The Student Room Group

How does dyslexia affect you at university?

I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and have a need assessment coming up.

I have severe dyslexia and I have worked my way through school and my a levels just fine (with a lot of hard work). I don't really see how university is different. Is it that difficult without the support.

There are people out there who are not diagnosed and are doing fine.

I understand how dyslexia can effect you but I'm just a bit worried if I take the help I will end up depending on it even after uni.

So how does dyslexia effect you? (what do you have problems with the most and what support did you have to overcome it)
Original post by MaxFree
I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and have a need assessment coming up.

I have severe dyslexia and I have worked my way through school and my a levels just fine (with a lot of hard work). I don't really see how university is different. Is it that difficult without the support.

There are people out there who are not diagnosed and are doing fine.

I understand how dyslexia can effect you but I'm just a bit worried if I take the help I will end up depending on it even after uni.

So how does dyslexia effect you? (what do you have problems with the most and what support did you have to overcome it)

I got diagnosed with (mild) dyslexia, a couple of weeks after starting university just like yourself.
I guess university is harder as you have to do a lot more independent study so any problems you have organising yourself or structuring your work can become a bit more obvious which you might not have noticed in a levels and prior to that, I certainly have realised more how in some ways my dyslexia and dyspraxia effected me since starting uni.
It effects me in a few ways i suppose (I do also have dyspraxia so separating what is caused by what is near impossible so apologises is there's so cross over in those answers):

That my reading is slower than average (so need to spend more time on reading articles), for this I have a software than can read anything on my PC to me, don't use it that often but helps when i m tired and my reading is automatically worse then anyway.
My brain doesnt structure things as well as a "normal person" so writing essays I tend to notice that and just general organising my life. So for that I have allowances in everything I hand in so they can't mark me down too much for SPG and structuring.
I also have an hour a week 1:1 who helps me with general organisation of my work and proofreading, my spelling is generally fine but I m not the best with when a comma would be appropriate etc.
I then have a dictaphone for lectures but that's mostly to help with my dyspraxic symptoms (slow writing) and I use my laptop in every lecture.
In the second year of my FDsc (2 years of a ba basically, i m now doing my second degree) I did opt to go without 1:1 and didn't struggle because of it but having one does make things a lot easier.
I would say if the supports there, to use it as although you might not get the exact same out of uni as you now have an official diagnosis it stays with you for life, so you're able to ask for support and reasonable adjustments in the workplace.

Simply put, yes I could "be fine"/pass without any support at all (except maybe extra time in my exams,without that it could be a bit of a struggle) but with the support I've gotten I've genuinely felt like my academics really reflect my true ability for the first time in my life.
(P.S Sorry that post ended up so long but hope it helped in someway, you're welcome to ask me other questions/drop me a PM if there's anything else you want to know)
(edited 8 years ago)
I could pass on degree without the support but with support the 1:1 sessions I get I have achieved better than I was without help. Going to university has helped me learn more about my problems and how something I thought wasn't going to be a issue became an issue due to my dyslexia and how I take information in. I got the software on my laptop which helps and a dictaphone for lectures. The biggest thing for me is knowing the support is their and I can assess it as much or as little as I need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle

My brain doesnt structure things as well as a "normal person" so writing essays I tend to notice that and just general organising my life. So for that I have allowances in everything I hand in so they can't mark me down too much for SPG and structuring.

How is that allowed? I have it on both my DSA recommendations and also the recommendations of my dyslexia test to mark work leniently on things like SPG, word count, structure etc similar to you. However the disability advisors at the uni have said they cant put that on my support plan and send it to my lectures because I am suppose to use all the different support I have so that my SPG word count, structure etc is all right.
This I am worried about and I don't think it's fair. I do not have anyone that can write stuff for me so it is spelt right, and grimmer right etc.. so how am I supposed to get it right? Unless I'm wrong and a proof reader can both read AND change any errors? But then they don't seem to want to give me that either so I'm kinda stuck.

As for the OP, I don't have all my support arranged yet, so I can't really say if it is helping and I need it or not. I defiantly need my study assistant (person in lessons with me, but that's more for something else than dyslexia I think) as I do not have any assessments yet the supports not really started, but I am meeting the people now so I can get to know them.

