The Student Room Group

Msc mechanical Engineering

I’m an international student having offers from uni of Sheffield, leeds, Liverpool and loughborough for msc mechanical engineering. What is the best option with respect to course reputation, industry connections and social life.
Reply 1
I visited all these unis but for electrical/mechanical engineering and imo the facilities were the best at Sheffield, with Sheffield also having the best social life and student union.

In terms of reputation they’re all fairly equal but I think Loughborough is the best known for engineering? I may be wrong but that’s a common university my friends applied to for engineering.
Original post by Naivespartan
I’m an international student having offers from uni of Sheffield, leeds, Liverpool and loughborough for msc mechanical engineering. What is the best option with respect to course reputation, industry connections and social life.

Hi @Naivespartan,

I know I've already replied to you on a different post, but I wanted to post again here with a similar post in case it helps others.

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

You may have done this, but have you compared each course page and the modules or statistics on those pages, including information about any professional recognition? You can see Loughborough's Mechanical Engineering MSc programme here and also read about the School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering here.

You may also want to explore some student stories as well to help with comparing each university. Here are some stories from students who have studied at the School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering at Loughborough. You can also view this blog here to hear from another international student at Loughborough.

I would also review our postgraduate study page for further information about studying at Loughborough and what it's like to study here as an international student.

I would also recommend taking a look at some careers information. You can view more details about Loughborough's Careers Network here and how it supports students.

At the end of the day, you have to choose somewhere where you see yourself being most happy. So you may want to look at other factors such as societies or sports teams, location and accommodation.

If you have any other questions, please let us know :smile: alternatively, you can email our International Office on [email protected] if you want any further information too.

- Lindsay
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for the reply. Sheffield is definitely higher in rankings than the others I have mentioned. Do the recruiters look at the university rank as a criteria? Or is it all the same if you do the degree from any recognised university?

Original post by gglr
I visited all these unis but for electrical/mechanical engineering and imo the facilities were the best at Sheffield, with Sheffield also having the best social life and student union.

In terms of reputation they’re all fairly equal but I think Loughborough is the best known for engineering? I may be wrong but that’s a common university my friends applied to for engineering.
Reply 4
Thank you. I will have a look at all the pages you mentioned.

Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @Naivespartan,

I know I've already replied to you on a different post, but I wanted to post again here with a similar post in case it helps others.

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

You may have done this, but have you compared each course page and the modules or statistics on those pages, including information about any professional recognition? You can see Loughborough's Mechanical Engineering MSc programme here and also read about the School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering here.

You may also want to explore some student stories as well to help with comparing each university. Here are some stories from students who have studied at the School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering at Loughborough. You can also view this blog here to hear from another international student at Loughborough.

I would also review our postgraduate study page for further information about studying at Loughborough and what it's like to study here as an international student.

I would also recommend taking a look at some careers information. You can view more details about Loughborough's Careers Network here and how it supports students.

At the end of the day, you have to choose somewhere where you see yourself being most happy. So you may want to look at other factors such as societies or sports teams, location and accommodation.

If you have any other questions, please let us know :smile: alternatively, you can email our International Office on [email protected] if you want any further information too.

- Lindsay
Reply 5
Original post by Naivespartan
Thank you for the reply. Sheffield is definitely higher in rankings than the others I have mentioned. Do the recruiters look at the university rank as a criteria? Or is it all the same if you do the degree from any recognised university?

Since they’re all on a fairly similar level, I think recruiters will see them equally honestly

Quick Reply

Latest