The Student Room Group

Number lines and negative numbers (teaching)

Howdy :smile:

I am starting to teach a 7 maths class and seem to be stuck on how how to go about it. The class is lowest ability with every pupil having Dyscalculia, ADHD or Dyspraxia.

We have previously done a successful lesson on multiples and the scheme of work says numbers lines and negative numbers are next.

I can't seem to find anything that is really basic as the class have really low literacy and numeracy ages.

Any suggestions would be great.

So far, I am thinking to a recap on multiples and introduce a number line underneath to say it helps us remember to count up or down easier. Then maybe an activity and then possibly explaining about temperature and then showing a thermometer and find a worksheet to do with temperature gauges on.

Thanks
Original post by Madeezo
Howdy :smile:

I am starting to teach a 7 maths class and seem to be stuck on how how to go about it. The class is lowest ability with every pupil having Dyscalculia, ADHD or Dyspraxia.

We have previously done a successful lesson on multiples and the scheme of work says numbers lines and negative numbers are next.

I can't seem to find anything that is really basic as the class have really low literacy and numeracy ages.

Any suggestions would be great.

So far, I am thinking to a recap on multiples and introduce a number line underneath to say it helps us remember to count up or down easier. Then maybe an activity and then possibly explaining about temperature and then showing a thermometer and find a worksheet to do with temperature gauges on.

Thanks

I thought the number line would come before multiples?
Reply 2
Original post by PrimeLime
I thought the number line would come before multiples?

I thought so too but this is the order I have been told to teach by my mentor :s-smilie:.

Quick Reply

Latest