My only thought would be it is deffinatly better to get it anyway and then use it to try it. If you don't want it just say and stop it.
That is surly better than get to say Christmas, be really struggling and want it, then need to go through the assessment, and get it all approved and arranged could take a while and you will be struggling even more. So my advice is get everything you can now.
Original post by dipka
How is that allowed? I have it on both my DSA recommendations and also the recommendations of my dyslexia test to mark work leniently on things like SPG, word count, structure etc similar to you. However the disability advisors at the uni have said they cant put that on my support plan and send it to my lectures because I am suppose to use all the different support I have so that my SPG word count, structure etc is all right.
This I am worried about and I don't think it's fair. I do not have anyone that can write stuff for me so it is spelt right, and grimmer right etc.. so how am I supposed to get it right? Unless I'm wrong and a proof reader can both read AND change any errors? But then they don't seem to want to give me that either so I'm kinda stuck.

As for the OP, I don't have all my support arranged yet, so I can't really say if it is helping and I need it or not. I defiantly need my study assistant (person in lessons with me, but that's more for something else than dyslexia I think) as I do not have any assessments yet the supports not really started, but I am meeting the people now so I can get to know them.

My only thought would be it is deffinatly better to get it anyway and then use it to try it. If you don't want it just say and stop it.
That is surly better than get to say Christmas, be really struggling and want it, then need to go through the assessment, and get it all approved and arranged could take a while and you will be struggling even more. So my advice is get everything you can now.

They mark it more but don't completely ignore it, sorry if it confused you. So say if I get a scientific word wrong I could get marked down but not on words that aren't related to the topic itself. Word count isn't something they can be lienient on but my support worker helps me on that and improving my structure
Reply 5
They mark it more but don't completely ignore it, sorry if it confused you. So say if I get a scientific word wrong I could get marked down but not on words that aren't related to the topic itself. Word count isn't something they can be lienient on but my support worker helps me on that and improving my structure

How did you get them to approve it to get that information to your teachers who mark it? I've been told they are not allowed to tell teachers anything like this.
Original post by dipka
How did you get them to approve it to get that information to your teachers who mark it? I've been told they are not allowed to tell teachers anything like this.

It is a policy specific to my university so i didn't have to do anything to get it once i d declared my dyslexia, it was automatic.
Original post by dipka

My uni gives you stickers, you put the sticker on the cover sheet and it states that the pupil who wrote the assignment has dyslexia or another learning difficulty and that appropriate procedures should be followed when marking. the procedure booklet states things like ignoring spelling that isn't subject specific and giving leniency for homophones, punctuation ect.
For all pupils the cover sheet has an anonymous hand in number instead of your name so the teacher doesn't know who's work he's marking and although the teacher will know someone has a learning difficulty they won't know who, plus chances are they will have more than one piece of work handed in with the sticker on it
(edited 8 years ago)
I have auditory processing disorder. I've been struggling with deciding whether to alert my university and get aid for it. I had aid in school, but resented having extra time for my exams and embarrassed by using an ALD. The APD is a result of being severely hard of heaving as an infant and young child. But I'm not hard of hearing anymore. I'm within normal hearing ranges.

There was a lot of help offered in school that made me stand out and seen as different. I don't want to stand out. I just want to sit at the front of the classroom and I want the teacher to make a point of facing the audience while they speak so I can follow their lips. At school, I wasn't given a choice. The occupational therapist told them what I "needed" and that was that. I couldn't take my exams with my classmates. I was sent to join the special education students for an extended exam. I was outfitted with ALD for classes with teachers that were technology challenged, rendering it a device there to make me stand out. Not helping me.

If I could have some say in what assistance I get, I'd would definitely get help. I don't want or need extra time on my exams and tests. I can do them in the same time as everyone else. I'm a fast reader and I don't have anymore problems writing than other people. I only struggle with oral presentations. Previous experience makes me reluctant to seek help.
Original post by Canucked
If I could have some say in what assistance I get, I'd would definitely get help. I don't want or need extra time on my exams and tests. I can do them in the same time as everyone else. I'm a fast reader and I don't have anymore problems writing than other people. I only struggle with oral presentations. Previous experience makes me reluctant to seek help.

You don't have to take the extra time if you don't need it. I (my situation is completely different) don't always need extra time. We sometimes had tests on a Thursday morning in a seminar / workshop and I didn't always need the extra time; so didn't take it.
Original post by OU Student
You don't have to take the extra time if you don't need it. I (my situation is completely different) don't always need extra time. We sometimes had tests on a Thursday morning in a seminar / workshop and I didn't always need the extra time; so didn't take it.

I'd appreciate being given the choice to opt out of anything I don't feel I need. I feel a little better about going in on Monday to accessibility services. Thanks!
I'd appreciate being given the choice to opt out of anything I don't feel I need. I feel a little better about going in on Monday to accessibility services. Thanks!

You can, at the needs assessment they show you all the options available to you but you are more than able to say I don't think I need that / it would help or I might need that in this situation but not in others and they will listen to it :smile:
But you may find help available that you didn't know you could get, E.g my sister has APD due to having a glue ear as a child and one thing it affected was her spelling, she couldn't hear the words correctly and so was making mistakes in spelling them, usually minor mistakes like spelling words how she thought they sounded. In school she was able to get a one to one tutor to help improve her spelling and universities can also provide this :smile: or they can simply send out a memo alerting the teachers someone in the class has APD and that they should be aware of where they face while talking
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by student2312
You can, at the needs assessment they show you all the options available to you but you are more than able to say I don't think I need that / it would help or I might need that in this situation but not in others and they will listen to it :smile:
But you may find help available that you didn't know you could get, E.g my sister has APD due to having a glue ear as a child and one thing it affected was her spelling, she couldn't hear the words correctly and so was making mistakes in spelling them, usually minor mistakes like spelling words how she thought they sounded. In school she was able to get a one to one tutor to help improve her spelling and universities can also provide this :smile: or they can simply send out a memo alerting the teachers someone in the class has APD and that they should be aware of where they face while talking

I was lucky to love reading as a kid. It came easily to me, as it was visual like sign language. Just more symbolism and took half the effort of listening. But a memo alerting my teachers to face forward during class would be fantastic!

I have congenital stenosis of the external auditory canal. Essentially, my ear canals are too narrow. This led to ear infections, wax build up and to cholesteatoma. I had surgery on my ear canal and another on my middle ear to take out the cholesteatoma.
I was lucky to love reading as a kid. It came easily to me, as it was visual like sign language. Just more symbolism and took half the effort of listening. But a memo alerting my teachers to face forward during class would be fantastic!

I have congenital stenosis of the external auditory canal. Essentially, my ear canals are too narrow. This led to ear infections, wax build up and to cholesteatoma. I had surgery on my ear canal and another on my middle ear to take out the cholesteatoma.

it definitely worth your while having a chat with your uni because there are services they can provide that you may not have thought of but might fund useful.
you could get a Dictaphone to record lectures or you could have access to the power points your lecturers use before the lecture so you can print them off and use them to follow along with what the lecturer says
Reply 14
It is a policy specific to my university so i didn't have to do anything to get it once i d declared my dyslexia, it was automatic.

Original post by student2312
My uni gives you stickers, you put the sticker on the cover sheet and it states that the pupil who wrote the assignment has dyslexia or another learning difficulty and that appropriate procedures should be followed when marking. the procedure booklet states things like ignoring spelling that isn't subject specific and giving leniency for homophones, punctuation ect.
For all pupils the cover sheet has an anonymous hand in number instead of your name so the teacher doesn't know who's work he's marking and although the teacher will know someone has a learning difficulty they won't know who, plus chances are they will have more than one piece of work handed in with the sticker on it

What I'm now understanding from both your posts is that it's a uni specific thing, that some unis do it with different systems and some (mine) don't have any system because they don't allow it. I have lots of contact with the disability support so If they had something like this I can't imagine they would have not told me.

So thank's for your replies, I now know it depends on what uni I am at, might have been useful to know before I chose where I was going, but can't worry about that now, and it's not the only reason for choosing somewhere. Other than that I'll just have to accept I'll loose some marks for presentation/spelling/grammer/structor and whatever else it is. But that's what I have had every exam since GCSE.
Does anyone else find note taking more effective memory wise when written versus typed? Typing it much quicker for me, but i don't gather the information as effectively. Anyone had experience with writing on a tablet instead of typing on a laptop?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending