The Student Room Group

"I am not a feminist"

Thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

All of the above is true, and we should be less afraid to turn around and say it.
My primary thought is why, if one believes in equality for all genders, would they refuse to identify as a feminist?
Original post by LEuphoria
My primary thought is why, if one believes in equality for all genders, would they refuse to identify as a feminist?

Would you also expect a person who claims to believe in equality to identify as a communist?
@thesabbath

That is a good point; the stereotypical view of communism is that of Russia in the past, and this would make people steer clear of identifying themselves as one. However, I believe if someone is denying the label of a feminist due to the fear of being stuck in a box with the extreme men-hating types of feminists, then they are only further accepting that that stereotype of feminism is the norm. The only way to overcome that stereotype is to have a diverse range of people identifying as feminists, so wide that the group cannot possibly be generalised in the way that the person in this picture is doing. Also, quite frankly, if a person is rejecting feminism in the aggressive manner that they are in this photo, then they will probably evoke an 'angry feminist' reaction, which will mean their interactions with feminists will probably be those of their own 'angry feminist ' stereotype, probably not giving them a comprehensive and broad perception of the group they are claiming they are nothing like.
@thesabbath

That is a good point; the stereotypical view of communism is that of Russia in the past, and this would make people steer clear of identifying themselves as one. However, I believe if someone is denying the label of a feminist due to the fear of being stuck in a box with the extreme men-hating types of feminists, then they are only further accepting that that stereotype of feminism is the norm. The only way to overcome that stereotype is to have a diverse range of people identifying as feminists, so wide that the group cannot possibly be generalised in the way that the person in this picture is doing. Also, quite frankly, if a person is rejecting feminism in the aggressive manner that they are in this photo, then they will probably evoke an 'angry feminist' reaction, which will mean their interactions with feminists will probably be those of their own 'angry feminist ' stereotype, probably not giving them a comprehensive and broad perception of the group they are claiming they are nothing like.

The image of "feminism" is of concern only to self-identified feminists who can't accept that their movement is toxic to both men and women. Anti-feminists aren't going to help them out by wearing the mantle, they're going to distance themselves from it.

Would you also say that everyone who believes in God is immediately a Christian? Just because you hold the same morals and beliefs as another person doesn't immediately make you a follower of his or her philosophy, lifestyle or movement.
I stopped taking it seriously after "Yes I do believe in equality and equity for both genders".

Honestly, I think this semantics game of "what is a feminist" is a cover. Now you can get these "moderate feminst apologists" who claim to have killed feminists but carried the flag for them, turning more and more people in to egalitarians and encouraging the original Marxist message in a more palatable way.
Reply 8
Lol a bit dramatic and doesn't quite make sense. Not a feminist but not against women having equal rights?

Does that just mean she's indifferent? Well if she's indifferent why did she go through the trouble of making this poster?

So many questions. I'm just going to assume a man made this:sad:
Feminism...

All I ever hear is them being force fed, yet you turn that around and they were trying to commit suicide and people were saving their lives. I'll never understand how saving people's lives is "sexist" but okay.
Very unpopular opinion but I'm going to go ahead and say it anyway.

We women in the western 'modern' societies seldom need feminism to "uplift" us. We are fine, and we live well!

It's often the olden traditional (read backward) cultures and third world societies for whom feminism could be lifesaving. Not allowed to go to school, and get married when you're 11. Yeah that's where you need feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A brief stint on Jezebel or even some time spent at university should answer that question rather quickly.

Feminism today has completely lost it, to put it frankly. Even the 'moderates' rally behind the most moronic, hypocritical campaigns in droves, all the while completely oblivious to how nuts and illogical the movement is becoming.

If its commonly given definition is to be believed, it is supposed to be about gender equality and fairness for all. But instead it gives us false information, rape hysteria, gender bias, relentless persecution, inequitable social policies, censorship, and absolutely mind-numbing melodrama over the stupidest, first-world-problemiest crap imaginable.

That's why.
Original post by Dandaman1
A brief stint on Jezebel or even some time spent at university should answer that question rather quickly.

Feminism today has completely lost it, to put it frankly. Even the 'moderates' rally behind the most moronic, hypocritical campaigns in droves, all the while completely oblivious to how nuts and illogical the movement is becoming.

If its commonly given definition is to be believed, it is supposed to be about gender equality and fairness for all. But instead it gives us false information, rape hysteria, gender bias, relentless persecution, inequitable social policies, censorship, and absolutely mind-numbing melodrama over the stupidest, first-world-problemiest crap imaginable.

That's why.

Well, if you look at youtube commentators, who make a large voice for anti-feminists according to their video viewcount, people like Sargon of Akkad, Vee_Monroe, TL; DR and so on... What you tend to find is they will say 'I'm for womens rights; I believe in equality for women... But I hate feminism!' And people rally around them for some reason. But look, this idea that there should be equality (and not finding it naturally) requires the scales to be artificially balanced by the state, giving them more and more power. It is an incestuous relationship designed to remove power from the individual and in to the hands of out fascist state. The consensus is that our fascist state is acceptible whilst previous ones were not, because we give rights to everybody.

This has to stop if we wish to assume the prefix 'Great' in our island's name valid again.
Original post by AristoBrat!
Very unpopular opinion but I'm going to go ahead and say it anyway.

We women in the western 'modern' societies seldom need feminism to "uplift" us. We are fine, and we live well!

It's often the olden traditional (read backward) cultures and third world societies for whom feminism could be lifesaving. Not allowed to go to school, and get married when you're 11. Yeah that's where you need feminism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Traditional=/=backwards or bad. You think women not being able to vote in the 1800s meant women had zero influence in the world and ceased to exist? Behind every great man is a woman, and if he's lucky- one in front of him too.
Original post by Dandaman1

That's why.

We have our answer here.... no need to carry on this thread.
Feminism is a massive injustice to all the driven, intelligent women out there who managed to succeed purely out of their own interest & determination, rather than the pity of others. Feminism is great, however, for all the below average, unambitious women whose only mode of getting somewhere in life is to perpetually act like the victim who the world needs to bend over backwards and lower its standards for, because she's just not cut out to accomplish things on her own merit.
Original post by Mister Morality
Traditional=/=backwards or bad. You think women not being able to vote in the 1800s meant women had zero influence in the world and ceased to exist? Behind every great man is a woman, and if he's lucky- one in front of him too.

I didn't say anything of the sort so I don't know where you're drawing your conclusions of the 1800s from. I was clearly talking about the current scenario. As for your last statement, I concur.

I believe in equality and I'm not a feminist. Why? Because idgaf about feminism tbh. I believe I have enough rights, I can do whatever I want. It does not concern me. 'Social injustice' is a petty matter imo and I don't see myself as a victim.
Yes, I am grateful for the feminists who fought for my rights decades, centuries ago but as of right now, no thank you, I'm good.

There are countries where women need feminism but I don't plan on going there and I don't plan on being an activist.

I'm also a bit conservative. Which automatically makes me narrow minded and backwards. Oh, well, I'll survive.
Freeeeeeak. No one asked you to call yourself a feminist go to bed.
I didn't say anything of the sort so I don't know where you're drawing your conclusions of the 1800s from. I was clearly talking about the current scenario. As for your last statement, I concur.

It's often the olden traditional (read backward) cultures and third world societies for whom feminism could be lifesaving.

That is what I took issue with. What traditional British times were you thinking of?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending