The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 1 (IAL): Physics on the Go, WPH01 (11th January 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Student403
Have no idea if I got it right (I think I did), but I remember writing about how there is a lower cross sectional area, and so there would be more more water entering a smaller area which may lead to more turbulent flow and thus create drag.

I don't think its related to Cross sectional area.
Could you plz link the markscheme?
Is there any thread for C3,4 and M1 IAL Edexcel January 2016 exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Reply 24
Original post by PlayerBB
Is there any thread for C3,4 and M1 IAL Edexcel January 2016 exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, if theres none, you could start one.
Original post by SaadKaleem
I don't think its related to Cross sectional area.

Thx in that case i would have gained the mark because of my statement at the end. In this particular question, all that matters is that somewhere you reference higher drag/friction/resistive force
Reply 26
Can anyone help me with this?

Can anyone help me with this?

The time he spends falling 1.25m is the same time he spends going 10m horizontally. So this value of time would be the same in both the vertical and horizontal equations. Can you take it from here?
Reply 28
Original post by Student403
The time he spends falling 1.25m is the same time he spends going 10m horizontally. So this value of time would be the same in both the vertical and horizontal equations. Can you take it from here?

I knew that fact, however I'm confused in the velocity, they're asking for the Initial velocity right?

Moreover, No angles are given so i'm unsure what to resolve.

EDIT: Are we supposed to find the angle to the horizontal with tan?
(edited 8 years ago)
I knew that fact, however I'm confused in the velocity, they're asking for the Initial velocity right?

Moreover, No angles are given so i'm unsure what to resolve.

EDIT: Are we supposed to find the angle to the horizontal with tan?

There is no angle to calculate. This is the whole idea of horizontal and vertical motion being independent
Reply 30
Exams are just around the corner, how is everyone doing?
Reply 31
Less then 2 weeks remaining!
question.pngDoes anyone know why there's a drop in the reaction force when the student is crouching? I know there must be a resultant force downwards because the student is accelerating downwards but what causes the drop in reaction force??

-Thanks in advance
Can anyone send tell me the unit 1 practicals for edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by swwet aish
Can anyone send tell me the unit 1 practicals for edexcel

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by practicals?
Reply 35
Original post by DimaAbouzannad
question.pngDoes anyone know why there's a drop in the reaction force when the student is crouching? I know there must be a resultant force downwards because the student is accelerating downwards but what causes the drop in reaction force??

-Thanks in advance

Hi, i think i got the answer to your question, I'm taking the concept from other questions, so i might not be 100% right, but when i look at it, it seems pretty logical.

Take F=ma (downwards)
This can be written as mg-R=ma (as we are considering downward forces as positve, im doing this because the person is accelerating downwards on the scale)
So, therefore R=mg-ma (where 'g' is acceleration due to gravity and 'a' is the person's downwards acceleration).
Therefore the value of 'R' will be lower than the students actual weight (because now its equal to the "student's weight-the students mass*his/her acceleration".

When the student is standing still:
take F=ma (upwards or downwards doesn't matter, lets just take downwards)
So, "mg-R=ma"
since 'a' is zero because he/she is standing still
then, 'R=mg'. Which will be the students actual weight.

Hope I answered your question. Anyway, Good luck for your exams :smile:
sorry experiments

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
sorry experiments

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Acceleration due to gravity
2) Youngs Modulus
3) Viscosity ball bearing
4) Newton 2nd law

These are the main ones...
newtons 2nd law? 😁 can anyone send me the proper links of the videoz? for unit 2 as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
newtons 2nd law? 😁 can anyone send me the proper links of the videoz? for unit 2 as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just YouTube it,

U can also check specification for practicals

Quick Reply

Latest