The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeship as a international student

Hi,

I am currently living in the UK and would have been living here for 4 years when i will be applying for degree apprenticeships, i currently don't have a ILR (indefinite leave to remain) but do have a visa to live in the UK, I will get my ILR on the next January after I apply. i have done my GCSES and A levels from the UK, and as i would categorise as a international student at universities due to not having my ILR, would this be the same with a degree apprenticeship?? I would have initially went to university but the hefty some of 27000 + £ deterred me hence why I've taken a gap year and wanted to do a degree apprenticeship as not only would i get a degree but also get paid. I have strong a levels and GCSEs and think i can get a place in degree apprenticeship if i qualify for it.
Thanks for reading :smile:
I’m sorry you didn’t get an immediate reply.

You’ve been here over 3 years so I don’t suspect an issue, however….
Take a look here and see if you’re eligible:

You must,,,
E55.4 Spend at least 50% of your working hours in England over the duration of the apprenticeship.
E55.5 Have the right to work in England.
E55.6 Have an eligible residency status per Annex A (below)

Individuals who are not eligible are those who:
E65.1 Are here illegally;
E65.2 Are resident in the United Kingdom on a student visa unless they are eligible through meeting any other of the categories described in Annex A;
E65.3 Are in the United Kingdom on holiday, with or without a visa;
E65.4 Have overstayed their immigration or visitor visa;
E65.5 Are a family member of a person granted a student visa, have been given immigration permission to stay in the UK and have not been ordinarily resident in the UK for the previous three years on the first day of learning;
E65.6 Are ordinarily resident in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man, unless also an ordinarily resident within England; or
E65.7 Have a biometric residence permit or residence permit imposing a study prohibition or restriction on the individual.

Annex A of the rules for residency eligibility can be found in the below link on page 93 to page 101:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1109625/2223_Employer_Rules_Version_2_Final.pdf

I understand these things aren’t always written to be reader friendly. Discuss with a careers advisor or parent/guardian, it’s worth getting a second opinion anyway.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chris2892
I’m sorry you didn’t get an immediate reply.

You’ve been here over 3 years so I don’t suspect an issue, however….
Take a look here and see if you’re eligible:

You must,,,
E55.4 Spend at least 50% of your working hours in England over the duration of the apprenticeship.
E55.5 Have the right to work in England.
E55.6 Have an eligible residency status per Annex A (below)

Individuals who are not eligible are those who:
E65.1 Are here illegally;
E65.2 Are resident in the United Kingdom on a student visa unless they are eligible through meeting any other of the categories described in Annex A;
E65.3 Are in the United Kingdom on holiday, with or without a visa;
E65.4 Have overstayed their immigration or visitor visa;
E65.5 Are a family member of a person granted a student visa, have been given immigration permission to stay in the UK and have not been ordinarily resident in the UK for the previous three years on the first day of learning;
E65.6 Are ordinarily resident in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man, unless also an ordinarily resident within England; or
E65.7 Have a biometric residence permit or residence permit imposing a study prohibition or restriction on the individual.

Annex A of the rules for residency eligibility can be found in the below link on page 93 to page 101:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1109625/2223_Employer_Rules_Version_2_Final.pdf

I understand these things aren’t always written to be reader friendly. Discuss with a careers advisor or parent/guardian, it’s worth getting a second opinion anyway.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for replying ,
I recently asked the degree apprenticeship department in university of Warwick and they said i cant apply as i don't have a ILR, hence why i wanted to make sure and ask here. I check with all the requirements that you've stated so hopefully I should be fine when i start applying for next year. Thanks for your help :smile:.
I would speak to an apprenticeship provider. Most universities typically just facilitate the academic portion of the apprenticeship, whereas the provider assist and manages the delivery of the apprenticeship standard with the employer.

Some universities also offer apprenticeship provider services to employers.

It’s the provider who would be the most knowledgeable about the funding requirements.
Reply 4
Original post by uniprospect121
Hi,

I am currently living in the UK and would have been living here for 4 years when i will be applying for degree apprenticeships, i currently don't have a ILR (indefinite leave to remain) but do have a visa to live in the UK, I will get my ILR on the next January after I apply. i have done my GCSES and A levels from the UK, and as i would categorise as a international student at universities due to not having my ILR, would this be the same with a degree apprenticeship?? I would have initially went to university but the hefty some of 27000 + £ deterred me hence why I've taken a gap year and wanted to do a degree apprenticeship as not only would i get a degree but also get paid. I have strong a levels and GCSEs and think i can get a place in degree apprenticeship if i qualify for it.

Hi, how did you apply for ILR? And also if you don’t mind me asking what type of visa did you have before applying
Reply 5
Hi,

Hello,
I'm currently in the same position and have been really worried about what I can do. Universities are too expensive and apprenticeships have been turning me down despite my strong A levels and experience. I wanted to know if I have any possibility of getting into a degree apprenticeship. How did it go for you? What are you doing now?
Reply 6
Original post by 1324345
Hello,
I'm currently in the same position and have been really worried about what I can do. Universities are too expensive and apprenticeships have been turning me down despite my strong A levels and experience. I wanted to know if I have any possibility of getting into a degree apprenticeship. How did it go for you? What are you doing now?

Hi I'm also in a similar situation any luck yet?
Reply 7
Original post by 1324345
Hello,

Pretty much my exact situation and running out of ideas of what to do next. Have you had any luck ?
Reply 8
Hi,

I will be in the same situation next year. if you don’t mind me asking what type of visa do you currently have.
What subject I choose for masters I have done my graduation in sociology and I found sociology quite dry subject so pls give me suggestions thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending