpful as it refreshed the material for me but also showed me how to explain things at the right level and stopped me wasting time going into mega detail on everything. I used the BBC website mostly, but also borrowed the CGP ks3 revision guide from my nephew. I also watched some episodes of crash course chemistry on youtube, they don't necessarily cover all the right things for this but they are really good.Planning the lessons was the hardest thing for me as I've never done it before. I really don't know what is best and mine asked for a PowerPoint and notes, but I'll tell you the approach I took anyway. Firstly I chose a topic from the curriculum (If they've given you a choice of topic they will almost certainly ask about the reasons for your choice). Then I started making some slides on PowerPoint. This was a mistake, I definitely should have written up a lesson plan first, I later had a nightmare trying to cut it to fit into my allotted time. I should have spent longer defining exactly what I wanted to cover and planning how I would divide it up. I started with a couple of hands up for A/B type questions to assess prior knowledge, then had a couple of slides with diagrams and notes about how I would explain them. In the middle I did a mini quiz to assess whether students remember and understand what we've just covered. Then a couple more slides building on the material from the first few. Then an activity allowing them to put all of the information covered together.
Original post by Sazzerah
Hi all,

My degree is in Biomedical Science from 2016, and I applied for a PGCE in chemistry at secondary level. I have been asked to attend an interview in the coming couple of weeks, but I fear my nerves are getting the better of me, and feel like I might be out of my depth.

I have some previous teaching experience in the form of working as a supply teacher and becoming a qualified CELTA teacher.

After leaving university, I've not been able to utilise my chemistry knowledge as much as I would have liked. Due to the current situation, the school have asked me to complete a lesson plan directed at year 9 students, which I will walk the interviewers through online.

At the end the interview I will be provided some assessments to complete on my literacy, numeracy, and subject knowledge.

Since it was some time ago that I completed my degree, I feel I'm a little rusty. I was planning on attending one of the Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses once I have an offer, but now I don't even know if my knowledge is good enough for the interview.

Can anyone recommend some resources I can use to brush up on my subject knowledge?

I have planned my own lessons before during the CELTA, but I'm not sure what to include in a science based lesson. Are there good resources to use that can help with this?

Hi, hope you're well. Wanted to know how your interview went as I am currently in the same position as you were (rusty with knowledge and also did a biomedical science degree). Any help would be much appreciated 👍
Hi all,

Hi @Sazzerah,

Well done on getting an interview and please don't worry about it. I am sure that the provider will be aware of your situation. I would advise you to get a Get into Teaching adviser now by going through our website https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ . We are all experienced teachers who provide a free, impartial advice service to people like yourself. We can offer help with interviews too.

Good luck!
Tracy
Reply 4
Hi all,

What's the best way to prepare for the interv

How many University you included in your choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending