The Student Room Group

psychosis and self-harm

Scroll to see replies

10 years strong, that's a really long time! I'm really proud of you
Original post by erinackerley
Psychiatrists have turned a blind eye to me so I've had to cope with this alone so I know a few tips, not sure if they'll work with others or not but I know what you're going through :smile: whenever the voices in my head tell me to do things repeated I shut my eyes and put my hands and my ears and scream in my head telling them to shut up as loud as I can over and over so it blocks them out until they get the message, and if that doesn't work then I find my mum or my brother and I start a conversation with them cause they don't want to be found out, or people to discover them so they sometimes be quiet when I'm talking to others. If that doesn't work then a get a pen and scratch my arm with that - if they're telling me to hurt myself - so I feel something but it doesn't inflict pain or scars. Can't think of anymore at the minute sorry

Thank you for your reply. People close to me already know I hear these commands but a big problem a lot of the time is that I often don't have anyone I can talk to. It does help to have a conversation but that requires a second, willing participant. :frown:

I tried the whole ice/elastic band thing in the past. As well as drawing on myself with red pen - ie the kind of coping strategies you find advised online. Not sure about scratching my arm with a pen: I think if I scratched hard enough I could probably break the skin.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for your reply. People close to me already know I hear these commands but a big problem a lot of the time is that I often don't have anyone I can talk to. It does help to have a conversation but that requires a second, willing participant. :frown:

I tried the whole ice/elastic band thing in the past. As well as drawing on myself with red pen - ie the kind of coping strategies you find advised online. Not sure about scratching my arm with a pen: I think if I scratched hard enough I could probably break the skin.

If you ever need to talk - no matter what the time - email me at [email protected] and I'll reply as soon as I see it. If you feel like I'm not replying quick enough then download project toe! (Whoever downloads it chooses if they want to help or get help when they open the app and then they put you through to the opposite of what you've picked - it's like a one time counselling session with someone). It doesn't necessary have to be a pen, you could use a ruler or something that's not as sharp :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest