The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

newbie looking for some OU ideas for study

Hi everyone.

New to the forum. Seriously thinking about signing up for an OU course but
was looking for some pointers. I was toying with the idea of some kind of art/humanities/social course but was a bit worried about the prospect of 'doing it all alone' - can anyone recommend a course that has possibly some form of occasional contact with other students etc. I have not completely looked through all the available courses and have posted here by way of eagerness

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions
I'm due to start some OU modules in March. Having never studied at the OU before, I'm obviously not going to be an expert but here's my perception of what it will be like.

For a lot of courses, there are online discussions for students to share ideas. You are allocated a local personal tutor and have the option to attend tutorials which involve small groups of students getting together.

You certainly won't be all on your own. The support will be there for you if you choose and want to to use it.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I started with the OU in 2005, expecting it to be an isolated sort of experience. Couldn't be more wrong!

The OU has an online conferencing system, with dedicated regional and course conferences, which provide 24/7 online interaction if you want it.

Level 1 courses usually offer face to face tutorials every fortnight or so, although there are fewer tutorials at higher level (owing to there being fewer students enrolled on level 2, 3 and PG courses).

The social aspect of the OU was totally unexpected and a complete bonus for me.

Good luck whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you both for you kind and prompt advice

I have more enthusiasm now i think :smile:

Latest