The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 1 (IAL): Physics on the Go, WPH01 (11th January 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaadKaleem
I'm kinda confused in this question, i thought the answer was related to laminar/turbulent and its relation to speed.

https://gyazo.com/e229ac640393b70f2e97c4c3acd7bec9

However, In the mark scheme its related to depth of water and drag, could you explain me this?

It's from the June 2015 IAL paper.

Since the inside of the bend is shallower, the water flow is much closer to the river bed. Therefore, there will be greater friction which will oppose the flow in the inside of the bend compared to the outside of the bend.
mountain.PNG how do you get the distance for each side of the mountain? could someone answer me
Reply 62
Hello guys I need help with this question I have just answered. Is my answer right? This took me about 15 minutes to answer and I'm not even sure how I got this answer. I would appreciate it if someone can explain this question to me and how do it simpler. 20160109_211643.jpg
dont u have to show the stress on both and compare?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by YesterdaysDreams
mountain.PNG how do you get the distance for each side of the mountain? could someone answer me

Draw a triangle which represents the mountain, now divide it into two using a dotted line, This forms two right angled triangles, mark the angle of eache (25 and 35). You know the height of the mountain, this is the height of the dotted line. Now use trigonometry to find the hypotenuse of each side (soh, cah, toh).

Hope this helps, and good luck for your exams
Original post by YesterdaysDreams

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1452367989.667927.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, I'd like to now why is sin used instead of cos for the force (833.85N)
as the vertical thing is to find so i used sin :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by therecovery
Since the inside of the bend is shallower, the water flow is much closer to the river bed. Therefore, there will be greater friction which will oppose the flow in the inside of the bend compared to the outside of the bend.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 69
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!

Exams in less than 12 hours!
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow!

Exams in less than 12 hours!

likewise broski:biggrin:
Thanks alot ! good luck to all of uu ! please pray for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Guys, Just came from the paper, it was pretty good for me. What about you guys. And btw, for the question about trailers, laminar and turbulent, what did you write, []. And for the last one, what was "theta". I got [], also many others got that, what did you guys get.
Anyway hoping for an A, hopefully we all pass with As :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
I also got [] for theta using sin theta/cos theta
(edited 8 years ago)
How was the exam?
Original post by Zacken
Thanks guys! I haven't sat the exam yet and now I know the answer! Grade boundaries going up for y'all! :biggrin:

Hahaha you're luckyy man, Good luck though :biggrin:
Reply 76
LETS NOT DISCUSS THIS UNTIL AT LEAST 6 hours please.
Reply 77
LETS NOT DISCUSS THIS UNTIL AT LEAST 6 hours please.

You already have...
Reply 78
That's enough for now you know.

To clarify, I've already sat this exam. I'm just pretending I haven't to make all of you aware that some haven't and you're raising our grade boundaries by putting these posts up. Can you delete them before I have to close this thread?
Reply 79
I've deleted mine, however please delete the quotations regarding my posts.

Quick Reply

Latest