The Student Room Group

Mechanics 3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by onipo

Thanks a lot, anyway. Maybe there's a way of contacting the authors, IDEK.

Unfortunately most A-level maths books contain numerous errors. Best thing is to forget about it and move on.

My previous attempt at contacting authors / publishing companies just got ignored, so I no longer bother.
Reply 21
Original post by ghostwalker
Unfortunately most A-level maths books contain numerous errors. Best thing is to forget about it and move on.

My previous attempt at contacting authors / publishing companies just got ignored, so I no longer bother.

Actually, I see how it's 21cm
Reply 22
Here's my attempt; although I don't completely understand why it's correct, as yet.
Original post by onipo
Here's my attempt; although I don't completely understand why it's correct, as yet.

Yep.

I added the 15 to 12, when it should have been added to 6. hence the 21.

Well done.

It's still a poor question, IMO. Should have said length of material, rather than length of band.
Reply 24
Yep.

I added the 15 to 12, when it should have been added to 6. hence the 21.

Well done.

It's still a poor question, IMO. Should have said length of material, rather than length of band.

I agree, still a poor question. I still can't attempt b though will the Mascot hang from both horizontal bands, or one; at what point on the band - what distance from which peg?

I can't even begin to think about attempting it; I'll try later though.
Original post by onipo
I agree, still a poor question. I still can't attempt b though will the Mascot hang from both horizontal bands, or one; at what point on the band - what distance from which peg?

I can't even begin to think about attempting it; I'll try later though.

I think it's safe to assume the pegs are smooth, so tension is the same throughout, and the mascot hangs in the middle. As to whether it's one or two bands is again ambiguous. No doubt one of the two options will give the answer they want.

Sorry about the mix-up earlier.
Reply 26
Yea.. thanks. Ambiguities as this are fine in the textbooks. But, in an exam would be brutal!
Original post by onipo
Yea.. thanks. Ambiguities as this are fine in the textbooks. But, in an exam would be brutal!

Should never happen in an exam. That's grounds for a complaint, IMO.
Reply 28
Someone please show me how to do this question. Answer is 20.5 m/s

cheers!
Reply 29
Original post by onipo
Someone please show me how to do this question. Answer is 20.5 m/s

cheers!

Looks like a standard conservation of energy question. E.P.E at bottom = G.P.E + K.E at top.
Reply 30
Original post by Zacken
Looks like a standard conservation of energy question. E.P.E at bottom = G.P.E + K.E at top.

but its a horizontal table; there is no GPE, right?; please, just have a quick attempt at it and lets see if I've gone wrong somewhere.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by onipo
but its a horizontal table; there is no GPE, right?; please, just have a quick attempt at it and lets see if I've gone wrong somewhere.

Ah, sorry - there is no GPE. But there is E.P.E and K.E.

I'll try it in a bit, currently not home and without pen+paper.
Reply 32
Original post by Zacken
Ah, sorry - there is no GPE. But there is E.P.E and K.E.

I'll try it in a bit, currently not home and without pen+paper.

ahhh... I see what you mean; I see my mistake! cheers!
Reply 33
People, I need help!

I tried GPE + EPE at the top and equating that to EPE at the base (12 metres below, assuming that the base level is at this point) but my K value seems to be wrong. Any admonitions on why I'm wrong?

Cheers guys.
Original post by onipo
People, I need help!

I tried GPE + EPE at the top and equating that to EPE at the base (12 metres below, assuming that the base level is at this point) but my K value seems to be wrong. Any admonitions on why I'm wrong?

Cheers guys.

No idea without seeing some working.
Reply 35
No idea without seeing some working.

I have seen my error; put in the wrong value. Thanks anyway ghostwalker.
Reply 36
I have a spring of natural length 5m and stretch it vertically, attaching each end to the ceiling and the floor, 15m apart. I then attach a mass of 0.5kg, holding it 9m above the floor. How would I work out the amplitude of the resulting oscillation? I know it would oscillate about the equilibrium position, but, how do I even arrive at this? I have tried energy conservation, resolving the forces ... etc. How is the tension in the string distributed - as you can tell, I have all sorts of questions on this one. Please help me out here, thanks.
Reply 37
Someone please show me how to do this question. Heights are 7.04m and 9m; Period is 1.99s
Reply 38
Would someone help me with this question, I can't even begin to compute the motion of the glider. The question appears to say he's moving perpendicularly and horizontally - I really haven't a clue!

Answers -
a) 14.6 b) 25.1 c) -16.5

Quick Reply

Latest