The Student Room Group

Do you think it's right/fair for charity collectors to hurl abuse at people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Iqbal007
Be aware that should they have permits and they aren't allowed to do such things...

j) Collectors MUST to avoid causing obstruction, congestion and nuisance to the public.

m) Collectors MUST NOT pressurise the public to give their support, but they can use reasonable persuasion.

o) Collectors MUST be able to give the public information on how to make a complaint.

p) Collectors MUST, when asked to do so, terminate their approach in a polite manner.

q) Collectors MUST be courteous at all times.

Don't think they'd read the manual when they approached me then :wink:
I think he is just a failed charity collector with poor social skills, and lack of manners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
I think he is just a failed charity collector with poor social skills, and lack of manners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair, if you are doing it as a job then its really a dead end, basically a gap job and for the serious money raisers there main job.

Original post by Hugs31
Don't think they'd read the manual when they approached me then :wink:

Record, complain, etc charity will get in trouble
Reply 23
You should have taken a picture of person and sent a complaint to the charity.

As I said, it all happened pretty quickly as we were walking past, during which time I was making sure not to look in the guy's direction. In hindsight, it probably would have been a good idea to get his details, but I didn't think anything of it at the time of it actually happening. I'll bear it in mind if it ever happens again, though.
To be fair, if you are doing it as a job then its really a dead end, basically a gap job and for the serious money raisers there main job.

Record, complain, etc charity will get in trouble

I totally agree with you 100%!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Reply 26
Original post by lustawny
I ask this because I was walking through town the other day with a friend of mine, and we happened to walk past a charity collector who was standing outside a shop and collecting donations for some charity or another. As we approached the guy, I could feel his eyes on me as he began to talk (presumably) about the charity he was collecting for. I instinctively made sure to not give him any eye contact of any kind, because that's obviously how they reel you in to the whole guilt trip that forces you to donate money (money which, unfortunately, I initially thought I needed for something else that day - otherwise I probably would have given him at least some small amount of money that I could afford to part with!).

The reason I've made this thread, though, is because the charity collector in question actually hurled abuse at me over the fact that I didn't make any sort of effort to give him any money. It was difficult to make out clearly, because this all happened pretty quickly as we were both walking along, but it was something along the lines of "Oh thanks a lot, you ****ing... [insert some other insult here]".

His outburst didn't affect me or anything (I think it says more about his personality than about mine, somehow), but it did make me wonder if this sort of behaviour is acceptable for charity collectors - in my opinion, it shouldn't be acceptable behaviour for any person, regardless of whether or not they're collecting money from people for a good cause.

What does everyone on here think?

well I reckon he had been tired of being rejected... I used to work as a charity collector and it's gotta be the hardest job in the world, gets really stressful when you've been at it for 6 hours and haven't made a penny so you feel a bit hostile.... basically the things the dude said to you were things I was saying in my head at people but never out loud, lol

needless to say, I quit after 2 days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending