The Student Room Group

Computer Science vs Computing?

Hello,

Just wondering if employers (particularly programming companies, web and applications etc) would prefer a computer science grad over a computing grad? I quite like Worcester Uni but they only do a computing course? But it covers quite a lot of practical modules for programming and general computing stuff? Would I be limited at all in the industry if I took computing?

http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/computing-bsc-hons.html
here is a link to the course, is this course the correct route to go down for programming and web design etc?

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
Original post by ultimaterob97
Hello,

Just wondering if employers (particularly programming companies, web and applications etc) would prefer a computer science grad over a computing grad? I quite like Worcester Uni but they only do a computing course? But it covers quite a lot of practical modules for programming and general computing stuff? Would I be limited at all in the industry if I took computing?

http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/computing-bsc-hons.html
here is a link to the course, is this course the correct route to go down for programming and web design etc?

Thanks for any help

They couldn't care less, provided you have the relevant skills, work experience and such (but a Computing student would generally have a slight advantage depending on where they got their degree from, as they would have more practical experience). As the name implies, Computer Science is more theoretical in the sense that you're learning the science behind computers; and comprises in addition the study of the foundations of computational phenomena (why and how do programming languages work) and of the processes and techniques through which new software systems can be built (how do we make sure that programmers will get systems implemented in the way we want them to operate?).

Computing is the practical aspect of CS: you learn more variety of programming languages, and have a solid understanding of the use of computer systems in analysing, managing, processing and communicating information, including large organisations. It's basically exactly the same as a degree in CS, but more practical depending on which uni you go to as they all vary quite a lot.
Thanks very much! That has helped a great deal :smile: I think a computing course would be better for me :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Can you take both Computing and CS A levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending