The Student Room Group

Struggling with AS resits and A2 study...

Ok, so last year for AS I got ABCC in French, English, Biol and Maths...I've been an A grade student all my life, but personal problems last year resulted in those grades :s-smilie:

Anyway, this I'm resitting all my AS Maths and Biol modules, as well as studying A2 Maths, French and Biol.

It's a crazy workload, and I was hoping someone could give me some advice on getting through it all? I want A/A*s, but I'm homeschooled and study everything myself, so that along with the work itself being intensive is flooring me already :frown:
I allocate time for hobbies (kinda...) to try and stay sane, but I feel I'm not moving fast enough....

I appreciate any help and advice guys! :biggrin:
Hey what exam boards do you do?
I'm also doing biology A2(OCR) and resitting all of AS maths(AQA) as well as doing the A2.
Reply 2
Hi there! I'm doing Biology with Edexcel and Maths with AQA.
I did biology-OCR last year and got 93%.
I basically read through a revision guide untill i understood everything and did every past papers learning what key words the mark-scheme liked and disliked.

This year I'm revising alot more, making flashcards on my tablet and then testing myself. Download an app called flashcardspro or something like that. I make flashcards of every page in the book, turning each paragraph or definition into a question. Going through them whilst watching a football match or when i'm on the bus is easy revision. Since your homeschooled as i used the bus i would go through all of them an hour before bed or something. I spend 80mins on the bus a day so i do it then.

For maths last year i did not understand alot of the content in class and when i did pastpapers i would make mistakes and understand the answer but i was not learning anything. One thing undertanding an answer and another being able to use the exact same knowledge in a different question. This year If i don't get something in class I go home and go through the revision guide as i find understanding the theory behind maths helps alot.

I also do AQA and will be doing C1,2,3,4 D1 and S1 in the summer.
After learning C3, core two is easy as its basically the basicis of C3. By now C1 feels like gcse maths.
If i was you i would learn C3 to a A* standard and then go back and do C1 and C2, you will be able to do them very very easily.
Core 4 is something like C3 you will have to learn from scratch.

D1 is a memory test and so is S1.

I self taught myself C3 in the holidays so if you have any questions you can pm me.
If you get stuck post a image of the question in the maths forum, alot of the people on here can do a level maths questions very very easily.
Reply 4
Is all the work actually necessary? Were your problems throughout the whole year or just towards exams; I think that if things just went badly around the exam period then most of the work should already be done and it's just a case of making sure you don't forget everything.

I resat all of my maths modules alongside A2 and I only came back to the AS modules a few months before the exams, and I also resat one of my Physics modules.
Reply 5
Original post by whydoidothis?
I did biology-OCR last year and got 93%.
I basically read through a revision guide untill i understood everything and did every past papers learning what key words the mark-scheme liked and disliked.

This year I'm revising alot more, making flashcards on my tablet and then testing myself. Download an app called flashcardspro or something like that. I make flashcards of every page in the book, turning each paragraph or definition into a question. Going through them whilst watching a football match or when i'm on the bus is easy revision. Since your homeschooled as i used the bus i would go through all of them an hour before bed or something. I spend 80mins on the bus a day so i do it then.

For maths last year i did not understand alot of the content in class and when i did pastpapers i would make mistakes and understand the answer but i was not learning anything. One thing undertanding an answer and another being able to use the exact same knowledge in a different question. This year If i don't get something in class I go home and go through the revision guide as i find understanding the theory behind maths helps alot.

I also do AQA and will be doing C1,2,3,4 D1 and S1 in the summer.
After learning C3, core two is easy as its basically the basicis of C3. By now C1 feels like gcse maths.
If i was you i would learn C3 to a A* standard and then go back and do C1 and C2, you will be able to do them very very easily.
Core 4 is something like C3 you will have to learn from scratch.

D1 is a memory test and so is S1.

I self taught myself C3 in the holidays so if you have any questions you can pm me.
If you get stuck post a image of the question in the maths forum, alot of the people on here can do a level maths questions very very easily.

Wow, well done for your Bio! :smile: And thanks for the advice, it's given me some hope haha. I feel you with regards to the C1 Maths, it is definitely easy in comparison. Tbh, it's mainly C3 right now which feels hard :s-smilie: But I'm getting through it. Thanks again! :ta:
Reply 6
Original post by Alex621
Is all the work actually necessary? Were your problems throughout the whole year or just towards exams; I think that if things just went badly around the exam period then most of the work should already be done and it's just a case of making sure you don't forget everything.

I resat all of my maths modules alongside A2 and I only came back to the AS modules a few months before the exams, and I also resat one of my Physics modules.

Sadly they were :s-smilie: My entire year was a mess lol. I may try that idea though, coming back to the AS work later...thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by sophzhr
Sadly they were :s-smilie: My entire year was a mess lol. I may try that idea though, coming back to the AS work later...thanks!

For maths and maybe biology the A2 content should link in some ways to the AS content acting as a small bit of revision in itself, and it should make the AS stuff feel easier too. I'm sure you can do it! :smile: Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending