The Student Room Group

Why do people say you can't cure depression permanently?

Not familiar with the medical reasons but is there any reason why it can't be cured permanently, at least for some people, by dealing with causes (if situational), taking anti depressants, maybe exercising etc.?

I have depression and Id like to think it will get better permanently. If I do start to live happily how can I be a "depressed person"? Anyone explain?
They say a diagnosis lives with you forever. Therapy, antidepressants, lifestyle change etc. help you learn to live with the diagnosis and accept it.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to disclose your diagnosis when you apply for a job.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
They say a diagnosis lives with you forever. Therapy, antidepressants, lifestyle change etc. help you learn to live with the diagnosis and accept it.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to disclose your diagnosis when you apply for a job.

By the diagnosis living on forever do you mean that the depression lives on forever?

Because I think I can deal with it permanently TBH I want to know why people say you can't. Or is depression defined by being incurable?
Reply 3
I believe the only cures that actually get at the root of the problem are situational. There is generally something about an individual's lifestyle that makes them depressed, perhaps several things.

Antidepressants may ease the symptoms but will not get at the underlying cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by justag
I believe the only cures that actually get at the root of the problem are situational. There is generally something about an individual's lifestyle that makes them depressed, perhaps several things.

Antidepressants may ease the symptoms but will not get at the underlying cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what I was thinking, if I can cure my situational problems and feel better about that wont that be "curing" my depression?

Still really confused about why people say you cant cure it
Who says that?

I used to have pretty severe depression but after taking antidepressants and having therapy, I haven't felt depressed in about 3 years. :crossedf: And, although I realize that's early days still, I am hoping that I'm completely out of that miserable hole.
Not in my experience, if things are good in my life I can be happy but as soon as things come off the rails a bit it's straight back into depression which takes years really to cycle back through. I was depressed as a teenager then I started having a pretty good time in 2008 then **** from 2009 to 2011 inclusive then good for a year then **** since then. So at best 3 years on 1 year off. Guess I'm due for another good one next year though :biggrin:

Never got any diagnosis or took any meds or did anything drastic like cut myself just to be clear
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Sabertooth
Who says that?

I used to have pretty severe depression but after taking antidepressants and having therapy, I haven't felt depressed in about 3 years. :crossedf: And, although I realize that's early days still, I am hoping that I'm completely out of that miserable hole.

It's something I read a lot even on TSR. Haven't seen my GP about it yet though, find it hard to open up.. not sure if I should just improve my situation or try antidepressants too. Don't like the idea of taking medicine.

Glad to hear it :five: I don't often read about people successfully dealing with depression which is killing my hope. Hope it's gone for you for good :smile:

scrotgrot
Not in my experience, if things are good in my life I can be happy but as soon as things come off the rails a bit it's straight back into depression which takes years really to cycle back through. I was depressed as a teenager then I started having a pretty good time in 2008 then **** from 2009 to 2011 inclusive then good for a year then **** since then. So at best 3 years on 1 year off. Guess I'm due for another good one next year though

Hope it gets better permanently for you :s-smilie:
Original post by scrotgrot
Not in my experience, if things are good in my life I can be happy but as soon as things come off the rails a bit it's straight back into depression which takes years really to cycle back through. I was depressed as a teenager then I started having a pretty good time in 2008 then **** from 2009 to 2011 inclusive then good for a year then **** since then. So at best 3 years on 1 year off. Guess I'm due for another good one next year though :biggrin:

Never got any diagnosis or took any meds or did anything drastic like cut myself just to be clear

How do you know your depressed? Like what do you feel? Can you define it for me? These days everyone says they're depressed over such small petty things and it annoys me. I've been feeling low for a while and i'm not sure if i'm depressed or not. And **** antidepressants. I would never take that ****. But anywho, how would you describe your depression as? Can you give me a clear idea? Thanks
It's not post traumatic stress disorder. Depression cannot be resolved.

Depression is not a disorder.

It's a disease. You can die of depression; it's cancerous, insidious.

Depression isn't always the result of something; emotional disorders are.

Depression can be a chemical imbalance, or a gradual feeling of tremendous sadness due to prolonged suffering. But yes it can come from trauma as well. However, there are people who suffered traumas who are not depressed, and there are depressed people who did not suffer a trauma. It can't be fixed because it's a broad state of loss desire for love, life, etc.

It's also not necessarily psychiatric; you cannot shake feeling ugly or alone out of someone! :K:

I'm not depressed; I'm just very very angry but I have been depressed before. And you just kinda...wake up with it. You don't just...wake up with post traumatic stress disorder or a drug addiction. With those, all you have to do is rehabilitate them. Overtime they should get better if they want.

With depression, that's it. You're depressed. Unless Jesus drops gems on your head and makes the sky open up for you you will probably always sink into depression if you truly have it. Some days get better than others :sadnod:
Original post by Anonymous
How do you know your depressed? Like what do you feel? Can you define it for me? These days everyone says they're depressed over such small petty things and it annoys me. I've been feeling low for a while and i'm not sure if i'm depressed or not. And **** antidepressants. I would never take that ****. But anywho, how would you describe your depression as? Can you give me a clear idea? Thanks

Well it's hard to say like I say I have never been one to go through all the rigmarole of getting these things diagnosed, it would involve talking about my feelings over and over and bloody over again and I don't even understand them myself. I don’t really know any better than you do if I'm allowed to call it depression or not. But I mean stuff like not talking to people for days on end, poor sleep pattern, laxity in personal hygiene, generally not willing to put the effort in to do anything, hating myself for all the above, etc etc. It's more about not having any feelings or motivation than feeling sad
I'm interested in seeing people's thoughts here.

I had depression for about 8/9 months a year ago. It was steadily bad until the last month when I starting having good days and then eventually I started to feel really positive about life again. I felt depression-free for a year with the occasional low maybe once a month. Now I'm back in it again and have been for about 2 months now. It's tough. I wonder if this will be something I will suffer for the rest of my life. I hope not but then again it's happened twice now...

Quick Reply

Latest