The Student Room Group

GOGSoc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Da Bachtopus
Well, some of them are better for certain types of paper than others.

Ah, I forget that there are disciplines other than literature sometimes :biggrin:

Referencing will always be tedious - why not make it that little bit extra tedious for some people in some disciplines, make them write a slightly more convoluted reference, so that there is consistency across the board? I'd rather spend the extra time doing that, and in return, know that whatever I'm reading will be referenced in exactly the same way. But I guess, as you say, there's no regulating body to oversee it - perhaps the gogs should become it? :wink:

hobnob
In Germany, every lecturer tends to have his own preferred system of referencing, and if you don't conform to it when you write your coursework, you can be marked down quite harshly. The Germans are a fussy lot...:s-smilie:

Yikes :s-smilie: That is madness.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmdius/uc114-i/uc11402.htm

Bill RammellL: We always hear the arguments about those subjects that need more spent and we need people to say credibly where the reductions in funding should come from.

Q27 Chairman: Medieval history?

Bill Rammell: That is your view is it, Chairman?

Dr Turner: Our favourite is media studies. That is just an aside.

Q28 Chairman: That is not a view of the Committee.

Bill Rammell: Media studies actually have very good outcomes in term of employability and if we are going to enter into a debate about which subjects ---

Q29 Chairman: Minister, do not go down that route!

Bill Rammell: All right.

It's sad really that the government can be as blinkered as a 17 yr old TSRian :frown:
Reply 982
PQ
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmdius/uc114-i/uc11402.htm

It's sad really that the government can be as blinkered as a 17 yr old TSRian :frown:

Ian Gibson makes some insightful comments as usual there though. OF course, the government are instituting plans to completely screw over any hope of having decent academic research continue in this country in the next generation, so it doesn't suprise me that they are ignorant.
Reply 983
PQ

Perhaps he is actually on TSR: link:wink:
Anyone seen the front page of the latest THES where there's a quote from an actual letter between a staff member and the VC regarding the RAE

It goes something like this "Vice Chancellor, can I just point out that this research assessment exercise is a crock of ****. An absolute load of ********. I know it, you know it, we all know it. So why don't we just admit it and get on with something worthwhile?"

Couldn't agree more personnally.
Thes??
Times Higher Educational Suppliment

(for what it's worth we spent a good 3 hours today worrying that we'd sent our office christmas decorations off with all of the RAE submissions :rofl: )
Haha!
In other news - PQ go back to modding and get rid of the facists? :p:
Ethereal
In other news - PQ go back to modding and get rid of the facists? :p:

what work for free for a company which I think is run by a bunch of incompetent and opportunistic greedy muppets?....no thanks
i think i've managed to upset the owners as well as the mods. Score for Ethereal :biggrin:
I've been meaning to join GOGSoc for a while. Can I be added to the list?

MB
Reply 993
musicbloke
I've been meaning to join GOGSoc for a while. Can I be added to the list?

MB

Of course. Just follow the link in my sig.
PQ
what work for free for a company which I think is run by a bunch of incompetent and opportunistic greedy muppets?....no thanks

ive been in debates recently with immature mods who are clearly lashing out at me by deleting posts and leaving insulting warning points. it's interesting to see how poor the mods are at holding an argument - it turns into insults and lies (literally). tsr has gone down the pan in a big way recently and i think some of the existing mods should **** off because they are going to give tsr a bad rep.
oh btw pq, i've been informally asked to join your uni in the new academic year so i hope you have a good welcome package :wink: (assuming my current job applications to other unis fail).
Reply 996
The Boosh
oh btw pq, i've been informally asked to join your uni in the new academic year so i hope you have a good welcome package :wink: (assuming my current job applications to other unis fail).

GOGSoc Involved in Academic Incest.:eek: I can already see the headlines in the Guardian...
"academic incest"? is it wrong to find that arousing?
Reply 998
The Boosh
"academic incest"? is it wrong to find that arousing?

Yes, but it's not exactly surprising...:p:
you cheeky bitch!!!!

i hope you develop a horrible yorkie accent.

Latest

Trending

Trending