The Student Room Group

More LU tube strikes....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33773658

Give me the training required to do such a job and I will gladly do the job without fuss. £10 per hour and I will be happy enough. I bet I still wont get hired despite my own generous offer.
Original post by Laomedeia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33773658

Give me the training required to do such a job and I will gladly do the job without fuss. £10 per hour and I will be happy enough. I bet I still wont get hired despite my own generous offer.

Err, unless you want to drive London Overground, you may not stand a chance.

Tfl do "internal recruiting" and it is effectively station staff who earn a "promotion" to tube drivers. If there is a shortage, then positions are advertised publicly.
Absolute joke, strikes and more strikes. If you can't handle your job give it to someone else.
Original post by F_shakeey
Absolute joke, strikes and more strikes. If you can't handle your job give it to someone else.

Why don't you get a bike?
Original post by footstool1924
Why don't you get a bike?

I'd rather not cycle on the A12 into central London. I pay them for a service I expect to get. It's quite childish, bus drivers work night shifts and they're more likely to be victims of physical abuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F_shakeey
I'd rather not cycle on the A12 into central London. I pay them for a service I expect to get. It's quite childish, bus drivers work night shifts and they're more likely to be victims of physical abuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if they are providing no service on that day, then don't pay them.
It's going to take me so long to get home from work tonight :cry2:
[video="youtube;0dftDPLAylU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dftDPLAylU[/video]

Sums it all up pretty well.
Original post by footstool1924
Well, if they are providing no service on that day, then don't pay them.

I won't but it's a disruption to many.

Original post by Anonymoùs
[video="youtube;0dftDPLAylU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dftDPLAylU[/video]

Sums it all up pretty well.

30k? 60k+ straight from the mouth of LU tube drivers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's going to cost me extra money on top of my expensive weekly travelcard to get to work and back home :facepalm: When tube is operating, it takes me about an hour to get home from work, today it took me 2 hours :unimpressed:

During their last strike, I was stuck on a bus in traffic for 2 hours :erm:

Commuters should go on strike too and then no one would be using public transport :colonhash:

Also, because of all this pathetic tube strike, other people have to suffer.
(edited 8 years ago)
TFL's routemaster buses cost the taxpayer 160m and have problems with the batteries so for the most part they are running on diesel despite the much vaunted environmentally friendly claims that were made by TFL and the Mayor of London's office. Not too mention that added, originally unbudgeted, cost of the diesel too, picked up by the taxpayer.

In 2013 the Daily Fail estimated that despite considerable sponsorship from Barclays, the TFL cycle scheme was costing 11m a year despite the Mayor promising that it would be at no cost to the taxpayer. At the time of that article, this equated to each Londoner paying 4,000 f*cking pounds PER BIKE.

And don't even get me started on that stupid Cable Car which, again, costs millions per year to run. Having lived in London over a year, I haven't even met anyone who's ever been on it.

I bring these points up for two reasons. First, if we're on about sordid wastes of money, LU stuff don't even come close to the top of the pile.

Second (and more importantly since this dispute isn't primarily about money), LU staff are saying the night tube rollout is being implemented too soon and are raising significant safety concerns over 1. the age of the rolling stock and poor state of repair of some parts of the track and 2. the reduced time available for engineering and repair of the aforementioned.

And frankly, I'm more inclined to believe the LU staff who are maintaining this track every day (remember; drivers are a tiny percentage of the people on strike here) than TFL and the Mayor of London's office who have an absolutely dire record on commuter transport this decade. Based on their prior 'achievements', I'd be willing to wager that when we look back on the night tube in a couple of years time, it will turn out to be a massive drain on money that costs the taxpayer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Disruption waaaaaaaaaaaa it's ridiculous waaaaaaaaaaa
Reply 12
Each londoner paying 4k per bike erm ok lets do the maths...each londoner 8.63 mill people....4k ..per bike approx 10000 bikes ...sorry love but i cant sqyeeze 8.63 mill x 4000 x 10000 into your 11 mill figure
Original post by goody657
Each londoner paying 4k per bike erm ok lets do the maths...each londoner 8.63 mill people....4k ..per bike approx 10000 bikes ...sorry love but i cant sqyeeze 8.63 mill x 4000 x 10000 into your 11 mill figure

Each Londoner that cycles using a Boris bike - if that's the case then only 2750 Londoners use Boris bikes
Original post by StretfordEnd

And don't even get me started on that stupid Cable Car which, again, costs millions per year to run. Having lived in London over a year, I haven't even met anyone who's ever been on it.

I know we've not met, but I have been on the cable car. I went once during the Olympics.

As for the buses with the back door, what's the point? You have a conductor who doesn't take fares as you cannot pay by cash.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending