The Student Room Group

Dyslexia student trying extremely hard to get through university

Hey guys,

I REALLY NEED SOME HELP OR ADVICE.

I'm trying to get through uni and all the assignments but no matter how hard I try it's always so hard to do it. I struggle a lot with writing up essays/reports. Unfortunately it takes me longer than others. I've literally seen people write up like 3000 words in a day or two and I THINK HOW DO THEY DO THAT?! I can't even do it within a week better yet a day or two.

Also, I'm not sure why but sometimes I feel that my brain is so foggy and I can't even think. I'll literally have days where I'll wake up, have my "ideal" study day planned and then once I get to the library I'll sit down, open my laptop and try to start on my work BUT literally it feels as though my brain is dead and don't work. I can't zone into my work and then eventually for some reason I start feeling tired and my brain and body want to go to sleep even though I've literally had like 8 HOURS OF SLEEP! IT'S SO FUSTRATING AND IS MAKING ME FEEL LIKE QUITTING!

I'm currently in my second year of uni. I do suffer from dyslexia and I am getting tested for ADHD as well but I still have some hope that there is a way to get through university regardless of all these things happening to me.

Is there anyone else that has had similar experiences? If so I would really appreciate some advice on what you did.
Hiya, I hope this helps!

I am in my 3rd year of uni and have had my fair share of problems! I actually struggle with dyslexia too and can really relate to your struggles. Firstly don't put too much pressure on yourself, I would always write these long to do lists and it would stress me out, set a few tasks for the day and complete those. But also when entering year three I started using a study app called Jamworks, it allows me to record my lectures and then look over them at another time. It made me so much calmer when entering a lecture or seminar knowing that I can just re listen to it again. I'm sure your smashing uni best of luck!
Are you registered with your university's disability services? They should be able to offer support concerning dyslexia. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by CharlotteEmery
Hiya, I hope this helps!

I am in my 3rd year of uni and have had my fair share of problems! I actually struggle with dyslexia too and can really relate to your struggles. Firstly don't put too much pressure on yourself, I would always write these long to do lists and it would stress me out, set a few tasks for the day and complete those. But also when entering year three I started using a study app called Jamworks, it allows me to record my lectures and then look over them at another time. It made me so much calmer when entering a lecture or seminar knowing that I can just re listen to it again. I'm sure your smashing uni best of luck!

Hey,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to come on this post and help me I really appreciate it. I've never met anyone else with dyslexia especially not at my uni so it's nice to meet someone who can relate. I really wish I could say I was smashing uni but most of the time I feel like I'm doing terrible and when I look at the progress my classmates have made I'm just like omg im sooo behind lol. The Jamworks app looks good I wish I'd known about it before I will definitely be using it from now on. Can I ask you if you don't mind how you went about doing any essays you had to do in your first or second year? They take me ages to do I think mainly because of the research and reading part of it. Anyways thank you once again.
Reply 4
Original post by iamtoby7
Hi there, there's an app called Jamworks which I'm personally using that really helps. So it records your lectures for you and transcribes the notes for you. You can press the "highlight" button and make highlights from what the lecturer is saying. It also can make your highlights into a flashcard quiz to help you revise. I think it would help you because it helps to summarise your lectures so your brain doesn't have to deal with an information overload. If you sign up via unidays you can get the first month for 99p!

Hey,

Thank you for coming on this post and taking time out your day to help me. I wish I'd heard about this app sooner it looks really good and will definitely help me so thank you for letting me know.
Reply 5
Original post by 1582
Are you registered with your university's disability services? They should be able to offer support concerning dyslexia. :smile:

Hi,

My uni is aware that I have dyslexia but I've not really spoken much about it with anyone. I should probably speak to an academic support team member about it. Thank you for your advice.
Original post by Saii99
Hey,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to come on this post and help me I really appreciate it. I've never met anyone else with dyslexia especially not at my uni so it's nice to meet someone who can relate. I really wish I could say I was smashing uni but most of the time I feel like I'm doing terrible and when I look at the progress my classmates have made I'm just like omg im sooo behind lol. The Jamworks app looks good I wish I'd known about it before I will definitely be using it from now on. Can I ask you if you don't mind how you went about doing any essays you had to do in your first or second year? They take me ages to do I think mainly because of the research and reading part of it. Anyways thank you once again.

I would definitely download the app and start recording your lectures, that has really helped me! But in terms of starting a project I also start off with the introduction, sounds very silly and straight forward but i feel like lots of lecturers push you away from doing this and say to start with the main body. However, i feel like having the introduction mapped out and done allows me to refer back to it and the LO's, i feel less stressed and more organised. After that i also map out my headings / sun headings, so before the main body I come up with those. I hope this helps!
Reply 7
My name is Hannah Giardelli, I am an MSc student studying Psychology and Education. I am looking for participants for my dissertation research project about the impact of sleep on memory consolidation for university students with dyslexia.

Participants should be university students, either with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia. Participation would involve completing a short memory task that should take no more than half an hour on one day and then another short task (no more than 10 minutes) the next day, following a period of overnight delay and sleep.

If you are interested in participating in this research project, please click the following link: https://research.sc/participant/login/dynamic/5FC17CB1-CEA3-44AC-9B80-D8B83C2695C8

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me

This project has received ethical approval from the University of Sheffield.
Thank you for considering taking part,

Hannah Giardelli

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending