The Student Room Group

Covering up scars?

I've got self harm scars all up my left arm and legs, they're not that deep but they're fresh and red. My parents don't know about them and I have to do a P.E. thing soon. Does ANYONE know how to cover them up or reduce them? The uniforms shore sleeves and a 'skort' so its all on show and they make me really self conscious.
Might want to post in mental health subforum
Reply 2
wear those skin coloured tights

use the tattoo coverup foundations
Maybe put foundation over the scars? Or put a bandage on the worst effected area and say you have spilled boiling tea on it and its burned. And wear tights? And arm warmers?
why is this in the personal statements forum?
Firstly I would suggest looking into mental health services in your area in regards to the self harm, if you feel comfortable doing so. Stay safe!!

In regards to the scars: if they're still red I would first suggest washing and then dabbing some saline on any fresher ones- don't risk infection! It could help the cuts heal faster too.
A green colour corrector, along with concealer and some foundation could help cover them up. Use primer before the corrector, and use a setting powder/spray afterwards for staying power. I'm not 100% sure how convincing it will look though...
The make up usually makes it look worse (and get infected :/ ) so I would say wear one of those support bandage things (buy them from pound land or wilko if you don't have one) or just throw up and don't do pe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
If they're fresh then there's pretty much nothing you can do to reduce them. Healing just takes time, unfortunately. So you will have to cover them up. For covering up you have two main options:

1. Wear a bandage over the affected areas. This may be a bit conspicuous, especially since the areas you've mentioned are quite typical self-harm spots. But remember if anyone asks why you are wearing a bandage you are under no obligation to tell them the truth. My personal tactic was always to say "Oh, I was in a knife fight with a shark" or something like that. Most people will not press you.

2. Wear something else. I understand that it sounds like you have a uniform you have to follow, but remember that the school CANNOT make you wear short sleeves if you don't want to. It is literally illegal. You can claim religious exemption if you like. The muslim girls in my school wore long sleeves all year round.

Your final option of course would be to skip the thing. Claim period pain, migraine, just don't turn up, whatever you like.

Stay safe

Quick Reply

Latest