The Student Room Group

What war crime has Tony Blair committed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smack
That chart lists their global revenue, not their revenue from Iraq only.

I think it's relevant in that if their revenue in the worst year of the Iraq War was no higher than before the Iraq War, they could hardly be said to be doing particularly well.

Although I don't think that this is a particularly important facet to the discussion.

Agreed.
Original post by Smack

I've seen you use this article earlier in the thread, and I'm sorry, but it's far too simplistic to use as evidence to back up your assertion that the Chinese have benefited more or the most out of the liberalisation of Iraq's oil industry.

China imports half of all Iraqi oil, and they are the number one source of foreign direct investment in the Iraqi oil industry.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2014/0627/Why-China-stays-quiet-on-Iraq-despite-being-no.-1-oil-investor-video

In any case, I think we are probably on the same page in that we both agree that oil is fungible, so any increase in production will have the same proportionate downward pressure on prices and the US can simply buy oil elsewhere that the Chinese aren't buying due to this new source.

I think everybody benefits from lower prices. I also think we are on the same page regarding motivation and so on (that it was a motivation but far from a prime motivation, but equally it's not an illegitimate motivation within certain reasonable bounds)
Reply 42
What does Tony Blair have to do with this
Original post by SignFromDog
I see lots of uneducated, shouty people going on about Tony Blair being a war criminal. Can they please explain what war crime Tony Blair has committed?

Although some People argue that Iraq was illegal, there was no war crime committed. (It's a bit like shouting down somebody you don't agree with being homophobic/racists/sexist/fascist etc)

Some of those who disagreed with Iraq will just say it's illegal because it's easier for them to say that than argue the moral reasons why they didn't agree with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MatureStudent36
Although some People argue that Iraq was illegal, there was no war crime committed. (It's a bit like shouting down somebody you don't agree with being homophobic/racists/sexist/fascist etc)

Some of those who disagreed with Iraq will just say it's illegal because it's easier for them to say that than argue the moral reasons why they didn't agree with it.

The only possible crime that Blair could have committed is a crime against peace. Whether crimes against peace stand aside from or are one category of war crime is definitional. Jackson J said at Nuremberg;-

To initiate a war of aggression (the archetypical crime against peace), therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.

so he regarded a crime against peace as a war crime.

Blair would have committed a crime against peace if he knew or believed the casus belli to be untrue.
Reply 45
Has blair personally benefited from his actions in any way?
Original post by nulli tertius
The only possible crime that Blair could have committed is a crime against peace. Whether crimes against peace stand aside from or are one category of war crime is definitional. Jackson J said at Nuremberg;-

so he regarded a crime against peace as a war crime.

Blair would have committed a crime against peace if he knew or believed the casus belli to be untrue.

Blair only gets called a war criminal if he is found guilty in a international court of law.

12 years after the event Blair et al haven't be indicted.
Blair only gets called a war criminal if he is found guilty in a international court of law.

12 years after the event Blair et al haven't be indicted.

I didn't use the expression "war criminal". I said "would have committed a crime against peace"

Fred West, undoubtedly committed murder. Was he, a man who was not tried or convicted by any court, a murderer?

Moreover, once you start down the route of saying that conviction is necessary to describing someone as a war criminal, you are going have to deal with the men with moustaches.
I didn't use the expression "war criminal". I said "would have committed a crime against peace"

Fred West, undoubtedly committed murder. Was he, a man who was not tried or convicted by any court, a murderer?

Moreover, once you start down the route of saying that conviction is necessary to describing someone as a war criminal, you are going have to deal with the men with moustaches.

Fred west was found guilty in a court of law.

No country has ever tried to indicte Blair et al.

I remember going into Basra as a younger lad. I was welcomed as a liberator by the population.
Fred west was found guilty in a court of law.

No he wasn't

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_West

No country has ever tried to indicte Blair et al.

I remember going into Basra as a younger lad. I was welcomed as a liberator by the population.

Without being disrespectful you were welcomed by the people Saddam oppressed. His allies and supporters would have made themselves scarce. We however did not go to war because Saddam was being nasty to the people of Basra.

Blair is very vulnerable to changes in political fortune. There is no guarantee that Cameron would protect Blair from The Hague if Chilcot revealed a smoking gun and Corbyn would hardly mount a protest.
No he wasn't

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_West

Without being disrespectful you were welcomed by the people Saddam oppressed. His allies and supporters would have made themselves scarce. We however did not go to war because Saddam was being nasty to the people of Basra.

Blair is very vulnerable to changes in political fortune. There is no guarantee that Cameron would protect Blair from The Hague if Chilcot revealed a smoking gun and Corbyn would hardly mount a protest.

There was a hell of. Lot of people throughout all of irAq who were glad he was gone.

He did after all invade three neighbouring countries.

Fire missiles at a third.

Used chemical weapons against civilians.

Break his nuclear non proliferation treaty obligations.

I'll loose no sleep he's gone. We won the war and f****d up the end game.

I tend to find the only peole who call Blair a war criminal are those on the extreme left of the politely spectrum who are more upset that Blair destroyed old labour and use this war cry as a means of tracking the man whilst ignoring the fact that old labour is dead.

12 years have gone by. Nothing new is going to come out of Chilcot.
(edited 8 years ago)

I tend to find the only peole who call Blair a war criminal are those on the extreme left of the politely spectrum who are more upset that Blair destroyed old labour and use this war cry as a means of tracking the man whilst ignoring the fact that old labour is dead.

I think you are mistaken as to the unpopularity of Blair on the political right.

In a sense that is irrelevant to the politico-legal questions.

Could a "crimes against peace" prosecution be sustained against Blair to which the answer is we do not know. We don't yet know what the contemporary record shows of what Blair knew and believed at the time.

Would the present or any conceivable future British government protect him if an attempt to prosecute was made? That is seriously doubtful.

I don't think you are right about Chilcot. That is why the can is being continually kicked down the road and why the Maxwellisation process is proving so difficult.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think you are mistaken as to the unpopularity of Blair on the political right.

The Iraq conflict was authorised by a HoC vote to which most of the Conservative Party assented, so how safe are they? If you want to argue that the HoC, though in practice having the ability to veto the whole thing, did not have direct executive responsibility for the conflict, could not Blair argue that it should be HM the Queen standing in the dock instead of him?
Original post by Observatory
The Iraq conflict was authorised by a HoC vote to which most of the Conservative Party assented, so how safe are they? If you want to argue that the HoC, though in practice having the ability to veto the whole thing, did not have direct executive responsibility for the conflict, could not Blair argue that it should be HM the Queen standing in the dock instead of him?

No, because as I said earlier, he would have committed a crime against peace if he, personally, knew or believed the casus belli to be untrue. I don't think it is arguable that the House of Commons collectively believed it to be untrue.

That means that either he did not believe Goldsmith's advice that the existing UN resolutions authorised military action (and in addition an international court finds that they didn't-this is necessary because a belief that something is unlawful can't make it unlawful if in fact it was lawful) or he knew or believed that Saddam was in substantial compliance with the UN resolutions about WMD.

The fact that the war may have been lawful in domestic law does not necessarily make it lawful in international law.

However it would be questionable weather in these circumstances it would be lawful in domestic law. However, the UK has a very poorly worked out domestic law of public misconduct by minsters. There is statutory provision for misconduct by colonial governors but nothing relating to ministers. Therefore the charge would have to be misfeasance in public office which is an indictable offence. The other theoretical possibility, impeachment for a high crime or misdemeanour is, I think, inconceivable. The difficulty with a trial, other than an impeachment, is Article 9 of the Bill of Rights; the questioning of Parliamentary proceedings out of Parliament.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, because as I said earlier, he would have committed a crime against peace if he, personally, knew or believed the casus belli to be untrue. I don't think it is arguable that the House of Commons collectively believed it to be untrue.

If for Blair, why can it not be for individual MPs?
Sending this country into a war using a dodgy, sexed up dossier. So, basically sending us to war on false premises. And yes, just because he's prime minister doesn't mean that he can do whatever the **** he likes. People need to grow up.
Original post by Observatory
If for Blair, why can it not be for individual MPs?

In theory they can but there are two issues; causation and evidence.

The vote in favour in military action did not pass narrowly. Unless one can say that a lot of MPs voted dishonestly, no one dishonest backbencher had any effect on the decision.

Unless a backbencher fesses up, how do you prove that the backbencher's vote was not due to what he heard from ministers in the debate even if he had previously been sceptical of military action?
It is accused of being a war crime on the grounds of Saddam not posing 'immediate threat to his neighbours' or 'threatening international peace.' It was approved in parliament however parliament are still under the jurisdiction of UN. It's unsure whether he actually committed crimes, hence why people say him and Bush should be put on trail. If you research you'll find some pressure groups who justify with with leaked documents showing Blair trying to find a legal way into war, making us suspicious of him knowing it's illegal, however it's a really dodgy situation as there isn't really enough evidence(known to public) that says it's a war crime/peace crime. It seems that, to me, they could have tried other ways before going into war which would make it a crime as there is an international law that says war can only be done once a list of things have been tried such as negotiation. I struggle with the answer myself to be honest with you as you can probably tell but that's because it's an ongoing thing and there isn't enough neutral information. My gut feeling is that it's not technically a crime as he would have been prosecuted by now, he should be trailed so everyone can know a definite answer. I don't agree with what he did, but I'm not sure whether it's illegal.
Umm quite clear, the crime of aggression which is a crime in international law. Contrary to Articles 33 and 51 of the UN Charter.

You may disagree with the merits of such a decision but legally Blair committed a war crime, that's not an opinion but a legal position.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SignFromDog
How was the Iraq War illegal? It was consistent with international law and approved by the British parliament (which, in case you have forgotten, is the supreme lawmaking body in our society)

It wasn't consistent with international law and having British parliamentary approval has no effect whatsoever on the international legal position. The Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties makes it absolutely clear that national law can not be used as a defence for violating international law.

He instigated a war of aggression, not in self-defence and not approved by the UN Security Council.

Whatever you think about the merits of the Iraq war, it was an illegal war whic constitutes an international crime of aggression.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending