The Student Room Group

Edexcel Govt and Politics Unit 1 and 2?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Audrey18
You are impressing me time after time. I like your intellectual ability and your eagerness to involve yourself in discussions of these nature. Uni will be a breeze for you. I'm so glad to meet someone like you after having to interact with several dustbins.
Oh my, I only asked how long you wanted my answer to be! But thanks nonetheless :h:

Those are possible exam type questions. I guess bullet-points will be nice because I don't think you should serve it on a platter to the very same people who have shunned away from answering those questions (they will be watching this thread closely I assure you) since they clearly have a confidence issue. It's unfair to both you and I.

I'll give it a go with just a rough plan for each. A couple of those questions I can't imagine being 25 marks though because the answers are rather straightforward.
Anyways, the questions are as follows.
Unit 2.1 : The UK Constitution
In the absence of a written Constitution, what mechanisms are in place to limit government's ever increasing powers?

Hmm. I would probably write about the EU. The Human Rights Act and such. I'd also throw in something about judicial review. Maybe I'd also talk about Parliament's role in scrutinising the government, through select committees, questions to ministers, etc.

Unit 2.2 : Parliament
Parliament can pass any law it wants no matter how ridiculous it is. To what extent is this true?

Yep, it's true. Parliament is sovereign; it can do whatever it wants. The Human Rights Act also does not apply to Westminster, so Parliament isn't prevented from passing legislation that is not compatible with the Human Rights Act. Though it might be worth saying that most legislation doesn't actually come from Parliament; most comes from the government. However, other areas of EU law are indeed superior to UK law. Factortame 1991 is a decent example of that. And I do believe that Parliament can't pass any law that contravenes with EU law, save for the Human Rights Act.

Unit 2.3 : The Prime Minister and Cabinet
Cabinet meetings are secret. Discuss.
Yep. Even the Freedom of Information Act 2000 doesn't allow access to cabinet meeting minutes. Can't see this one being a 25-marker tbh.

Unit 2.4 : The judiciary and civil liberties
Do judges make law?

Judges make law through judicial precedent. Common law, case law, that kinda thing. Donoghue v Stevenson is a good example. Quite simply though, yes, judges do make law. However, judges do not get involved in 'pre-legislative review'; they don't have influence in the actual creation of law before the law is passed as an Act in Parliament. They can only review existing legislation.

Hope these answers are satisfactory. :smile:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Hmm. I would probably write about the EU. The Human Rights Act and such. I'd also throw in something about judicial review. Maybe I'd also talk about Parliament's role in scrutinising the government, through select committees, questions to ministers, etc.

Yep, it's true. Parliament is sovereign; it can do whatever it wants. The Human Rights Act also does not apply to Westminster, so Parliament isn't prevented from passing legislation that is not compatible with the Human Rights Act. Though it might be worth saying that most legislation doesn't actually come from Parliament; most comes from the government. However, other areas of EU law are indeed superior to UK law. Factortame 1991 is a decent example of that. And I do believe that Parliament can't pass any law that contravenes with EU law, save for the Human Rights Act.

Yep. Even the Freedom of Information Act 2000 doesn't allow access to cabinet meeting minutes. Can't see this one being a 25-marker tbh.

Judges make law through judicial precedent. Common law, case law, that kinda thing. Donoghue v Stevenson is a good example. Quite simply though, yes, judges do make law. However, judges do not get involved in 'pre-legislative review'; they don't have influence in the actual creation of law before the law is passed as an Act in Parliament. They can only review existing legislation.

Hope these answers are satisfactory. :smile:

You are going to get an A* for Edexcel Govt & Politics. I am certain of it.

I disagree with that. The House of Lords would delay it as it has done many times over controversial bills in this government (and by delaying it they are effectively blocking it). It is also important with this question to mention that while Parliament has the legal authority to enact any law it wishes, it does not always have the political authority to do so. Enacting a law the entire public does not want may lead to strikes, protests and demonstrations that force the government to resign. And as you mentioned, the EU cannot enact a law that goes against EU Law because of its higher status.
that's lovely. thanks for sharing.

for unit 1, im doing democracy, elections and pressure groups.
for unit 2, im okay with all 4.
I'm really looking forward to the exams and results day.

In the meantime, would you like to give these questions a try? None of the other members on this forum attempted these questions. The reasons they cited were that

they were still in the midst of revision

their teachers had not taught them these topics yet

I was scaring them with these questions and making them think they were gonna fail the exam

Anyways, the questions are as follows.
Unit 2.1 : The UK Constitution
In the absence of a written Constitution, what mechanisms are in place to limit government's ever increasing powers?

Unit 2.2 : Parliament
Parliament can pass any law it wants no matter how ridiculous it is. To what extent is this true?

Unit 2.3 : The Prime Minister and Cabinet
Cabinet meetings are secret. Discuss.

Unit 2.4 : The judiciary and civil liberties
Do judges make law?

Who wrote those questions? Most of those would not actually come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by popcornjpg
I disagree with that. The House of Lords would delay it as it has done many times over controversial bills in this government (and by delaying it they are effectively blocking it). It is also important with this question to mention that while Parliament has the legal authority to enact any law it wishes, it does not always have the political authority to do so. Enacting a law the entire public does not want may lead to strikes, protests and demonstrations that force the government to resign. And as you mentioned, the EU cannot enact a law that goes against EU Law because of its higher status.

The Commons can force the Lords to comply with their demands, as outlined in the 1911 Parliament Act. The Hunting Act 2004 is a good example of this. The Lords rejected the Bill in 2003, but was forced to comply in 2004. So the Lords can't really block legislation.

Whilst the Lords can suggest amendments to Bills, these don't have to be accepted by the Commons. Of the hundreds of amendments that were suggested by the Lords to the Welfare Reform Bill 2012, only 10 were accepted.

The powers of the Lords to limit what the Commons desires is very limited.

With regards to public opinion, just look at the bedroom tax. Very unpopular (there were protests), yet it still exists.

Parliament can do what it likes.
The Commons can force the Lords to comply with their demands, as outlined in the 1911 Parliament Act. The Hunting Act 2004 is a good example of this. The Lords rejected the Bill in 2003, but was forced to comply in 2004. So the Lords can't really block legislation.

Whilst the Lords can suggest amendments to Bills, these don't have to be accepted by the Commons. Of the hundreds of amendments that were suggested by the Lords to the Welfare Reform Bill 2012, only 10 were accepted.

With regards to public opinion, just look at the bedroom tax. Very unpopular (there were protests), yet it still exists.

I wouldn't call the bedroom tax a ridiculous bill though. A ridiculous bill, at least in my opinion, would be something like banning the Internet. You make a fair point though, I don't really have much of a counter-argument to the Lords except that the government sometimes abandons their bill if the Lords keep on delaying it. Also devolution has to some extent set up quasi-federalism in the UK, in the sense that, if Parliament suddenly decided to reverse all devolution to Wales and in particular Scotland, the likely response of an independence movement would deter Parliament from doing so. So yes, again, in theory I would say they can do what it likes, but parties primary goal is nearly always re-election and exploiting the sovereign power of Parliament would hinder any possibility of a re-election.
(edited 8 years ago)

the questions I posted were from past year public law exam questions from LSE, KCL and Birbeck. I saw the relation to the Edexcel Unit 2 topic so decided to give those questions an attempt.

you are far too intelligent. are you aiming for Oxbridge? I think you should. btw how do you know so much? do you read stuff on your own outside of school hours or do you have a really good teacher? cos most of the stuff you mentioned is just GOLD! and it's actually university level stuff. WOW!

Do you have any mock questions on Unit 1 and 2 that you could provide here? I would like to attempt them and you could tell me if I'm right or wrong? You have no idea how pleased I am to have come across someone of your substance on the politics thread.
@Abstract_Prism I came across another highly intelligent forum member @Z212
Hi Z212. how's your studying for Unit 1 and 2 coming along? do you have any questions you would like us to attempt so that we can learn from each other?
the questions I posted were from past year public law exam questions from LSE, KCL and Birbeck. I saw the relation to the Edexcel Unit 2 topic so decided to give those questions an attempt.

you are far too intelligent. are you aiming for Oxbridge? I think you should. btw how do you know so much? do you read stuff on your own outside of school hours or do you have a really good teacher? cos most of the stuff you mentioned is just GOLD! and it's actually university level stuff. WOW!

Do you have any mock questions on Unit 1 and 2 that you could provide here? I would like to attempt them and you could tell me if I'm right or wrong? You have no idea how pleased I am to have come across someone of your substance on the politics thread.

Oh my, you're making me blush :colondollar:

How do I know it? I literally read through the textbook and memorise it. Every single point. That Neil McNaughton 4th Edition AS Politics book? No joke, I can close my eyes and read it, every single page. Teacher's not bad, but I don't really pay that much attention in class. Don't do homework either :tongue: If I could, I would just do all my work independently.

I can attach the documents that have my answers to a bunch of past papers if you want? You can find all the past papers on the board's website.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh my, you're making me blush :colondollar:

How do I know it? I literally read through the textbook and memorise it. Every single point. That Neil McNaughton 4th Edition AS Politics book? No joke, I can close my eyes and read it, every single page. Teacher's not bad, but I don't really pay that much attention in class. Don't do homework either :tongue: If I could, I would just do all my work independently.

I can attach the documents that have my answers to a bunch of past papers if you want? You can find all the past papers on the board's website.

Umm, perhaps ignore Audrey and do post anything helpful on this thread. Just because people don't post doesn't mean that it won't be helpful for them.

She really does have quite an ignorant outlook to the attitude of this thread. A lot of other people are struggling - they can't constantly help you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Good. There's two threads?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The unit one thread and the thread covering both units :smile:
Reply 392
@Abstract_Prism I came across another highly intelligent forum member @Z212
Hi Z212. how's your studying for Unit 1 and 2 coming along? do you have any questions you would like us to attempt so that we can learn from each other?

lol Thank you for the compliment :smile: You are extremely intelligent as well. Currently I don't have any questions. I'm really just floating around the politics forums seeing if I can contribute to anything and I'm just learning a lot more stuff reading people's comments :wink:
Original post by Z212
lol Thank you for the compliment :smile: You are extremely intelligent as well. Currently I don't have any questions. I'm really just floating around the politics forums seeing if I can contribute to anything and I'm just learning a lot more stuff reading people's comments :wink:

I'm still here, alive and breathing. :u::h::tongue:

You know it's really such a breath of fresh air when I see quality posts from you and @Abstract_Prism
do you do a lot of reading outside of lessons or do you have a very good teacher? I just wish I had caught sight of both of you much earlier. If I could I would christen both of you political ambassadors on this forum. Both of you have the knowledge and the expertise. It would be apt!
What's easier to learn
Pressure groups or political parties?
Reply 395
I'm still here, alive and breathing. :u::h::tongue:

You know it's really such a breath of fresh air when I see quality posts from you and @Abstract_Prism
do you do a lot of reading outside of lessons or do you have a very good teacher? I just wish I had caught sight of both of you much earlier. If I could I would christen both of you political ambassadors on this forum. Both of you have the knowledge and the expertise. It would be apt!

Wow haha thanks so much. Yeah my teacher is amazing and I watch the news if that helps lol
Original post by xxvine
What's easier to learn
Pressure groups or political parties?

I'd say pressure groups generally but the C question for political parties has pretty much been the same Q reworded since 2009 now so it's predictable I think...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
I'd say pressure groups generally but the C question for political parties has pretty much been the same Q reworded since 2009 now so it's predictable I think...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's that?
Original post by xxvine
What's that?

Pretty much about if parties are divided. If you knew about:
- if the labour party are divided and how much they've changed
- if the Conservative party are divided and how much they've changed

Then you shouldn't really be caught out for the C really. I appreciate it's a hard topic though. Drafting an answer to "to what extent are the major parties internally divided on policy and ideas?" would give you stuff that I'm highly betting you'd be able to use in the actual thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How i am doing my revision is by doing two chapters in unit 1 - Democracy and Pressure groups as they seemed to be the easiest when learning them and both chapters are quite juicy in terms of that there is A LOT to say about both democracy and pressure groups
I haven't done unit 2 yet but i'm going to get my teachers advice on how to go about it because i'm pretty sure only two of the 4 topics come up but you don't know which two topics come up, i'm not sure.

Key revision practice!
Ask your teacher to give you all the 5s,10s, and 25 markers for the two topics in unit 1 you decide to revise that have come up in the past as theres a high chance that these questions may come up again but just phrased differently and just answer all of them without looking at the marks scheme until you have fully written out the essay and then get them marked by either your teacher or yourself. You may think you know the content but you just repeating it out loud will do you nothing; its about using the information and using it to develop an answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending