The Student Room Group

Woman in UK sentenced to 2 years for sex with underage pupil?

In the UK she had sex with a 15 year old pupil and got 2 years
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-11-17/jail-sentence-for-teaching-assistant-who-originally-walked-free-from-court-after-admitting-sex-with-pupil/

If it was a man they would have got 15 years or something... Am I missing something here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zigglr
http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2015-11-17/jail-sentence-for-teaching-assistant-who-originally-walked-free-from-court-after-admitting-sex-with-pupil/

If it was a man they would have got 15 years or something... Am I missing something here?

how do you know?
Original post by zigglr

http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Aug-2015-Sexual-Offences-Definitive-Guideline-web.pdf

They are the sentencing guidelines that are applied in our legal system. For each offence courts are given a range of sentences that are to be used, however there is also a maximum sentence that falls outside of that range. In the vast majority of cases the sentence passed has to be within the given range but it is possible in special circumstances for them to go outside of the range and up to the maximum sentence that is defined.

Now let's find what this woman did in here.

"Abuse of position of trust: sexual activity with a child"

That sounds about right, so let's now go to page 67.

Here we can clearly see for this offence:

Maximum: 5 years' custody
Offence range: Community order - 2 years' custody

So the next step is to determine the category and culpability.

Category - This clearly falls into category 1 as they did have penetrative sex.

Culpability - While the full details of the case are not public it is almost certain that there was at least a "significant degree of planning" and possibly "grooming behaviour used against victim" and so she falls into group A.

Now we move onto sentencing.

As she falls into Culpability group A and Category 1 we need to look in the top left box, which as you can see gives a starting point of 18 months in custody with a possible range of between 1 & 2 years in custody.

So regarding your statement that if the offender was "a man they would have got 15 years", I think you can clearly see that at no point in the sentencing guidelines does the gender of the offender come into it. A man would have been sentenced according to exactly the same guidelines as this woman was.
Reply 3
This is like the first in 1000s of cases and still she gets off lightly. Then feminists say females have less rights. Seriously? You lot can commit all sorts of crimes and evade prison. For us guys we are ****** from day one.
In real terms though, independent of law, was she actually doing something morally wrong?
I mean, at 15, though it may be damaging (but hard to measure), I may have rather enjoyed such an experience!
If you want an example of rape culture, keep an eye on the posts in this thread.
Original post by zigglr

She will be out in 1 year. This world is screwed up.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
She will be out in 1 year. This world is screwed up.

You got to be honest though, a guy teacher with a girl is more exploitation, the girl will be more scarred. Is this guy going to be really scarred when he's older cos he ****ed his female teacher at 15? You have to sentence with that in mind surely, the power balance is different, a 15 yr old guy could rape a woman.
Reply 8
Stupid law.
I would never be mentally damaged at 15 for having sex with a hot teacher. It would actually make me mentally stronger.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
You got to be honest though, a guy teacher with a girl is more exploitation, the girl will be more scarred. Is this guy going to be really scarred when he's older cos he ****ed his female teacher at 15? You have to sentence with that in mind surely, the power balance is different, a 15 yr old guy could rape a woman.

What if the Boy is a Christian, Muslim or Jew? You know someone who considers adultery/fornication a sin.

The idea that a Boy would be less scared than a Women is just a bile representation of the warped mentality of a Social Justice Warrior.

This is the law what we are dealing with. The law isn't meant to bow down to Social Justice Warrior Cry Bullies.
I would send my gratitude to this teacher for having sex with me
Original post by mackemforever
http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Aug-2015-Sexual-Offences-Definitive-Guideline-web.pdf

They are the sentencing guidelines that are applied in our legal system. For each offence courts are given a range of sentences that are to be used, however there is also a maximum sentence that falls outside of that range. In the vast majority of cases the sentence passed has to be within the given range but it is possible in special circumstances for them to go outside of the range and up to the maximum sentence that is defined.

Now let's find what this woman did in here.

"Abuse of position of trust: sexual activity with a child"

That sounds about right, so let's now go to page 67.

Here we can clearly see for this offence:

Maximum: 5 years' custody
Offence range: Community order - 2 years' custody

So the next step is to determine the category and culpability.

Category - This clearly falls into category 1 as they did have penetrative sex.

Culpability - While the full details of the case are not public it is almost certain that there was at least a "significant degree of planning" and possibly "grooming behaviour used against victim" and so she falls into group A.

Now we move onto sentencing.

As she falls into Culpability group A and Category 1 we need to look in the top left box, which as you can see gives a starting point of 18 months in custody with a possible range of between 1 & 2 years in custody.

So regarding your statement that if the offender was "a man they would have got 15 years", I think you can clearly see that at no point in the sentencing guidelines does the gender of the offender come into it. A man would have been sentenced according to exactly the same guidelines as this woman was.

Aggravating factorsStatutory aggravating factorsPrevious convictions, having regard to a) the nature of theoffence to which the conviction relates and its relevance tothe current offence; and b) the time that has elapsed sincethe convictionOffence committed whilst on bailOther aggravating factorsEjaculationPregnancy or STI as a consequence of offenceLocation of offenceTiming of offenceVictim compelled to leave their home, school, etcFailure to comply with current court ordersOffence committed whilst on licencePresence of others, especially other childrenAny steps taken to prevent the victim reporting an incident,obtaining assistance and/or from assisting or supportingthe prosecution

Look to aggravating factors the sentence should be atleast 3 months more

Ejaculation

Any steps taken to prevent the victim reporting an incident,obtaining assistance and/or from assisting or supportingthe prosecution

Attempts to dispose of or conceal evidence

There was a video somewhere haven't got time to find it of the victim appearing on itv where he talks of the manipulation tactics she used. This combined with the fact that the child was a care leaver and (more) vulnerable is sufficient aggravating factors. Albeit, the sentence was within the specified range the sentence was a little light even considering that the defendant plead guilty.
Original post by Xenon17
I know this school and I also know the boy it was through various information sources I can tell you this though the boy was in Pastoral and had a very bad upbringing.

I don't care. Fact is if you want to be a Teacher you stick to a code of professional ethics. You don't use your job as a pedestal to commit pedophilia. If this Women had a thing for young boys she should have signed up on one of those legal Cougar websites and kept her sexual perversions behind closed doors.

What the hell are we going to have next? Rights for hyper-actively horny Female teachers? Female teachers shouting stop oppressing me vs young school boys?

The whole UK is turning into Sodom & Gomorrah. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple Asteroids was lobbed at us in the coming years.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't care. Fact is if you want to be a Teacher you stick to a code of professional ethics. You don't use your job as a pedestal to commit pedophilia. If this Women had a thing for young boys she should have signed up on one of those legal Cougar websites and kept her sexual perversions behind closed doors.

What the hell are we going to have next? Rights for hyper-actively horny Female teachers? Female teachers shouting stop oppressing me vs young school boys?

The whole UK is turning into Sodom & Gomorrah. I wouldn't surprised if a couple Asteroid was lobbed at us in the coming years.

Did you read the post? I wasn't once talking about the teacher I just said the child was vulnerable and I agree with your points made.
Tbh I definitely agree. On the whole feminism is the right thing and yes women are sometimes treated badly but in the UK I do feel as if men are punished more heavily than women and, if you look in the news every now and again, this seems to be a common theme. It may be the case that the men are normally the ringleaders in crimes but even where the women are the ringleaders I have seen cases where they get a lower sentence than the man on the basis of having a family or something... And no I am not sexist :s-smilie:

I could be entirely wrong, just my opinion.
Reply 16
equality goes both ways ...

if you wanna be equal in pay and in opportunities and privileges you have to get equal sentences and crimes

having a vagina shouldn't let you get away with anything
She didn't get away with anything, a jury convicted her and a judge who has infinitely more legal knowledge and experience than anyone on this thread, sentenced her. You have no evidence that men get tougher sentences, because you are not comparing like for like.
Reply 18
What if you have a Vagina and a Penis? If one is bigger than the other can someone be entitled to more opportunities and less punishments?

ZOMBIES ATE YOUR BRAINS ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

._.

if you counted the uterus and whole reproductive system of the female vs the male, the females is larger :tongue:

idc what gender you are, if you want to be treated equal to the other gender you have to take the good and the bad

bring it on Zambies
Oh boo hoo meninists!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending