The Student Room Group

Is business, economics and maths good a level options ?

Thinking of those 3 but unsure if business is known as a soft subject.
(edited 5 months ago)
Well, it depends. Do you have a clear idea of what you want to do after sixth form?
Reply 2
definitely going to uni
Original post by avastewart
definitely going to uni

Ok! It doesn't really matter too much to be honest, no one will consider it a "soft subject". As long as this choice of A-levels matches what you wish to do at uni, go for it :smile:
Reply 4
Doing both Business and Economics is not a great idea - there is subject overlap so some Unis wont accept both, and you may get bored 'doing the same stuff all the time'. Another essay based subject like Sociology, Politics, History instead of BS?
Original post by avastewart
Thinking of those 3 but unsure if business is known as a soft subject.

Hey @avastewart,

I hope you're keeping well.

If you're enjoying them, then they're absolutely fine! :biggrin:

I understand what you mean by business being a "softer" subject compared to both Economics and Maths, especially as I think it does tend to be more popular with a higher success rate.
This though isn't a bad thing - if anything its more approachable, and gives you more ways of thinking about an economy than a traditional economic class would (i.e thinking about stock rather than price in firm decisions in macroeconomic models), which really only helps to familiarise yourself more with economics.
If you want to study Economics at University, then dropping business for another subject like History or Physics is not going to impede you whatsoever - because you already chose Maths. In fact you could probably also drop economics and still choose to go for an economics degree in many universities!
So, with all honesty, I wouldn't worry about it whatsoever.

Now, between me and you, business isn't even much of a soft subject. It's more subjects like sociology, travelling tourism, media, and film studies which are more "soft" - but again, not a bad thing! It doesn't mean they're any less important than other subjects whatsoever - just that they have a trackrecord of having higher passing rates. I myself love sociology, and studying economics, you get to find that a lot of these subjects themselves are fascinating and important in their own right, as well as relate to economics quite beautifully!

So, again (sounding like a broken record), I wouldn't worry.

I hope this helps!

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest