The Student Room Group

Teenage pregnancies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MowNeek
If pregnant school girls are sent out of school or drop out, shouldnt their baby daddies who are also in school do the same??

In retrospect, this would be an example of how the education system is failing young people. Since we are not fully equipped with the information about sexual education to prevent/tackle this situation.
Reply 21
Original post by SausageMan
In retrospect, this would be an example of how the education system is failing young people. Since we are not fully equipped with the information about sexual education to prevent/tackle this situation.

Yes, VERY good point right there... Thank you. :-)
Original post by SausageMani

You cannot educate El stupidoes
Original post by MowNeek
If pregnant school girls are sent out of school or drop out, shouldnt their baby daddies who are also in school do the same??

Yeah drop out of school to go work at Burger King on minimum wage instead of getting yourself a £30k or so job after uni.
Also who says girls can't get education while pregnant/taking care of a child? Just need some dedication and some self teaching
Original post by RonnieRJ
Yeah drop out of school to go work at Burger King on minimum wage instead of getting yourself a £30k or so job after uni.
Also who says girls can't get education while pregnant/taking care of a child? Just need some dedication and some self teaching

Exactly
Reply 25
Original post by RonnieRJ

But thats not always the case. I do know of people that did not finish school or go to varsity, but are doing very well for themselves. And its really difficult for a young girl to get an education while pregnant or taking care of a child because its just too much stress and she wont cope.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by DiceTheSlice
You cannot educate El stupidoes

unless they dont want to be taught....
Original post by MowNeek
Its not 100% safe, there are people that use condoms, but still get pregnant!

Okay my bad, it's 99.9% safe, if paired with the pill, the likely hood of getting pregnant is equal to the likelihood of seeing a pig fly.
Reply 28
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Okay my bad, it's 99.9% safe, if paired with the pill, the likely hood of getting pregnant is equal to the likelihood of seeing a pig fly.

Hahahaha... :-D :-D Now there, I agree with you.
Original post by MowNeek
But school doesnt really guarantee you qualifications for a job. I know of a lot of people that didnt finish school, but are doing very well for themselves today.

But it makes more sense to create a better future for your child, by gaining a qualification. There is a childcare grant for uni students and milk vouchers and other various helpful benefits that make it that much easier to raise a child whilst in formal education.
Having a kid doesn't diminish your education, in fact it's quite the opposite
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't get the mindset where being pregnant=having to have a baby. It's the twenty-first century, there is no obligation, nothing stopping them from having an abortion.

If you're still in school, you shouldn't be having babies. Build a life first :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by cherryred90s
But it makes more sense to create a better future for your child, by gaining a qualification. There is a childcare grant for uni students and milk vouchers and other various helpful benefits that make it that much easier to raise a child whilst in formal education.
Having a kid doesn't diminish your education, in fact it's quite the opposite

For a very developed country like the UK, that is no problem at all, but in a small and not so developed country like the one I am from (Namibia), it is very difficult.
Reply 32
Even if he was forced to drop out, that doesn't mean that he would actually be supporting the girl. I think they should both have as much education as possible, depending on the family situation, and unfortunately this is less practical for the girl (scans, giving birth, more outright bullying)
Reply 33
Original post by Skip_Snip
I don't get the mindset where being pregnant=having to have a baby. It's the twenty-first century, there is no obligation, nothing stopping them from having an abortion.

If you're still in school, you shouldn't be having babies. Build a life first :smile:

In a logical way, I agree with you :smile: but life isn't as straightforward as that, and accidents happen, and emotions can get in the way of clear thinking- not to mention religious views/ moral arguments etc...
So although a significant number probably would have an abortion, there will always be many who don't - and they just have to build their lives a little differently :smile:
Original post by MowNeek
But thats not always the case. I do know of people that did not finish school or go to varsity, but are doing very well for themselves. And its really difficult for a young girl to get an education while pregnant or taking care of a child because its just too much stress and she wont cope.

Yes but you're not giving yourself the best chances in life if you drop out. Also I live in a place where a lot of my friends and acquaintances have had babies in high school and yet they're getting on with their education fine. Girls aren't pussies and can deal with life
Original post by Ezme39
In a logical way, I agree with you :smile: but life isn't as straightforward as that, and accidents happen, and emotions can get in the way of clear thinking- not to mention religious views/ moral arguments etc...
So although a significant number probably would have an abortion, there will always be many who don't - and they just have to build their lives a little differently :smile:

Oh don't get me wrong. Two of my friends were young mothers, and great mothers they are too - and there is no way I could look at their kids and say "you should have had them flushed."

But on a (as you say) logical and impersonal level, I would sooner see young people get a start in life before having families.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending