The Student Room Group

University Appeal Due to Mental Health Issues

Hi ,

I have just (almost) finished my 2nd year of university studying engineering however I ran into some problems. At the beginning of the 2nd semester I started to experience panic attacks and anxiety , this was the first time it had ever happened.
It also severely affected my mood.

As it was all new to me I buried my head in the sand and tried to plough ahead , it was difficult but I managed to do all my coursework. One of my modules which was a large project was affected as my mental capacity was limited and it didn't turn out well.

When the summer exams came around it all reached boiling point and I sought help. I was medicated by the Dr and uni agreed I could postpone my exams until August.

I had a difficult summer partly down to the medication and continuing symptoms as as I prepared to take the exams I knew I still wasn't right. My condition had affected my learning and the feelings of panic in lectures had meant a lot of semester 2 material was like learning it for the first time.

I told my university about this but they were adamant to just try the exams telling me I had nothing to learn. I took the first two as was experiencing panic attacks in the first 2 and was unable to sit the other 2.

I submitted a form asking for my condition to be taken into account along with medical evidence. I was hoping for the chance to retake year 2 as it felt my learning was ravaged from my condition.

I heard back today that the first 2 exams marks will be counted as well as the project module and that I can return and take the 2 exams I missed next summer as an external student.

I have been given no reason as to why this decision was made and feel let down by the university , as though mental health isn't recognised as an illness.

Are all universities like this? I thought they would have a duty of care towards their students.

As for my health I am starting to feel better , I have switched from SSRI's to a combination of counselling and beta blockers which I'm feeling positive about.
Reply 1
Hi,

Having been through something similar i hope i can help in some way.
In regards to the ones you passed(exams & project) do you feel that you could've gained better marks if you weren't unwell? In my university after the exam you can request deferral saying you didnt feel you did as well as you could due to illness/situation and can then resit in the reist period without it being capped (if approved by a board)
I'm unsure weather you took these in the normal exam time or not?

In regards to your university I think they feel that resitting just the 2 exams next year would be better than re-peating the year, in their eyes. hence why they've said that.

Re-sitting the whole year would be capped at 40% (or at least at my uni it is, even with the fact i failed due to mental illness, confirmed by dr's etc).
Do you have a student support officer for your course? Or a tutor you feel confident speaking to? They would be best placed to help and advise you & give you your options.

I hope this helps somewhat & isn't just waffle!

:smile: Bexx
Reply 2
Hi Bexx ,

I did submit an appeal but the outcome wasn't what I expected , I also wasn't given any reason why this outcome was reached which irked me.

I take 6 modules of 20 credits each ,

Module 1 - Took place entirely in first semester before all this started , happy with my grade

Module 2 -Entirely project based , took place in 2nd semester when all the issues started , didn't do a good job which I feel was down to my condition.

Module 3 - Did all coursework , took exam as 1st attempt in August , felt quite calm in it strangely enough and evidently passed as they don't want me to retake it.

Module 4 - Had panic attack in exam , barely got through it but evidently passed as no retake required.

Module 5/6 - Symptoms were through the roof , couldn't take exams.

The outcome has been to take Modules 5 & 6 as an external student next summer as first attempt (No cap) However I feel 3 & 4 were significantly affected too. My student advisor told me to push for redoing the whole year and it could be done without a penalty or cap on marks.

It's hard to get a straight answer from anyone regarding procedure. I will contact my tutor though and hopefully he can advise me.

Thanks
Reply 3
As its 2nd year which counts more & you definitely feel you can do better id agree with trying to redo those other too! It's your course & you have justification. Student finance allows an extra years funding on top of your degree length so you'll be fine with that.

Hope you can get the direction you want :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest