The Student Room Group

Alevel edexcel maths question

I’m confused on how you tackle part b of this question. I’ve tried solving the inequality but just didn’t get the answer they were looking forIMG_4395.jpeg
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Just expand the squared term and simplify. It should drop out so upload your working if not.
Reply 2
IMG_4398.jpeg
Original post by mqb2766
Just expand the squared term and simplify. It should drop out so upload your working if not.
Reply 3
Original post by kit2247
IMG_4398.jpeg

Your inequality is the wrong way round. Where did you use the info that x<0?
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766

Is the x<0 applied to the right side of the equation only?
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766

You get to the 2xy<8x^2, then because x is less than 0, it is a negative number meaning both sides would be -2xy<-8x^2.
Divide through by x. -2y<-8x, and times both sides by -1, and when you do this you have to flip the inequality sign.
Then you get 2y>8x, and divide by 2, y>4x.
Reply 6
Original post by kit2247
Is the x<0 applied to the right side of the equation only?

x being negative is a property of the variable, you cant just apply it to one side, whatever that means.

Youve nearly got the inequality, just think how might it being > < be determined by the sign of x?
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
x being negative is a property of the variable, you cant just apply it to one side, whatever that means.

Youve nearly got the inequality, just think how might it being > < be determined by the sign of x?

oh okay ty!
Reply 8
Original post by pinkrocket
You get to the 2xy<8x^2, then because x is less than 0, it is a negative number meaning both sides would be -2xy<-8x^2.
Divide through by x. -2y<-8x, and times both sides by -1, and when you do this you have to flip the inequality sign.
Then you get 2y>8x, and divide by 2, y>4x.

You should have flipped the inequality 3 times using this, but youve only done it one time?
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
You should have flipped the inequality 3 times using this, but youve only done it one time?

Why's that?
Reply 10
Original post by pinkrocket
Why's that?

You multiply/divide by a negative number 3 times. Even just thinking about your first line
2xy<8x^2
If you take terms over (so forget about multiplying by -1) you should get
-8x^2 < -2xy
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
You multiply/divide by a negative number 3 times. Even just thinking about your first line
2xy<8x^2
If you take terms over (so forget about multiplying by -1) you should get
-8x^2 < -2xy

Yeah, makes sense now. It's too late for me to be trying to do maths hahahaha. If it were earlier I wouldn't probably have said that.
You just get to the 2xy<8x^2, then divide by 2x, flip the sign and get y>4x

Quick Reply

Latest