The Student Room Group

Thoughts of death driving me crazy!

OK, so I keep thinking about death... like what happens to us after we die, we just stop existing right? It's really hard to explain, and I never thought about it before, it just started bugging me a few nights ago and now I can't get it out of my head!It feels like whatever I do doesn't matter now because I'm just going to end up dead in a few years.I really want to get over this, please I swear this is killing me (ironically)I just don't want to think about it until I'm old and wrinklyI am religious (muslim) however it's just not helping me right now, these thoughts of afterlife don't make much sense to meI also keep thinking about how replaceable we are, we're just a bunch of organs and tissues right?Please help me forget about all of this, I just want to forget about death rn
Hi :smile:

I'm atheist, and like you said, I believe that when we die, we stop existing. It's a difficult concept to grasp at first, but just imagine what it was like before you were born. You didn't exist then, and you weren't aware that you didn't exist. That's what I believe death will be like as well.

Instead of thinking that life doesn't matter as you'll die anyway, try to change your way of thinking and view it more positively. For me, knowing that I will die one day actually makes life more meaningful, as it encourages me to live life to the fullest and do things which make me happy, help others etc before I'm no longer able to.

Before I became atheist, one of the things which prevented me from leaving my previous faith was fear of death, so I understand where you're coming from. But while I was doing the research which ultimately led me to atheism, I came across this quote by Epicurus, which I really like: "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here, and when death does come, we no longer exist." It made me realise that when I die, I won't even know I am dead, so there is nothing to fear.

Death is an inevitable part of life, and it's important to spend the time we have left enjoying life as much as we can, and doing things which are positive for both ourselves and others. I hope my answer has helped you to stop worrying so much :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi :smile:

I'm atheist, and like you said, I believe that when we die, we stop existing. It's a difficult concept to grasp at first, but just imagine what it was like before you were born. You didn't exist then, and you weren't aware that you didn't exist. That's what I believe death will be like as well.

Instead of thinking that life doesn't matter as you'll die anyway, try to change your way of thinking and view it more positively. For me, knowing that I will die one day actually makes life more meaningful, as it encourages me to live life to the fullest and do things which make me happy, help others etc before I'm no longer able to.

Before I became atheist, one of the things which prevented me from leaving my previous faith was fear of death, so I understand where you're coming from. But while I was doing the research which ultimately led me to atheism, I came across this quote by Epicurus, which I really like: "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here, and when death does come, we no longer exist." It made me realise that when I die, I won't even know I am dead, so there is nothing to fear.

Death is an inevitable part of life, and it's important to spend the time we have left enjoying life as much as we can, and doing things which are positive for both ourselves and others. I hope my answer has helped you to stop worrying so much :smile:

Thanks, I'm trying to be more positive... however it still gets getting used to, you know, not existing at the end of this

Quick Reply

Latest