The Student Room Group

His argument was so stupid, I had to walk out.

So I had this pretty heated and embarrassing argument with this guy I know at University. We're not exactly friends, but we do get along (most of the time).

The discussion was about obesity and how it should be accepted but not encouraged - something I agree with. I also told him that if it is to be accepted, obese people have to accept that it is their fault they've found themselves with such health concerns unless there are undelying health causes (i.e thyroid).

The guy tells me "People don't choose to be obese".

Let me get things straight though, this guy isn't fat and is pretty healthy. I was astonished by his remark....

How can someone be so stupid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VotreAltesse
So I had this pretty heated and embarrassing argument with this guy I know at University. We're not exactly friends, but we do get along (most of the time).

The discussion was about obesity and how it should be accepted but not encouraged - something I agree with. I also told him that if it is to be accepted, obese people have to accept that it is their fault they've found themselves with such health concerns unless there are undelying health causes (i.e thyroid).

Let me get things straight though, this guy isn't fat and is pretty healthy. I was astonished by his remark....

I get where he's coming from. In the same way if someone you were given a chance to design your body, nobody would say 'yes lets make it an obese body'.

I agree with you that they need to take responsibility for themselves and not blame others. Blaming others gets you nowhere, doesn't matter why someone is the size they are, what matters is what they're prepared to do about it.
QUOTE=strangesquark;59205961]I get where he's coming from. In the same way if someone you were given a chance to design your body, nobody would say 'yes lets make it an obese body'.

I agree with you that they need to take responsibility for themselves and not blame others. Blaming others gets you nowhere, doesn't matter why someone is the size they are, what matters is what they're prepared to do about it.

The only people who never chose to be obese are the ones with the underlying health issues, which is a small proportion in comparison.

The rest are those who are to lazy to do something about it.

Debates are supposed to remain respectful calling him names wouldn't change a thing he obviously is unaware and ignorant about the issues relating to obesity.
I'd say there's directly choosing and indirectly choosing. I'd interpret what you guys are talking about as indirectly choosing to be obese through your actions. Would that be fair for me to say?
Because if we could eat as much as we wanted and still be slim, we'd choose that over directly choosing to be obese.
Just wanted to clarify.
Saying obesity isn't a choice is the equivalent of saying being black is a choice
QUOTE=Black Cat;59206017]Debates are supposed to remain respectful calling him names wouldn't change a thing he obviously is unaware and ignorant about the issues relating to obesity.[ QUOTE]

I remained respecful when we were discussing the issue... what seems to be the problem?
Reply 7
Reply 8
There are disorders etc which affect many obese people and cause them to become obese. There have even been certain genes which correlate to obesity. Not all obese people choose to be obese. Maybe that was his argument.
Reply 9
OP I agree but you're wasting time arguing with blokes like him

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Saying obesity isn't a choice is the equivalent of saying being black is a choice

Original post by Minions
There are disorders etc which affect many obese people and cause them to become obese. There have even been certain genes which correlate to obesity. Not all obese people choose to be obese. Maybe that was his argument.

This is a myth
He's right lol. I suppose if a heroin addict asked you to help them you'd just say "Just choose not to be a heroin addict."
Reply 12
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
This is a myth

Prader-willi syndrome is a genetic disorder in which symptoms can make patients have a constant feeling of hunger and urge to eat - leading to dramatic increase in weight gain. Hypothyroidism, Cushing's syndrome are just some of the disorders which lead to dramatic weight gain.

Certain medicines such as corticosteroids and antidepressants are just some of the medications that have weight gain as a side affect.

Original post by Minions

what percentage of fat people have these "disorders" and "genes"? why do you think it's a significant number? where are you getting the assumption that it is a big enough number to say "some people are as such"? I could say "some people are crack heads" but I wouldn't have to say "some people were hooked by their parents as kids" (as is the case sometimes) because the percentage of this is outside the norm - it's the same with fat people - obsity is a matter of self-control, just like not being a drug addict. you could say some people have addictive personalities and "it's not their fault", but really, it is. responsibility is the only thing you'll find stopping everybody in this world (most people any way) from becoming fat(ter) and there are some people who simply refuse to eat healthily because they don't value other people's opinion of them - there are definitely people like this in the world, yet it's hilarious that some people would rather say "no they can't help it, they have problems" - what is more likely, in your opinion? "problems" or "confidence"?

Thyroid issues dont really cause obsesity, it does slow down your metabolism and if you have underactive thyroid you are more likely to be overweight but a lot of fat people use the 'I have a thyroid problem' excuse and it is not a valid excuse. You go on thyroid medication and it solves the problem. If somebody is obese, it isnt because of a thyroid condition.
It's not even just self-control, it also not thinking about the consequences till it's too late. When someone eat some fast food they might not think about how it's bad for them, and will make them put on weight, clog up the arteries... out of sight and out of mind... till it's too late.
Reply 16
Original post by zippity.doodah
what percentage of fat people have these "disorders" and "genes"? why do you think it's a significant number? where are you getting the assumption that it is a big enough number to say "some people are as such"? I could say "some people are crack heads" but I wouldn't have to say "some people were hooked by their parents as kids" (as is the case sometimes) because the percentage of this is outside the norm - it's the same with fat people - obsity is a matter of self-control, just like not being a drug addict. you could say some people have addictive personalities and "it's not their fault", but really, it is. responsibility is the only thing you'll find stopping everybody in this world (most people any way) from becoming fat(ter) and there are some people who simply refuse to eat healthily because they don't value other people's opinion of them - there are definitely people like this in the world, yet it's hilarious that some people would rather say "no they can't help it, they have problems" - what is more likely, in your opinion? "problems" or "confidence"?

Don't know, couldn't be bothered to find any stats to back my theory up. It represents a portion, might be 5% might be 25%. You haven't provided any figures/statistics to show otherwise either so.
Original post by Minions
Don't know, couldn't be bothered to find any stats to back my theory up. It represents a portion, might be 5% might be 25%. You haven't provided any figures/statistics to show otherwise either so.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/825410
Reply 18

Cant see it, asking for login details
Original post by Minions
Cant see it, asking for login details

I'll paste the article:

Spoiler

sorry for the lack of paragraphs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending