The Student Room Group

Definition: Complex impedance

Hi,
Looking at past exam papers the question: define complex impedance seems to come up quite regularly (worth about 3 marks). Now I know roughtly what a complex impedance is, how you find it, how to use it etc. but I'm not quite sure what to write in a definition to get the marks.

I was thinking something along the lines of:
The ratio of voltage across a component to the current passing through it. By being a complex number it incorperates both the magnitude of this ratio and the phase difference between current and the voltage.
Any suggestions for improvements/ things I've missed out?

Thanks
Reply 1
plmokn
Hi,
Looking at past exam papers the question: define complex impedance seems to come up quite regularly (worth about 3 marks). Now I know roughtly what a complex impedance is, how you find it, how to use it etc. but I'm not quite sure what to write in a definition to get the marks.

I was thinking something along the lines of:
The ratio of voltage across a component to the current passing through it. By being a complex number it incorperates both the magnitude of this ratio and the phase difference between current and the voltage.
Any suggestions for improvements/ things I've missed out?

Thanks

Pretty much it.
You could also state the terms resistance and reactance. The first is the electrical power being turned to heat. The second is the electrical power being stored in electric fields or magnetic fields.
Reply 2
Thanks

Latest