The Student Room Group

Edexcel Govt and Politics Unit 1 and 2?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
Hahaha yeah I lurk. It's actually really helpful reading your posts.

As in not many students choose to answer on the judiciary.

We teach democracy, party politics and pressure groups for unit 1. Constitution, PM and cabinet and normally the judiciary for unit 2. I think I'll switch to parliament instead though.

Edexcel of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your opinion on the AQA exams?
Original post by jamestg
What's your opinion on the AQA exams?

From what I've vaguely seen of them they are harder. We've gone through pretty much every exam board in our college over the years and I'm told Edexcel is the easiest. I do like it. It's easy to teach and structure compared to AQA and OCR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about Political participation ? seems fairly easy .
I don't know about elections though :frown:

can i ask you a question?
are the mocks going to be based on the subunits we've covered? or is it the whole unit?
is it external or internal ? (sorry for my paranoia xD )
Original post by Hurbad
What about Political participation ? seems fairly easy .
I don't know about elections though :frown:

can i ask you a question?
are the mocks going to be based on the subunits we've covered? or is it the whole unit?
is it external or internal ? (sorry for my paranoia xD )

Yeah sorry when I said democracy I meant democracy and political participation.

The way the mocks are set will be entirely based on the teacher. I'm gonna do a mock in a few weeks once we've finished pressure groups. I will set the questions based on the three topics we've covered in unit 1. They'll be nothing on it that we haven't covered. So yeah it's based on all of unit 1 (apart from elections bc we don't do that).

All mocks are internal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From what I've vaguely seen of them they are harder. We've gone through pretty much every exam board in our college over the years and I'm told Edexcel is the easiest. I do like it. It's easy to teach and structure compared to AQA and OCR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But for AQA the questions have fewer marks! There are no 40 mark questions in any of the exams (AS or A2!).

But I get how it's easier to teach and structure...
Original post by jamestg
But for AQA the questions have fewer marks! There are no 40 mark questions in any of the exams (AS or A2!).

But I get how it's easier to teach and structure...

Yeah I don't like the 40 mark qs. But I think it's more about the marking. Edexcel has a reputation for not being as picky with marks.

In a lot of ways I find shorter mark qs harder to teach though. I think my students will struggle with part A qs. According to the training I just went on, most students don't get above 3 on part As. So in total that's 8 marks lost over the AS. Quite a lot reallt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I don't like the 40 mark qs. But I think it's more about the marking. Edexcel has a reputation for not being as picky with marks.

In a lot of ways I find shorter mark qs harder to teach though. I think my students will struggle with part A qs. According to the training I just went on, most students don't get above 3 on part As. So in total that's 8 marks lost over the AS. Quite a lot reallt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, I get you!

Would you say higher mark questions give better preparation for further study as well?
Original post by jamestg
Ah okay, I get you!

Would you say higher mark questions give better preparation for further study as well?

Definitely!!! Although no A-Level will prepare you for the exact essay style of uni, with referencing and stuff. EPQ is worthwhile if your college offer it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely!!! Although no A-Level will prepare you for the exact essay style of uni, with referencing and stuff. EPQ is worthwhile if your college offer it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm definitely considering doing an EPQ, either something to do with developing economies and trade if I want to study business/economics at uni or the AV system if I want to study politics/or a course with political science (like Economics with Political Science)
Original post by jamestg
I'm definitely considering doing an EPQ, either something to do with developing economies and trade if I want to study business/economics at uni or the AV system if I want to study politics/or a course with political science (like Economics with Political Science)

Good choice definitely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I probably should have said I'm a teacher :colondollar:. First time teaching Politics A-Level and the teacher who taught it before me is still there. She recommended teaching six topics instead of eight, so that's all I've planned for. She normally leaves out Parliament...but from training courses and other teachers I've spoken to, I'm unsure if it's wise. I may ignore her advice, to be honest. The judiciary looks hard, and examiners on my courses have said it is rarely answered, and if it is then it's really poorly done.

hi. thanks for coming onboard. I have one worry and I don't know whether its just unnecessary paranoia or a genuine cause for worry. how do we answer exam questions for the various marker questions? people often quote PEEL, then just disappear and leave us hanging. could you show us PEEL in a fictitious exam question here so that we can see how the format actually should look like? thank you.
Original post by ~Seraphina~
hi. thanks for coming onboard. I have one worry and I don't know whether its just unnecessary paranoia or a genuine cause for worry. how do we answer exam questions for the various marker questions? people often quote PEEL, then just disappear and leave us hanging. could you show us PEEL in a fictitious exam question here so that we can see how the format actually should look like? thank you.

There are plenty of YouTube videos and powerpoints online explaining what PEEL actually is!
Original post by jamestg
There are plenty of YouTube videos and powerpoints online explaining what PEEL actually is!

Hi james. I just thought it would be nice to hear what a teacher has to say? I am sorry if I have irritated you :frown:
Hi james. I just thought it would be nice to hear what a teacher has to say? I am sorry if I have irritated you :frown:

What?! No you haven't irritated me haha! There's this one guy (who I presume is a teacher) who goes through an exam paper for unit one!

But yes, hopefully @Airfairy has access to model answers that she could perhaps share?
Original post by jamestg
What?! No you haven't irritated me haha! There's this one guy (who I presume is a teacher) who goes through an exam paper for unit one!

But yes, hopefully @Airfairy has access to model answers that she could perhaps share?

'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'

I tried.
Thank you for the video.
10 views ? DAMN !!!! thats going to help (sarcasm)

xD haha

Original post by jamestg

Original post by Hurbad
10 views ? DAMN !!!! thats going to help (sarcasm)

xD haha

Hahahahahaha, to be fair it was only uploaded recently and people don't need to be watching videos like that for the moment because it's more content than exam technique! Plus G&P isn't that popular to take :redface:
'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'

I tried.
Thank you for the video.

No problemo!
Original post by jamestg
Hahahahahaha, to be fair it was only uploaded recently and people don't need to be watching videos like that for the moment because it's more content than exam technique! Plus G&P isn't that popular to take :redface:

Trust !!!
only paranoid people like us xD

but thanks though :smile:
the 40 marks questions are for unit 2 only and A2 :smile:

So don't expect 40 mark question on unit 1 :smile:
Original post by Hurbad
Trust !!!
only paranoid people like us xD

but thanks though :smile:
the 40 marks questions are for unit 2 only and A2 :smile:

So don't expect 40 mark question on unit 1 :smile:

Hahaha!

I'm so glad there are no 40 mark questions on unit 1, 25 markers are bad enough :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending