The Student Room Group

medicine without chem??

hi all,

im in year 11 and ive chosen bio + psych + english lit.
my ultimate goal is to become a psychiatrist.
can i get into a medicine course without chemistry?
i absolutely hate chem even at GCSE level so is it smart to switch to chem and scrape a B? and then end up with AAB or to not do chem and get all A's?
if i get enough work experience in medicine, and if my PS is rlly good, do i stand a chance?
thank you :smile:
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by kshaikhl19
hi all,

i absolutely hate chem even at GCSE level so is it smart to switch to chem and scrape a B? and then end up with AAB or to not do chem and get all A's?
if i get enough work experience in medicine, and if my PS is rlly good, do i stand a chance?

It's not about having a good PS or lots of WEx, if a med school requires chemistry and you don't offer it, you will be rejected. Check out the A levels thread linked in the post above and you will see there are abiout 10 med schools you can apply to with that combination of A levels
Reply 3
hi all,

Chem is sort of regarded as compulsory in many if not most cases of when applying for med (Im guessing ur applying for MBBS or MBChB). Chem and another science is usually required.
It is true it's quite a difficult subject and take that from a year 13 but I don't think being bad at a specific science during GCSE exactly reflects it's difficulty in A levels if you get what I mean. It depends on if at the end of the day you get what the question is asking you.
You still technically have a few years to think it through and u really should bc med is a tough decision.
Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by HAPAX_63
Chem is sort of regarded as compulsory in many if not most cases of when applying for med (Im guessing ur applying for MBBS or MBChB). Chem and another science is usually required.
It is true it's quite a difficult subject and take that from a year 13 but I don't think being bad at a specific science during GCSE exactly reflects it's difficulty in A levels if you get what I mean. It depends on if at the end of the day you get what the question is asking you.
You still technically have a few years to think it through and u really should bc med is a tough decision.
Hope this helps!

There are 13 med schools that do not need chemistry, though most of those need bio and a 2nd science
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD
There are 13 med schools that do not need chemistry, though most of those need bio and a 2nd science

so if i apply to those med schools that also consider psych as a science would i have a better chance?
and if i dont get in, lets say, would it be a good idea to take a gap year and do chem a level?
Reply 6
so if i apply to those med schools that also consider psych as a science would i have a better chance?
and if i dont get in, lets say, would it be a good idea to take a gap year and do chem a level?

If you apply to somewhere that requires Chem, when you don't have it, it would be an immediate rejection. You need to meet all entry requirements, then your application will be scored/ranked. So without all your stats it is impossible to say what your chances are, but they are better than the zero at places that need chemistry.
If you get at least AAA in the first sit of your A levels, then, yes, you could sit chemistry in a year applying for medicine
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 7
thank you!
Reply 8
in case anyone was interested, i did decide to drop english lit and swap it for chem! ive emailed the school about this (they dont take phone during xmas holidays) so fingers crossed theyll say yes!
Reply 9
in case anyone was interested, i did decide to drop english lit and swap it for chem! ive emailed the school about this (they dont take phone during xmas holidays) so fingers crossed theyll say yes!

just curious , if you dont mind answering , why didn't you pick chemistry instead of english lit in the first place?
any reason ? also I hope they do say yes!!
Reply 10
Original post by Alm_xo
just curious , if you dont mind answering , why didn't you pick chemistry instead of english lit in the first place?
any reason ? also I hope they do say yes!!

i was really scared tbh…. chem isn’t my strong subject and lately i haven’t enjoyed it at school. but i’ve realized that i kind of need chem and it’s worth it of struggling for 2 years and pushing through to hopefully get an A in chem! but my parents reassured me that i could do it if i put my mind to it so i just needed some reassurance lol

i really really hope they say yes 😭
Reply 11
At most medical schools they teach you the biology as if you have never studied it before. There is a lot of chemistry that you are just expected to know. They certainly don’t stop to teach you the first principles of chemistry behind it. When we were doing enzyme reactions this first year, for instance, there was a lot of stuff about equilibriums in that where I thought, Christ I’m glad I did chemistry and not biology.

I’m not saying that’s a reason to do chemistry, I’m saying that’s why they ideally want you to have it and why it’s useful.

Yes, you can get away without it. But I t will narrow the pool of universities you can apply to. A bad UCAT could potentially strip you down even further. Ideally, you want as wide pool of places open to you as possible.

Your plan to drop chemistry basically carries about the same risk as if you did it.

There are a lot of resources out there that can help you get better at chemistry and there are benefits to having done it which you’ll see once you get there.

Up to you in the end.
Reply 12
i was really scared tbh…. chem isn’t my strong subject and lately i haven’t enjoyed it at school. but i’ve realized that i kind of need chem and it’s worth it of struggling for 2 years and pushing through to hopefully get an A in chem! but my parents reassured me that i could do it if i put my mind to it so i just needed some reassurance lol

i really really hope they say yes 😭

Oh its okay , just push through those 2 years and see where it gets you.
Good Luck!
Reply 13
hi all,

hi i got chem! 🙂 so in september, i will be doing biology, chemistry and psychology.
Reply 14
Hey there , Newcastle accepts entry into medicine without chemistry .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending