The Student Room Group

Edexcel Govt and Politics Unit 1 and 2?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxvine
Omg thanks
It seems your on course for an A!
I think constitution will be the 45 marker and there is only so many questions they can ask....?

Thanks you're too kind :biggrin:

I would breathe a sigh of relief if the Constitution was the 40 marker! It is definitely the most interesting topic in Unit 2 and therefore easier to learn. But even so most of the examples I listed can be used in all topics particularly the judiciary.
Original post by con.brown
Thanks you're too kind :biggrin:

I would breathe a sigh of relief if the Constitution was the 40 marker! It is definitely the most interesting topic in Unit 2 and therefore easier to learn. But even so most of the examples I listed can be used in all topics particularly the judiciary.

Are you learning all 4 topics?
I know it's not a question directed at me but...

Personally I'm doing Parliament, Constitution and Judiciary.

I'd rather learn three topics really well rather than four topics adequately.
Original post by popcornjpg
I know it's not a question directed at me but...

Personally I'm doing Parliament, Constitution and Judiciary.

I'd rather learn three topics really well rather than four topics adequately.

Find judiciary hard
Gonna do PM instead
Original post by xxvine
Find judiciary hard
Gonna do PM instead

It's a bit difficult at first, yes, but once you get the hang of it it's very easy actually. Lots of modern examples to use, and links very well to the Constitution topic.

I found PM and Cabinet more complicated, for EdExcel it is IMO the bulkiest of all units.
It's a bit difficult at first, yes, but once you get the hang of it it's very easy actually. Lots of modern examples to use, and links very well to the Constitution topic.

I found PM and Cabinet more complicated, for EdExcel it is IMO the bulkiest of all units.

hmm maybe
what about parliament?
Original post by xxvine
hmm maybe
what about parliament?

Parliament is quite easy IMO, examples are easy to find for everything, and the questions for EdExcel are generally nice too

Constitution a bit harder maybe but still fine.

PM and Cabinet is just a bit more difficult to get sense of for me because of all the conventions governing cabinet government. There are less examples also, but still fine (e.g. Iain Duncan Smith).
Original post by xxvine
Are you learning all 4 topics?

No unfortunately not I've got 3 A2s to contend with as well so I haven't got the time, it's all depth over breadth for me.

I'm learning 3 for each Unit-

So Democracy, Elections, Parties and Constitution, Parliament and the Judiciary.

I definitely agree with the comments on here that the Executive is too long rather dull and difficult to find up to date examples.
Original post by xxvine
I hate unit 2 as well
Hate parliament and PM

I actually prefer it to Unit 1. Unit 1 is easier, but less interesting.
Original post by Lewismioc
Yeah you are right. Usually its about 70% for an A, so hopefully it wont go above that.

Thank the Lord for Politics grade boundaries.
Original post by jamestg
What do people not understand about it being one point I wrote...

I needed clarification for one point, which in the end was right and I got full marks in my essay :tongue:

But yeah you have to remember there's no right or wrong answers, excluding facts. Some people, including my teacher, feel judicial independence only appears present on the surface but there are things that undermine it.

There are many holes in your argument. JAC appointments can be vetoed by government, politicians are interfering with the removal of judges, the BoE is controlled by the government and the SC being in separate building does not increase independence. It was merely a symbolic move.

Admittedly I am being picky, but in my opinion judicial independence is such an important concept to the judicial system, you cannot claim it has been achieved or even been improved when there are many flaws.

JAC appointments can be vetoed by the Lord Chancellor, but only once, and then can no longer do so. Or he can ask for a reconsideration of the appointment.

The Bank of England was made independent by the last Labour government, so it is not in fact controlled by the government. As for the SC being moved to Middlesex Guildhall, that is admittedly more symbolic than anything else.
Reply 591
Is anyone retaking Unit 1; Democracy + Pressure groups??

What do you guys think will come up this year? It's so hard to predict!
Original post by bsbnah
Is anyone retaking Unit 1; Democracy + Pressure groups??

What do you guys think will come up this year? It's so hard to predict!

I want to find out too!
Reply 593
Original post by kermeelion
I want to find out too!

I've noticed that if you manage to make practice answers for every 25 marker then you're sorted for the 10 markers too!

My prediction is probably ways to strengthen participation or referendums possibly?

I dont know though, do tell me what you predict! :smile:
Original post by bsbnah
I've noticed that if you manage to make practice answers for every 25 marker then you're sorted for the 10 markers too!

My prediction is probably ways to strengthen participation or referendums possibly?

I dont know though, do tell me what you predict! :smile:

Referendums for democracy, I'm 90 per cent sure

Hasn't been a referendums question in some time + EU referendum means it is a good time, even if they plan out the questions in advance the Tories made it known it would be 2016/2017

Hasn't been a referendums question in some time + EU referendum means it is a good time, even if they plan out the questions in advance the Tories made it known it would be 2016/2017

So what....for and against?
Original post by xxvine
So what....for and against?

well, you can't predict that

plan for all possible command words
well, you can't predict that

plan for all possible command words

what else can they possibly ask apart from that or direct democracy ?

For 25 markers right its 2 for and 2 against and then conclusion? Only 25 mins so that seems logical right?
Reply 598
Original post by xxvine
what else can they possibly ask apart from that or direct democracy ?

For 25 markers right its 2 for and 2 against and then conclusion? Only 25 mins so that seems logical right?

They could also ask about representative democracy.

For 25 markers, i like to do 3 points for 3 against just in case :smile:
Reply 599

Thats true! Plus following the scottish referendum, it's very likely.

Are you doing pressure groups?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending