The Student Room Group

Age-old question: Can I get into Cambridge with these grades?

So, I would like to apply for Law at Cambridge. The only issue is my GCSE grades, as I have: 3Bs, 7A*s, 1A. I realise that these grades aren't exactly on par with what other students are achieving, I just wanted to know, realistically, if I should bother applying. My Alevel predictions are A*, A*, A*.

Scroll to see replies

I got into Cambridge with 6A*, 2A, B, C. Cambridge isn’t generally too worried about GCSE grades in the way some unis like Oxford are. With a good personal statement etc there’s no reason why you couldn’t get in, even for a competitive course like law.
Original post by Anonymous #1
So, I would like to apply for Law at Cambridge. The only issue is my GCSE grades, as I have: 3Bs, 7A*s, 1A. I realise that these grades aren't exactly on par with what other students are achieving, I just wanted to know, realistically, if I should bother applying. My Alevel predictions are A*, A*, A*.

Just to check, are these your actual grades or a conversion from the 9-1 system? Either way, they shouldn't impede you.
Reply 3
Original post by melancollege
Just to check, are these your actual grades or a conversion from the 9-1 system? Either way, they shouldn't impede you.

Yes, I have converted them from the 9-1 system 🙂
Your grades are fine...and Cambridge consider applications holistically and see an upwards trajectory in grades positively (although as noted your GCSE grades were already very very good).
Reply 5

Grades aren’t the only thing Oxbridge takes into account when making students offers. Many students underestimate the value of true passion in the subject area and a demonstration of developing skills through work experience and voluntary work.
Reply 6
Original post by Autumn223
Grades aren’t the only thing Oxbridge takes into account when making students offers. Many students underestimate the value of true passion in the subject area and a demonstration of developing skills through work experience and voluntary work.

That's perfect; I'm really enthusiastic about the course and have been doing a ton of work experience and volunteering in admin jobs. Thank you so so much for your helpful response!! 🙂
Reply 7
That's perfect; I'm really enthusiastic about the course and have been doing a ton of work experience and volunteering in admin jobs. Thank you so so much for your helpful response!! 🙂

No problem, being able to demonstrate you are a balanced person is a really important quality 😊, that paired with the grades you are saying you are on track for should make for a good application.
Yes, I have converted them from the 9-1 system 🙂

Yeah, you should be fine but it's probably easier just to give the grades as they actually are. An 8 an a 9 may not be considered identically to an A*, etc.

By the way it's worth just putting your actual number grades - as 7A*s could mean 7 8s or 79s and there's definitely a difference.
As others have said, your grades are fine. I read law at Cambridge with 998A*A*A*AAAB and at A Level I had 3A*s.

which a levels did u do? x
Original post by tiredgiraff
I got into Cambridge with 6A*, 2A, B, C. Cambridge isn’t generally too worried about GCSE grades in the way some unis like Oxford are. With a good personal statement etc there’s no reason why you couldn’t get in, even for a competitive course like law.

omg did u go independent or state? which a levels/gcses did u do? and btw which extracurriculars/supercurriculars/work experience did u do? tysm x

which admin jobs?
Original post by Anonymous #2
By the way it's worth just putting your actual number grades - as 7A*s could mean 7 8s or 79s and there's definitely a difference.
As others have said, your grades are fine. I read law at Cambridge with 998A*A*A*AAAB and at A Level I had 3A*s.

which subjects did u do for a level? x
Original post by klnlljkklhklll
which subjects did u do for a level? x

I did English Lit, History and Business Studies, but it doesn't really matter
Original post by Anonymous #2
I did English Lit, History and Business Studies, but it doesn't really matter

omg could i ask you for advice on how to get an A* in english lit and history?
is there any structure u followed?? :smile:
thank u sm
omg did u go independent or state? which a levels/gcses did u do? and btw which extracurriculars/supercurriculars/work experience did u do? tysm x

state all the way through, and I did (in grade order)

Double Science
Eng lang
Maths
French
RE
Eng lit
DT
PE
Astronomy

And for A level I did French, history, Eng lt and EPQ and got 3A*s and an A.

In terms of extracurriculars I did very little… I read books and watched films related to my topic and I did 5 weeks Au Pairing in France over the summer. In the PS it’s more about what you think and say about what you did, it’s not just a list of cool things you’ve done. In the interview they asked me about my thoughts about one of the books because the interviewer liked that author and also one question about my time as an Au Pair, and then I had to react to a text.
I think it's worth applying definitely. For my GCSE's I got 6 8's, 2 9's. a 6 and 3 As and I currently have an offer for entry this year (provided I meet my offer grades which for maths is always iffy but fingers crossed). I think the important thing for Law would be performance on the LNAT I believe or the relevant entrance exam as they look at grades for those when offering interviews. But definitely, do consider applying if you think that it's the place for you and good luck!
which a levels did u do? x

hi sorry for the late response!! I do English Lit, History and Theology. My poorer grades were all maths and science based x

you're curious aren't you! 🙂 I go to an independent school, and I did:
English Lit/Lang
Maths
Triple science
Spanish
History
RE
Geography
Art

In terms of supercurriculars I've just been reading a bunch, and entering loads of essay competitions. Worth looking at work experience schemes if you go to public school as there are a ton that cater to that (since I go independent I actually struggled to find work experience!!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending