The Student Room Group

Torn between two different degrees.

I have applied for Computer Science at City University of London and Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Royal Holloway. I doubt I would get into Royal Holloway, which leaves me with Goldsmith or the Open University to study PPE. (However you can't get maintenance loans with the Open University).

I like CS because it gives me the creative freedom to code whatever and has many jobs in the field that I could specialize into. Plus this would be the only chance to study this degree with many of my friends.

However, I am more interested to study PPE because at heart I am a storyteller and want to learn more about the world by studying this degree. I don't know which is the better option? I suppose PPE doesn't directly land me a job, but I wouldn't mind going into teaching or trying to get into the Civil Service, but I could regret it. I feel so torn and lost. Any help is appreciated.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by beatricehalley
I have applied for Computer Science at City University of London and Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Royal Holloway. I doubt I would get into Royal Holloway, which leaves me with Goldsmith or the Open University to study PPE. (However you can't get maintenance loans with the Open University).

I like CS because it gives me the creative freedom to code whatever and has many jobs in the field that I could specialize into. Plus this would be the only chance to study this degree with many of my friends.

However, I am more interested to study PPE because at heart I am a storyteller and want to learn more about the world by studying this degree. I don't know which is the better option? I suppose PPE doesn't directly land me a job, but I wouldn't mind going into teaching or trying to get into the Civil Service, but I could regret it. I feel so torn and lost. Any help is appreciated.

Some graduates don't work in the field they studied.Some graduatea work in the field they studied. Some graduates want to work in the field they studied because they have an interest and want to be in a job that interests them or is a passion to them.

What are you mostly passionate about??? Are you going to be happy with the long hours off teaching? Are you going to be happy in a compu sci tech role?

I'm afraid were living in a world where money 🤑 is important. I would always do a degree that will guarantee me a job (I know you need experience etc) but compu science has more pros to do than cons.

Your choice is teaching (Use of PPE degree) vs computer science tech roles
Your choice is civil service (PPE degree) vs computer science tech roles

Choose the degree wisely as its a debt at the end of the day. A second "free" degree won't be an option as you'd need to study something like an Allied Health Professional course. You could always do PPE say a module or some sort of online courses after graduating?
Original post by Ash1234
Some graduates don't work in the field they studied.Some graduatea work in the field they studied. Some graduates want to work in the field they studied because they have an interest and want to be in a job that interests them or is a passion to them.

What are you mostly passionate about??? Are you going to be happy with the long hours off teaching? Are you going to be happy in a compu sci tech role?

I'm afraid were living in a world where money 🤑 is important. I would always do a degree that will guarantee me a job (I know you need experience etc) but compu science has more pros to do than cons.

Your choice is teaching (Use of PPE degree) vs computer science tech roles
Your choice is civil service (PPE degree) vs computer science tech roles

Choose the degree wisely as its a debt at the end of the day. A second "free" degree won't be an option as you'd need to study something like an Allied Health Professional course. You could always do PPE say a module or some sort of online courses after graduating?

Are PPE prospects really that bad? I was considering it to go into consulting and general economics-oriented careers...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending