The Student Room Group

Opinions on immigration?

For context, I live in an area where about 75% population in the ward are immigrants so i have seen a direct impact upon the environment. My parents immigrated to Britain from Asia in the 1980s, so i'm most definitely not against immigration or of the belief that there should be zero immigration. However, in my opinion, the number of people immigrating and settling in Britain should be reduced. I feel that the current level of immigration is unsustainable, and imo it will decrease the quality of life and is just going to create more tensions.

I would like the hear other people's views on this.
Opinions? Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

There should be a points based immigration system
The current system is unsustainable. We should really be more like Australia with our immigration controls in my opinion.
i agree with the other two posters
Original post by driftawaay
There should be a points based immigration system

like the australian system, it would be a good idea
Rather surreal to hear people suggesting that we follow the same path of a nation that is full of immigrants, or descended from immigrants, who now want to restrict immigration.

Talk about pulling up the ladder after you...
Our country would not be able to sustain itself without immigration. Our population would decrease greatly and our economy would suffer even more. If people take the time to think about immigration and how it can help the country they wouldn't he so quick to say it's a bad thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
So basically increase the negative stigma against populations where the minority give them a bad reputation. Never heard anything so narrow-minded. People who have such singular views are the problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop immigration from eu only everyone else gets a free pass
Reply 9
Original post by LiamJMcIntyre
Our country would not be able to sustain itself without immigration. Our population would decrease greatly and our economy would suffer even more. If people take the time to think about immigration and how it can help the country they wouldn't he so quick to say it's a bad thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i'm not suggesting immigrants should return. Also, do you think the NHS is entirely dependent on foreign nurses and doctors and they don't hire British students? Obviously not.
I am also not suggesting we should completely stop immigration...
(edited 8 years ago)
So basically increase the negative stigma against populations where the minority give them a bad reputation. Never heard anything so narrow-minded. People who have such singular views are the problem

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you replying to me?

How would restricting immigration increase negative stigma against people?
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't once mention the NHS. However they bring culture and business to our country, we need that to sustain our aging population. Obviously it leads to conflict from both sides however trying to stop immigration or cutting it down dramatically is a terrible idea in practice. There will never be an easy way to sort the problem but making huge cuts to immigration numbers will have negative effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because it is trying to segregate people and that will cause friction. I agree it should be thought out better and the idea if checks after a two year period for a permanent citizenship is a god idea. But no Muslims and no Africans is a terrible idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
My main problem with the Australian system is that you would need your own health insurance which I think is an unnecessary blow to social mobility of foreigners.

Also if you are worries about a high population, then use system that encourage people to have less kids (not forcing like china)
Original post by catscatscats
Not sure if you're trolling, but that is pretty unfair and obviously discriminatory.

Not at all, i don't want immigrants from crime ridden poor countries that may not be culturally compatible.

Immigration is not a right, it's a privilege. It exists to serve us, not the immigrant who wants to come.

I accept i could have used less blatant language but there are a few African and Muslim countries above the $30k threshold.
Original post by Thisguy11
My main problem with the Australian system is that you would need your own health insurance which I think is an unnecessary blow to social mobility of foreigners.

Also if you are worries about a high population, then use system that encourage people to have less kids (not forcing like china)

My main objection to a points system is that it's too rigid, my system allows entrepreneurs.
I didn't once mention the NHS. However they bring culture and business to our country, we need that to sustain our aging population. Obviously it leads to conflict from both sides however trying to stop immigration or cutting it down dramatically is a terrible idea in practice. There will never be an easy way to sort the problem but making huge cuts to immigration numbers will have negative effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just using the NHS as an example.
Immigrants also age. Culture is quite an abstract thing, what are they bringing? Authors? Artists? i don't think Britain needs 50,000 Indians to start Indian restaurants.
Immigrants bringing business is obviously a good thing, and i'm not opposed to it. However, not all immigrants are exactly starting businesses, or are wealthy enough to sustain a business (students who settle or spouses who join their families).
(edited 8 years ago)
*controlled (i.e capped) migration

*slash the number of asylum seekers/refugees (send them to the nearest country of sanctuary)

*don't let them claim social housing/benefits until they've lived here a certain time
Original post by footstool1924
Rather surreal to hear people suggesting that we follow the same path of a nation that is full of immigrants, or descended from immigrants, who now want to restrict immigration.

Talk about pulling up the ladder after you...

So just because a country is descended from immigrants, they should take everyone who wishes to move there? So I guess Australia can just take 100 million starving Africans. But they are so mean they want to restrict immigration. Great idea!
Original post by Rakas21
No more Muslims.
No more Africans.
No more spousal immigration.
Veto further EU expansion until candidates have a GDP per capita above $30k.
Restrict all current non-EU immigration to nations with a GDP per capita of $30k.

Having restricted non-EU immigration to rich nations (primarily Anglosphere and developed Asia) i would make it easier for aforementioned immigrants to come via requiring a simple £10k payment for citizenship and proof of minimum education and no criminal record. Review would occur after 2 years at which point if employed for over 12 months they will be given permanent citizenship, if not they will be deported.

Numbers would remain high but we'd get rid of the bad stuff.

LMAO

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending