The Student Room Group

Why so many homeless people in the UK? turning into a 3rd world country

Why so many homeless people in the UK? turning into a 3rd world country

I walk through town and at least 4 people ask me for "change". What's going on? thought we had an adequate welfare system.

Scroll to see replies

I personally see a lot of Eastern European homeless people around where I live. They came here without any income or jobs secured, poor grasp of the language, hoping to live off benefits. And when that didn't work out as well as they hoped, that's what happens. It's because so many people think they can have a better life in the UK. And whilst some certainly do, it's not always the case. But it's hard to dispel this from some people's imaginations. Humans are stubborn.
Reply 2
Original post by strangesquark
I personally see a lot of Eastern European homeless people around where I live. They came here without any income or jobs secured, poor grasp of the language, hoping to live off benefits. And when that didn't work out as well as they hoped, that's what happens. It's because so many people think they can have a better life in the UK. And whilst some certainly do, it's not always the case. But it's hard to dispel this from some people's imaginations. Humans are stubborn.

So you've gone up to some of them and had a conversation, where you learnt that they came here without any income, or a secure job, have a poor grasp of the English language and were hoping to live off benefits?......
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3

3 out 4 i came across today (on average this is how many i come across) spoke perfect english.
It's sad and depressing, and it's just going to get worse with this influx of refugees.
Original post by NHM713
So you've gone up to some of them and had a conversation, where you learn that they came here without any income, or a secure job, have a poor grasp of the English language and were hoping to live off benefits?......

Not every single one that's in my area, but would you if you think that's a reasonable thing to do please feel free to do so yourself.

One of them did approached me as I was on my way home not long ago. It was a long conversation because as I said, they didn't speak very good English. She told me she couldn't get a job because her English isn't good and no-one would help her. Well sure, I can understand why finding a job is hard if you don't speak the language. But somehow, the woman that spoke to me still thinks she's better off living in the UK, even if she's homeless and begging for money.
Reply 6
Original post by Carpe Vinum
It's sad and depressing, and it's just going to get worse with this influx of refugees.

Not really they will be looked after. Most the people i come across are white not sure if they are european immigrants but they speak good english. Most likely drug/alcohol dependency however that's been the case for years. The amount i'm coming across now is crazy. Surely more needs to be done. I've seen people handing out food but it's not enough when the weather will turn soon.
Reply 7
Original post by Bill_Gates
3 out 4 i came across today (on average this is how many i come across) spoke perfect english.

What were the conversations you had with them?
Original post by Carpe Vinum

I'm afraid it might. Part of the problem is the lack of housing, it's excess demand and not enough supply. For however many refugees and immigrants we take, I hope someone somewhere will ensure there's tons of new housing being built, otherwise I'd hate to think about what will happen.
Original post by NHM713
So you've gone up to some of them and had a conversation, where you learn that they came here without any income, or a secure job, have a poor grasp of the English language and were hoping to live off benefits?......

He doesn't need to speak to them to know that, he could have heard them spoke, and what's so unreasonable about what he's said ?
You can't deny that there will be homeless eastern Europeans on the streets as they have to work for 3 months before being entitled to anything, and they may not have found a job................... "no you don't know them all individually". There's lots of logic in what I've just said...........Shame some people can't grasp logic.
Funny how about 90% of them are male, women sure have it tough, right?
Original post by kka25
What were the conversations you had with them?

I have spoken to a few before and offered them food, asked them how they ended up on the streets, asked them if they had found housing or approached the council. Drug addiction tended to be a common theme but even then i've always walked through towns for years and never seen this many.
Original post by Normies Out
Funny how about 90% of them are male, women sure have it tough, right?

As in 90% of homeless people are male?

I don't think the percentage is as high as that. I know my area is a tiny proportion of the UK, but I think it's more like 50:50 where I am.
Reply 13
Not every single one that's in my area, but would you if you think that's a reasonable thing to do please feel free to do so yourself.

One of them did approached me as I was on my way home not long ago. It was a long conversation because as I said, they didn't speak very good English. She told me she couldn't get a job because her English isn't good and no-one would help her. Well sure, I can understand why finding a job is hard if you don't speak the language. But somehow, the woman that spoke to me still thinks she's better off living in the UK, even if she's homeless and begging for money.

I'm not the one generalising, but, should that opportunity arise, I would be ok with that. Have you thought that maybe there is a much larger, systemic problem that is causing people to become homeless and live on the streets?
As in 90% of homeless people are male?

I don't think the percentage is as high as that. I know my area is a tiny proportion of the UK, but I think it's more like 50:50 where I am.

Anyone who has any experience with homeless people knows you're lying
Reply 15
Original post by Conservationofmass
He doesn't need to speak to them to know that, he could have heard them spoke, and what's so unreasonable about what he's said ?
You can't deny that there will be homeless eastern Europeans on the streets as they have to work for 3 months before being entitled to anything, and they may not have found a job................... "no you don't know them all individually". There's lots of logic in what I've just said...........Shame some people can't grasp logic.

I could say the same. What's so unreasonable? the assumptions, the generalisation of vulnerable people, the total ignorance of the much bigger picture.
(edited 8 years ago)
mental illness might play a huge role. Since George has cut the budgets but even then they seem pretty normal brits.
Reply 17
Original post by Bill_Gates
I have spoken to a few before and offered them food, asked them how they ended up on the streets, asked them if they had found housing or approached the council. Drug addiction tended to be a common theme but even then i've always walked through towns for years and never seen this many.

I had the same encounter as well; the guy was, I think, a really nice guy (and he spoke excellent English and was soft spoken) and I think if he had the same good luck as most people do in this world (e.g. good family and friends), he'd probably be in an office space or working in some place decent, instead of asking for a change on one of London's cold streets : (

I didn't mean to be presumptuous or anything but somehow, I think most of us are just lucky to be where we are, I guess : /
Original post by NHM713
I'm not the one generalising, but, should that opportunity arise, I would be ok with that. Have you thought that maybe there is a much larger, systemic problem that is causing people to become homeless and live on the streets?

I specifically said in my area, by which I meant the few surrounding streets. I'm ok with my comments for those streets, because I've passed by them enough to have a good idea.

Edit: Also I don't believe there is one underlying cause that's causing people to be homeless. Everyone's got a different reason. But there are some that you can group together, e.g. some people because they're escaping abuse, some because they're mentally ill and don't know how to access the help they need, some are on drugs, and some are immigrants from abroad who haven't got the language skills or financial security to support themselves. And obviously a lot of areas overlap, e.g. those who have been abused and have a mental illness. I'm just tell you what's at my street corners.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kka25
I had the same encounter as well; the guy was, I think, a really nice guy (and he spoke excellent English and was soft spoken) and I think if he had the same good luck as most people do in this world (e.g. good family and friends), he'd probably be in an office space or working in some place decent, instead of asking for a change on one of London's cold streets : (

I didn't mean to be presumptuous or anything but somehow, I think most of us are just lucky to be where we are, I guess : /

I use to think this. Came across a very nice bloke about 4-5 times (walk same way to work everyday) and even when i never had change he'd always wish me well. But then i realised he was using all the money on drugs rather than food. But i'm finding it harder to just ignore the situation as the amount are just growing year on year. Seen a guy without trousers just walking through town, clearly had a mental illness of some sort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending