The Student Room Group

Im packing so much!! Skin cancer!!

Good lord I am in such a bloody state. Basically I downloaded a skin cancer app (i know.. Hypochondria much) and I took a picture of a mole near my ear and the edges are darker than the actual mole itself :eek::no::lolwut: seriously my heartbeat is everywhere and I am shaking! I am going to see a doc tomorrow but goodness me... Am i being paranoid!!! I didnt test it on the app as i am scared :erm:.. The one near my ear is literally under where my glasses arm would be so it may be irritating it. Regardless, i am now having a headache and feel nauseous and my hands are shivering

Posted from TSR Mobile
First things first...don't panic! Not all uneven moles are signs of skin cancer. The best thing you can do is book an appointment with your GP and get a referral to a dermatologist.

Last year one of my moles kept bleeding and looked weird. I freaked myself out too. But I saw a dermatologist and he removed it, tested it, and found that there was nothing wrong. Just one of those things. I don't know if your dermatologist will do this, but mine got me to strip down and looked at every single mole I have with a special light. I got the all clear. Definitely stopped me panicking.

(but I tell you what, the "anesthetic" they use before cutting it out hurts so damn much)
Original post by Sabertooth
First things first...don't panic! Not all uneven moles are signs of skin cancer. The best thing you can do is book an appointment with your GP and get a referral to a dermatologist.

Last year one of my moles kept bleeding and looked weird. I freaked myself out too. But I saw a dermatologist and he removed it, tested it, and found that there was nothing wrong. Just one of those things. I don't know if your dermatologist will do this, but mine got me to strip down and looked at every single mole I have with a special light. I got the all clear. Definitely stopped me panicking.

(but I tell you what, the "anesthetic" they use before cutting it out hurts so damn much)

Thank you for your kind answer... and how long does that take? The referral I mean! God, I am really panicking even my partner said that it doesn't look good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly92xo
Thank you for your kind answer... and how long does that take? The referral I mean! God, I am really panicking even my partner said that it doesn't look good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The referral will depend on the region of the UK you live in, some places are quicker than others. However, I think this would fall into the 2 week cancer referral target set by the government so hopefully you won't be waiting long.

But really, try to stay calm. I know that's easier said than done but you're doing the best thing you can by seeing your doctor tomorrow.
You'll be reight! Everyone has these scares. Just assume that its nothing until its checked.
Get it looked at by the GP - doesn't take long.
Original post by Sabertooth
The referral will depend on the region of the UK you live in, some places are quicker than others. However, I think this would fall into the 2 week cancer referral target set by the government so hopefully you won't be waiting long.

But really, try to stay calm. I know that's easier said than done but you're doing the best thing you can by seeing your doctor tomorrow.

Original post by hellodave5
You'll be reight! Everyone has these scares. Just assume that its nothing until its checked.
Get it looked at by the GP - doesn't take long.

Thanks guys... I am trying to stay as calm as possible. I really want to get it checked ASAP so I am considering paying private at a sk:n clinic... If I waited for two weeks I would not be able to focus on work or university. My anxiety would simply not allow that to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks guys... I am trying to stay as calm as possible. I really want to get it checked ASAP so I am considering paying private at a sk:n clinic... If I waited for two weeks I would not be able to focus on work or university. My anxiety would simply not allow that to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call GP surgery in morning see if have any free slots that day?
Call GP surgery in morning see if have any free slots that day?

I am but i cant bare to wait two weeks for a consultation with a dermatologist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am but i cant bare to wait two weeks for a consultation with a dermatologist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

GP will likely have a very good idea as to if its abnormal or problematic I would have thought
GP will likely have a very good idea as to if its abnormal or problematic I would have thought

True.. Well i am ringing them tomorow anyway and I've just been sick everywhere and keep on shaking and cryibg. I don't cope with anxiety too well at all even though it could be nothing! Sorry i must be boring you all with my problems! I need to calm down buts its so hard as i am a terrible hypochondriac :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just been to the doctors and he said he isn't concerned but he wants me to get a second opinion from another doctor to see what he thinks, and then see if he needs to remove it for a biopsy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest