The Student Room Group

Is there something after death?

Is there something after death? Or when death comes is there nothing after the comfortable last breath?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes there is, we just dont know what it is
Reply 2
Original post by GUMI
Yes there is, we just dont know what it is

What makes you think this?
Reply 3
Best not to ask people who are still alive.
Supposedly there is something (not just one possibility) and your memories of your life, every second, are crystal clear, unlike what they are now.
Reply 5
Original post by IBIB
Is there something after death? Or when death comes is there nothing after the comfortable last breath?

Yes there is a life after death.
A life of eternity.

A life that will make this life seem like mere moments, regretting and wondering why one destroyed their life of eternity (which is better) just for a few fleeting moments. Moments in which happiness is not guaranteed nor lasting.

The purpose of life is to follow Islam, to worship the one God and believe in Muhammad, (peace be unto him) the final messenger.
Reply 6
Is there life after death?

No one knows for certain. It's funny how as I get older eternal life sounds less & less appealing.

All I will say is; Even looking at it objectively the historical story of Jesus is very interesting.
Original post by IBIB

No and the last breath is not necessarily comfortable.
Yes. Eternal life. Just live your life the right way and follow the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No one can really say but there could be.

Sometimes it's a nice thought that there's life after death but sometimes I think that if I'm there FOREVER for all eternity won't I get a bit bored? Cos who wants to live forever?
I believe there is a heaven and hell according to the Bible but tbh I think personally both of the afterlife options sound a bit ****.

Hell for obvious reasons and heaven just sounds extremely boring
Reply 11
There's no objective, falsifiable evidence of life after death.

It would require a mechanism by which our mind could survive after our brains have died, and there is no evidence for any such mechanism, including the existence of a soul.

All the evidence we have demonstrates that the mind is the product of the brain. People with brain damage, for instance, often lose some of their personalities and cognitive functions; if there was a soul, this wouldn't be the case. Given this, the assertion that when all of our brain is dead, we'll suddenly be able to recognise our parents and grandparents in heaven because there's a soul is extremely dubious.

So, no, it's unlikely that there's life after death. Our bodies and brains rot and decompose, returning the atoms which make us up back to the universe. That is, unless longevity and immortality research makes huge advances, which is not entirely implausible.
Original post by IBIB
Or when death comes is there nothing after the comfortable last breath?

Who says the last breath will be comfortable?

For all you know it could be a horribly painful last breath.
Reply 13
Original post by IBIB

Personally I believe there is something after death.

I believe we are eternal and we have to decide before we die where we want to go. Its very simple really.

God gives us an invitation spend eternity with him , we can choose to accept this or reject it. many choose not to accept the invite.

God wants us all to be with him and even says he is patiently waiting for you to turn to him so that you don't perish. God devises ways during our lifetime for us to come to know him but he is patient and kind, never forceful or threatening.

In the bible it says God breathed his breath into man at the start of life, interestingly I heard it said at death the spirit of man (or woman lol) leaves the body and then the body dies, the spirit has gone, the body is dead. If anyone has ever heard the last breath of anyone it is like the whole of that person's life being exhaled.

2 Peter 3 v 9

But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
After death is a funeral.

Srsly, I do think there is something after death but after my cousin tried to commit suicide a second time yesterday, I shouldn't be making these jokes.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think so. Like what someone said earlier I find the idea of eternal life to be great but eventually you'd run out of things to do and then it would get boring and eventually awful. Also which kind of heaven is the real thing if there is one. Buddhism is the only religion with an afterlife which sounds tangible but I seriously doubt that animals have souls really. Then it comes the Christian heaven which will be like Church 24/7 and that would be so s**t. Then there's Islamic heaven which sounds great but really materialistic and I like to think that there'd be more than just the things in our day to day life's however enhanced. Ultimately it's probably just like pre birth... Nothing.
Reply 16
Original post by IBIB
No, but death is the ultimate taboo, and it will remain so, so we will keep telling ourselves that that there is 'something', even athiests usually say there is 'something', because the thought of a billion trillion years of nothingness is pretty terrifying, no-one wants to think about it.
Reply 17
Original post by Racoon
Personally I believe there is something after death.

I believe we are eternal and we have to decide before we die where we want to go. Its very simple really.

God gives us an invitation spend eternity with him , we can choose to accept this or reject it. many choose not to accept the invite.

God wants us all to be with him and even says he is patiently waiting for you to turn to him so that you don't perish. God devises ways during our lifetime for us to come to know him but he is patient and kind, never forceful or threatening.

In the bible it says God breathed his breath into man at the start of life, interestingly I heard it said at death the spirit of man (or woman lol) leaves the body and then the body dies, the spirit has gone, the body is dead. If anyone has ever heard the last breath of anyone it is like the whole of that person's life being exhaled.

2 Peter 3 v 9

But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. 9The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

I don't believe you, I think deep down, really deep down, and of course you won't admit it, but you know, you do know, there is no God, he doesn't exist. We all know, but for billions of people that prize of an afterlife is much too sweet to let go, so we cling to it. But really we know that God is fiction and that as we draw that last breath our meaningless little existence comes to a crashing and absolute end. No-one dares admit it to themselves - I can understand why, it isn't a very nice thought.
Reply 18
You get a set of steak knives.
I don't know. And no one who is on the Earth will ever know. We'll only know once our time comes, I'm afraid. I'd like to think there's somewhere after this life however, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending