The Student Room Group

How to build a new wardrobe?

I'm not usually someone who spends a lot of money on clothes. Sure, I own some nice things, but a lot of the things I wear are years old and from my younger years. I'm 23 now and feel it's time to start dressing perhaps more like a man/ gentleman.

After doing some research the best thing to do appears to buy clothes that are versatile and work with each other, maximising the possible number of combinations.

To start off I'm prepared to spend £400-£500 on this. I understand if I want to build a whole new wardrobe this probably isn't enough (especially if I want to buy quality items) but I feel it might make a good start. I start my job next year where I'll have the money to spend more on this anyway!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what things I should think about buying first and how to go about this? I'm thinking of having a list in my head and just heading to town at some point. Suggestions for stores to visit would be great.
(edited 8 years ago)
go on ebay and buy some jacket/suits as they are relatively cheap compared to the retail values normally less than 5-10% of original retail values
Reply 2
Like you said, buy versatile items that can be worn with anything. Colours like black are good because black goes well with everything. You could also invest in some pieces like an expensive coat.

Original post by jamesthehustler
go on ebay and buy some jacket/suits as they are relatively cheap compared to the retail values normally less than 5-10% of original retail values

I agree with this, you can also use an app called depop and search for particular things that are either new or used once but there are also small boutiques on there that sell their clothes via the app, the clothes are brand new but are inexpensive. These shops are really good if you like vintage/90s/80s clothes but there are other styles there too. The ASOS marketplace is a really good place for that as well, there are so many small shops on there selling amazing clothes that aren't that expensive. The ASOS website in general is really good because there are so many individual clothing brands on one website.
Reply 3
Thanks guys! Useful advice +rep

Quick Reply

Latest