The Student Room Group

Anxiety increasing- financial problems and poor dental health

Basically, my anxiety disorder recently has been flairing up, due to stressful life at the moment.

I have just finished uni and am hoping to move away to live with my partner 150miles away, however, we're both really stressed; trying to get rent and deposit together has proved hard. I work about 15hrs a week at £6.50 NMW (national min wage), and I'm having to pay a bit here a bit there, sending to my partner.

Also, I can't move over because I don't have a job yet, and can barely afford my therapy sessions et cetera, on top of this my dental health is real bad. Years of neglect (my own fault I know), although I now brush twice daily (with occasional forgetfulness on a night), drank pop for years, and failed to incorporate flossing into my daily routine.

Last time I went to my dentist was months ago, and I'm well past my checkup date, I fear my dentist has kicked me off patient list (NHS). The reason I don't go as often is because I have a fear of the dentists, fear of drills, fear of not been in control. Plus, I'm deeply embarrassed. When I moved back home from uni first time around (dropped out) I was severely depressed and had a rotten tooth, had to have root canal and fillings in like 4 different teeth. The dentist was patient with me, but as times gone on, they are very sort of anxiety provoking.

On top of all of this, I drink a lot of alcohol, before work often, and I know this can't be good for my teeth. I guess I'm probably borderline alcoholic too, having used it to curb my anxiety and depression (even tho alcohol is a depressant). It's just I've tried all sorts, NHS therapy, private, meds- and still go to booze.

What advice can be given to me? Too many issues and embarrassments, I want to not show my face or open my mouth.
I'm sorry you are having a difficult time. Dentists are medical professionals, and they know that dental health can suffer when you have mental health problems. I don't have anxiety, but I don't like dentists; I have to force myself to go along, and it's never as bad as I imagine it is going to be. You probably know that it won't be, but anxiety makes it difficult. I would urge you to phone and make an appointment. If there is any problem getting an appointment, play the anxiety card, tell them you've been finding it difficult to do things, but you're really worried about your dental health. You can do it.

You're right, self-medicating with alcohol is not the answer. You probably also know that to address anxiety you will have to face a few scary scenarios - like forcing yourself to go to the dentist. But when you succeed at things, you should gain confidence.

Have you looked at mindfulness? I know several people who have found it very helpful. Read about it online, and try it. It can sound a bit hippy-dippy at first, but do think about giving it a go. Good luck; believe in yourself, be kind to yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest