The Student Room Group

A-Level Chem: Advice and Tips please?

Hi. I will be starting my AS in Chemistry in September.
We are on a new spec. but it is said to be similar content - anyway I was wondering if anyone had some tips for me!

I am on the AQA board.

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I finished A2 AQA this year with an A* :smile:

The most important tip in A-level chemistry is to not fall behind. You don't want to be lost in lesson. You need to make sure you are putting 100% into your lessons, asking questions when you're stuck, seeing the teacher outside of lesson if you need more help etc... For me personally, I would read the chapter that we did in the last lesson before our next lesson (usually on the bus in the morning in the textbook). This short, 5-10 minute read would refresh my memory and allow me to take in the new information a lot more easily. I made sure I never left the class confused. I would also leave my homework until the day before, as I think if you do it the night you get it then you might forget it by next lesson..(this is just me personally though)

For AQA, there is a fair bit of exam technique required to get the top grades. Therefore, you need to preserve past papers until revision. I wouldn't start doing revision until about March/April (and also for December/January mocks, where I did one past paper for practice usually). Do the past papers under timed conditions. If you want, you can do them twice, I would only do the calculations twice usually. Calculations are becoming more important in the new spec so make sure you are very confident in your maths. They are worth a lot of marks in the exam.

During AS I used the AQA textbook and CGP revision guide. For A2, I used the AQA textbook, CGP textbook and CGP revision guide. In addition, I used www.chemguide.co.uk and the creator of that website's book (calculations in a-level chemistry, worth the money IMO). Also watched youtube videos for light revision at home (newcastlechemistry mainly, tywin lannister, he's a funny guy)

quote me/PM me if you have any specific questions or anything I haven't covered here, I'm gonna be starting a chemistry degree this October so I'll still be able to help (hopefully) :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Dylann
I finished A2 AQA this year with an A* :smile:

The most important tip in A-level chemistry is to not fall behind. You don't want to be lost in lesson. You need to make sure you are putting 100% into your lessons, asking questions when you're stuck, seeing the teacher outside of lesson if you need more help etc... For me personally, I would read the chapter that we did in the last lesson before our next lesson (usually on the bus in the morning in the textbook). This short, 5-10 minute read would refresh my memory and allow me to take in the new information a lot more easily. I made sure I never left the class confused. I would also leave my homework until the day before, as I think if you do it the night you get it then you might forget it by next lesson..(this is just me personally though)

For AQA, there is a fair bit of exam technique required to get the top grades. Therefore, you need to preserve past papers until revision. I wouldn't start doing revision until about March/April (and also for December/January mocks, where I did one past paper for practice usually). Do the past papers under timed conditions. If you want, you can do them twice, I would only do the calculations twice usually. Calculations are becoming more important in the new spec so make sure you are very confident in your maths. They are worth a lot of marks in the exam.

During AS I used the AQA textbook and CGP revision guide. For A2, I used the AQA textbook, CGP textbook and CGP revision guide. In addition, I used www.chemguide.co.uk and the creator of that website's book (calculations in a-level chemistry, worth the money IMO). Also watched youtube videos for light revision at home (newcastlechemistry mainly, tywin lannister, he's a funny guy)

quote me/PM me if you have any specific questions or anything I haven't covered here, I'm gonna be starting a chemistry degree this October so I'll still be able to help (hopefully) :smile:

This was so useful, thank you! I will message you if I have any further Qs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending