The Student Room Group

Optician charged with manslaughter. Are we expecting too much...

//
(edited 8 years ago)
I do not think we can expect health care professionals to make zero mistakes no, however there is a big difference between a mistake and gross negligence. Since I don't know the ins and outs of this particular case I cannot say whether the ruling was correct or fair. However if it was gross negligence, then I think the ruling is fair.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
...of health care professionals?

Browsing through the news sites today I found this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3228075/Eye-doctor-Britain-charged-negligent-manslaughter-death-eight-year-old-boy.html

For those who can't be bothered to read it (or give the Daily Mail any traffic) then basically an Optometrist has been charged with manslaughter after a young child died from fluid on the brain which could/should have been spotted during a routine appointment.

Now, there is probably a lot more to this story than we are being told but just on the face of it, given what we know - do you think this charge is fair?

Personally, we are all human and everyday we make mistakes. When you are at work you make mistakes - it's normal - work is very tiring, often you are stressed/dealing with multiple things at once etc but luckily most of us aren't in jobs where our mistakes could possibly cost other people their lives. Of course health care professionals ought to be able to handle stress/deal with tiredness etc since they are in a job which puts people's health in their hands but still, healthcare professionals are human and as such are bound to make mistakes or miss things. Can we really expect zero mistakes? Isn't it too much to expect? Can we really charge people with manslaughter for such mistakes?

True, but there comes a point where is it not the fault of society in putting too much stress on these people?

I would also quesiton what could it actually does in locking someone up for a long time for committing 'negligence' does. It would kill me on then inside if say as a medical physicist I gave someone terminal cancer due to my incompetence in operating machinery. Sure, sack me as I am not capable of the job but it wasn't intentional and sending me to prison and treating me as a criminal achieves nothing (unless you class 'revenge' as a legit reason for sending people to prison).
(edited 8 years ago)
At trial experts will be consulted; if it was a small mistake that wasn't glaringly obvious then there'll be no conviction

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't say I've read all of the details but my instant reaction after reading the basic details was that it was an accident, an accident that was unfortunate but perhaps not deserving of a negligent manslaughter charge - unless there's more evidence to suggest such. Doctors/opticians are people that make mistakes just like anyone else.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
True, but there comes a point where is it not the fault of society in putting too much stress on these people?

I would also quesiton what could it actually does in locking someone up for a long time for committing 'negligence' does. It would kill me on then inside if say as a medical physicist I gave someone terminal cancer due to my incompetence in operating machinery. Sure, sack me as I am not capable of the job but it wasn't intentional and sending me to prison and treating me as a criminal achieves nothing (unless you class 'revenge' as a legit reason for sending people to prison).

Definitely, healthcare is understaffed and the staff have to work far too many hours. It leads to poor health care and sloppy work.
Original post by SophieSmall
Definitely, healthcare is understaffed and the staff have to work far too many hours. It leads to poor health care and sloppy work.

I;d pay more taxes just so nurses and other health professionals are not over worked. One day it is going to be me they are looking after :frown:
Original post by SophieSmall
I do not think we can expect health care professionals to make zero mistakes no, however there is a big difference between a mistake and gross negligence. Since I don't know the ins and outs of this particular case I cannot say whether the ruling was correct or fair. However if it was gross negligence, then I think the ruling is fair.

This. They are paid big bucks because of the level of responsibility they hold. No going on 24 hour coke benders the day before work etc
I;d pay more taxes just so nurses and other health professionals are not over worked. One day it is going to be me they are looking after :frown:

It was me they were looking after on several instances....it did not go well.
Original post by EllainKahlo
I can't say I've read all of the details but my instant reaction after reading the basic details was that it was an accident, an accident that was unfortunate but perhaps not deserving of a negligent manslaughter charge - unless there's more evidence to suggest such. Doctors/opticians are people that make mistakes just like anyone else.

Clearly the Police and CPS disagree with you on that. If someone who works in a call centre makes a mistake at work then its highly unlikely to be a big deal because the consequences aren't likely to be severe however when you go into medicine you understand the pressure and risks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
//
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I agree, that's my gut feeling on this - it doesn't feel right to lock someone up for something unintentional and I can't see what good punishing them can do.

Just because something is an accident it doesn't mean that someone shouldn't be criminally liable. If I ran someone over because I was using my phone and not paying attention to the road it'd be an accident but I'd still deserve punishment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I love how the article title calls her an 'eye doctor' when she's not a doctor at all. Typical Daily Mail scraping the barrel in an attempt to smear the medical profession.

As for whether she deserves a manslaughter conviction - I'm not sure they'd prosecute unless there was good reason.
I have to laugh at how lefties are eager to jump to the defence of medical practitioners who cock up, but think that bankers who took extreme risks should be convicted, even though loss of life is more severe than loss of money.

I respect the medical professional (more than I do bankers in fact) but they should be held to some of sort industry standard, legally, rather than having excuses such as 'muh stress' made for them.
Original post by Ronove
I have to laugh how some idiots make generalised statements about 'lefties'. I am a 'lefty'. My post disproves your claim.

Obviously it's a generalisation, but those on the left are more likely to sympathise with a doctor than a banker.
I don't think many people get into banking to make the world a better place.

There's a difference between incompetence and negligence though.

Negligence is harm caused by carelessness e.g. if you're operating medical machinery and you know full well that failure to take safety measures has a high risk of giving someone cancer, but you still don't bother to take those safety measures anyway because frankly you don't really care if that person gets cancer or not. It is foreseeable to you that you might cause harm to someone, but it doesn't concern you enough to do anything about it.

That's different from simply not knowing how to operate the machinery or not knowing that it risks giving someone cancer, or not knowing what safety measures to take.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending