The Student Room Group

Resitting A Levels in Gap Year

So, i got AAD at AS in chemistry, psychology and biology and got ACC at A2 in psychology, biology & chem. I didn't apply to uni this year as i thought i would take a gap year to take a year off education bc i believed i would get my predicted grades as i worked very very hard (A*AB) but i did suffer from extenuating circumstances in year 13 which probably explain the A2 grades i eventually ended up with.
I now want to resit the bio & chem as a private candidate and apply for either Optom/Pharmacy but I'm not sure how to go about studying alone through out my gap year and how to keep the momentum going. Could someone who has resat like this share their tips or if anyone is resitting this year also share how they're going to do it.
Also, is it even worth resitting?

EDIT - if anyone is resitting and wants to be added to a groupchat on whatsapp of people that are also resitting, please PM me :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i got a C in chemistry last year. I worked hard this year and got an A, i was so pissed off tho because i was 4 marks off an A*. PS i did it as a private candidate.
Reply 2
Original post by Joe Walton
i got a C in chemistry last year. I worked hard this year and got an A, i was so pissed off tho because i was 4 marks off an A*. PS i did it as a private candidate.

How did you do it? Did you have a private tutor and how much did you revise throughout the year? Any tips would be really appreciated ty :smile:
Original post by fauziaa
How did you do it? Did you have a private tutor and how much did you revise throughout the year? Any tips would be really appreciated ty :smile:

well, i didn't have a tutor. I did 3 subjects at school and chemistry privately. I went and did every single past paper and went through the textbook and spec to write notes as well as ask my old chemistry teacher for the practice papers which are locked on the interchange. Hard work and dedication is the only way. I was revising 8 hours a day when it got nearer to exams
Reply 4
well, i didn't have a tutor. I did 3 subjects at school and chemistry privately. I went and did every single past paper and went through the textbook and spec to write notes as well as ask my old chemistry teacher for the practice papers which are locked on the interchange. Hard work and dedication is the only way. I was revising 8 hours a day when it got nearer to exams

I don’t think hard work was my issue this year, I was also doing 6/7 hours a day but I just messed up in the exams, hopefully I’m going to get my scripts back and see where exactly I went wrong because I did think I did quite well. Well done for getting the grades you achieved :smile:
Reply 5

Does that mean you didn't attend a college and did independent study?
I'm planning to do a resit for my subjects and was wondering what your experience was like.
So glad there is someone In the same situation as me! I’m also planning to resit this year and don’t know how to stay motivated. I would revise all day for ages, but I really messed up in the exams and ending up missing my firm/insurance. Are you planning to reapply to uni this year? And if so, with the same personal statement?

There should be a group chat with everyone resitting as we could motivate eachother!
Reply 7
Original post by Student_17362929
So glad there is someone In the same situation as me! I’m also planning to resit this year and don’t know how to stay motivated. I would revise all day for ages, but I really messed up in the exams and ending up missing my firm/insurance. Are you planning to reapply to uni this year? And if so, with the same personal statement?

There should be a group chat with everyone resitting as we could motivate eachother!

I revised loads as well, i think i'm quite hard working but i guess everything happens for a reason..
Yep i am reapplying but i didn't apply last year so i'm going to have to come up with a new one and i agree, it feels as if i'm very lonely atm and no one is in my situation when there actually are lots of people we should deffo make the group chat. What grades did you get?
Original post by fauziaa
I revised loads as well, i think i'm quite hard working but i guess everything happens for a reason..
Yep i am reapplying but i didn't apply last year so i'm going to have to come up with a new one and i agree, it feels as if i'm very lonely atm and no one is in my situation when there actually are lots of people we should deffo make the group chat. What grades did you get?

Everything will work out in the end. There are definetly loads of people in our situation, I’m sure. I got BBD and I’m taking Biology, psychology and maths. I don’t know when and where to start with revision to be honest:s-smilie:
Reply 9
Everything will work out in the end. There are definetly loads of people in our situation, I’m sure. I got BBD and I’m taking Biology, psychology and maths. I don’t know when and where to start with revision to be honest:s-smilie:

What are you looking to apply for & are u resitting privately or at sixth form (i'm guessing private)
In the same boat. I just didn't revise enough, started around a week before the exams
Original post by fauziaa
What are you looking to apply for & are u resitting privately or at sixth form (i'm guessing private)

Applying for biology, and I’m going to try resit them at my sixth form, but as a private candidate (if they let me). How about you?
Reply 12
Applying for biology, and I’m going to try resit them at my sixth form, but as a private candidate (if they let me). How about you?

I've been given both options, to either resit privately or to go back to sixth form just for my 2 subjects but i've chosen to go privately b/c i just think going back to sixth form is a waste of time and i'm much more productive alone anyway
Original post by fauziaa
I've been given both options, to either resit privately or to go back to sixth form just for my 2 subjects but i've chosen to go privately b/c i just think going back to sixth form is a waste of time and i'm much more productive alone anyway

Thats the same with me, self-teaching feels more effective to me. Do you have any idea of when you’re going to start revision because exams seem so far away and are you rewriting notes etc?
Hey, I'm resitting as well
Reply 15
Thats the same with me, self-teaching feels more effective to me. Do you have any idea of when you’re going to start revision because exams seem so far away and are you rewriting notes etc?

well i've spoken to several people who resat in their gap year & self-taught and my brother also resat 2 A-levels and took up a new a level in his gap year, the advice i've been given is basically to start early but not too early as in build up your revision slowly in September/October, maybe do 5/6 hours a week so you're not forgetting content up until late November because you also want to make sure you dont burn out too early.
From december - march, make sure you've covered most of the content and understand it all, then just do hardcore revision from Easter onwards (as in just past papers)
Also, if you can get your scripts back so you can see what mistakes you made the first time around & get a tutor if you can as well. I think we should also probably have a plan of how you're going to pace yourself with the content throughout the year, so basically plan when you're going to do what topic and then set a date that you'll do a test for that topic etc. You're basically going to be your own teacher lol
Reply 16
Original post by ABK99
Hey, I'm resitting as well

What are you resitting?
I'm not resitting but I'm planning to take an entirely new A level through online teaching as I only have two and couldn't get my preferred course through clearing.
Do you know if it's possible to sit an exam as a private candidate at a centre where it's not usually offered?
Original post by fauziaa
well i've spoken to several people who resat in their gap year & self-taught and my brother also resat 2 A-levels and took up a new a level in his gap year, the advice i've been given is basically to start early but not too early as in build up your revision slowly in September/October, maybe do 5/6 hours a week so you're not forgetting content up until late November because you also want to make sure you dont burn out too early.
From december - march, make sure you've covered most of the content and understand it all, then just do hardcore revision from Easter onwards (as in just past papers)
Also, if you can get your scripts back so you can see what mistakes you made the first time around & get a tutor if you can as well. I think we should also probably have a plan of how you're going to pace yourself with the content throughout the year, so basically plan when you're going to do what topic and then set a date that you'll do a test for that topic etc. You're basically going to be your own teacher lol

Ahhh okay makes so much more sense now, I’m planning to do something similar. The only thing I can’t get my head around is biology, content-wise it’s doable but it tests your knowledge on exam practice and data questions more :s-smilie: but anyway good luck with revision everyone, and we’ve got this:h:!!
Reply 19
Ahhh okay makes so much more sense now, I’m planning to do something similar. The only thing I can’t get my head around is biology, content-wise it’s doable but it tests your knowledge on exam practice and data questions more :s-smilie: but anyway good luck with revision everyone, and we’ve got this:h:!!

i'm also resitting biology, what spec are you on?

Quick Reply

Latest