The Student Room Group

Electricity Questions Please Help?

Hi all,
Can anybody put me straight on these questions please.........

Aluminium is extracted from its ore by an eletrolytic process.
One extraction plant uses an applied e.m.f. of 6 V, and a current of
180 000 A. One tonne of aluminium is extracted after 15 hours.

(i) What is the power consumption of the electrolysis?

P=VI, 6 V x 180 000 A = 1080000 W, am i on the right lines,or do i some how need to incorperate the time of 15 hours?

(ii) What is the effective electrical resistance of the cell?

R = V/I 6 V / 180 000 A = 3.3x1053.3x10^5, Dose this look right?

(iii)How much energy, in joules, is used in extracting one tonne of aluminium. would this be the power consumption x 15 hours?

Any help would be very much appreciated thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
part(i) is right, But remember watts is joules per second, that should enable you to answer the last part of the question also. How many seconds in 15 hours?
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, 60 x 60 x 15 = 54000s

(iii) 1080000W x 54000s =
Unparseable latex formula:

5.832x10^1^0 J s^-^1

Am i right here:confused: what about part (ii) any ideas?
Reply 3
luap
Thanks for the reply, 60 x 60 x 15 = 54000s

(iii) 1080000W x 54000s =

5.832x10^1^0 J s^-^1

Am i right here:confused: what about part (ii) any ideas?

Yeah I think that is the answer for amount of energy in joules used in 15 hours. It should just be a joules answer though.

5.832x10^1^0 J

(ii) Looks fine to me too but the exponent needs a change of sign.That resistance is huge :smile: it's .000033 ohms not 33000 ohms.

3.3x1053.3x10^{-5}
Reply 4
Thanks dude your quite right, i made an edit earlier which i fooooked up thanks again for all your help.
Regards
luap.:wink:
Reply 5
Can you help with this question? it seems quite simple but just to cover my arse!

The electricity cost is critical for the final price of the aluminium. What cost per kWh of electricity is acceptable if the company wishes to restrict the electricity cost to £200 per tonne or less?

One would assume that you simply divide £200 by 15 hours? About £13 per kWh to give £195 per tonne.

Any suggestions??

Regards
Luap.
Reply 6
That sounds fine by me I'd give the answer as about £13.33 though. Just to be accurate.

It's pretty clear why a fairly abundant element like Aluminium is relatively expensive though. 6v at 180000 A :/ smoking boots if you got zapped by that.:smile:
Reply 7
for part i

the units is already kilowatt hours as powe is measured in watts and your time is larger than an hour.
Reply 8
Sycren
for part i

the units is already kilowatt hours as powe is measured in watts and your time is larger than an hour.

His answer is in watts not kW hours, to present a kWh answer is fairly simple too obviously; in a second though his answer is correct, Watts=J/s. I suppose it depends how you want to interpret the question but I don't think it mentions the answer has to be in kWh but it's simple to convert it anyway. And for 15 hours it's the same as kWh as it is for Joules per hour, but maybe I'm misinterpreting the question?

1W=1Js1W=1\frac{J}{s}

1080000W=1080000 J/s
Reply 9
The energy in one kilowatt-hour is:

E=Pt=1000×602=3.6×106J.E = P\,t = 1000\times 60^{2} = 3.6\times 10^{6}\,\mathrm{J}.

That should help. :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah if you want to convert it into kW hours? I suppose, but I'm kind of confused why people are obsessing over KwH when the question doesn't ask you to express it in a particular unit form? Anyway it's pimply to do it either way. Mind you I haven't done physics in five years, so it's probably just a convention. Anyway your answers are all correct as far as I can see.
Reply 11
Thanks for all your reply's, im going to stick with Watts as i believe this is what the question is asking.

Can you plesase help with this question??

Domestic aluminium foil for food use is

15 x 10^-^6 m

thick. In my local supermarket, a roll of foil measuring 12 m by 0.5 m costs £2.29.

(i) Calculate the cost per tonne of foil as purchased in the supermarket.
Account for any difference between this cost and the raw material cost of £1200 per tonne.

The density of aluminium is

2700 kg m^-^3

Once again i thank you for your help.
Regard's
Luap.
Reply 12
Luap something tells me you should of paid more attention in class. :smile:

Think what this is asking here, it's asking you to work out how many rolls of tin foil in one tonne and then to compare prices. You have all the information there you need.

What does density =.
Reply 13
You may have a point, but on these particular questions im unsure on the answers and that is why im asking, that said your entitled to have your say.
Reply 14
luap
You may have a point, but on these particular questions im unsure on the answers and that is why im asking, that said your entitled to have your say.

Oh I didn't mean to slight you, I was only kidding sorry :smile:

But think about what I said? density=mass/volume right?
Reply 15
OK, dude im stuck not sure were to start.

density=mass/volume, ok so, i have the density

2700kg m^-^3

and the volume, i think it's 12m by 0.5m do i some how put this into the equation

15 x 10^-^6 m

thick.

So rework the equation to give m=dxv m = d x v ?

HELP I REALLY AM STUCK ON THIS ONE:confused:
CHEER'S
LUAP.
Reply 16
Just multiply the two length and width values by your depth. And you should get a volume it's not an equation it's just a small value of metres .000015 m. You're right about rearranging the equation as you have volume and density and what your looking for is mass. I think you can go from there yes?
Reply 17
Erm, 12000 x 0.500 = 6000

6000/15 x 10^-^6

=0.09

M=2700x103/0.09=30000000m3M= 2700 x 10^3/ 0.09=30000000 m^3

Sorry i know this is solid of me but have'nt really had time to scratch up,am i on the right lines? i dont think i am :confused: i'll kick my self i know it
Reply 18
Mass=volumexdensity.

Also that's 2700kg for ever m^3 of volume, so you don't need to multiply by a thousand as your already working in m^3 units same with you 12m that's in m, leave it as 12. You should end up with a pretty small mass.

The answer is in Kg also don't forget your SI unit for mass.

when you use ^-3 it means your talking about x per y. Same as in metres per second^-1 which really means m *1/s. Or just m/s.

10^-1 =1/10 it's not the same as 10x10^-1 which=1

^-1 is the reciprocal of ^1
^-2 is the reciprocal of ^2

so 2^-1 =1/2
2^-2=1/4 which multiplied by 2^2 gives 1.

Have you ever noticed that

2222=1\frac {2^2}{2^{-2}}=1

or

x2x2=1\frac {x^2}{x^{-2}}=1

don't worry your not doing anything anyone else hasn't done in their time, it just takes a while to get to grips with.
Reply 19
12000 x 0.500 = 6000

6000 x 2700kg m ^-^3 = 1.62 x 10^1^0 kg

. on my life, why is it not sinking in? is the above anywere near right
:confused:

Latest