The Student Room Group

Physics, computer science or electrical engineering?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by langlitz
Lol no. There is a lot more to physics than that. How about thermodynamics for a start? Not to mention all the maths that you never encounter in an engineering degree

Engineers do thermodynamics, its fundamental....

Not to mention all the maths that you never encounter in an engineering degree

lol ok then....
Original post by bigboateng_
Engineers do thermodynamics, its fundamental....

lol ok then....

Electrical engineers do thermodynamics? Aye ok mate. Have you done linear algebra?
Electrical engineers do thermodynamics? Aye ok mate. Have you done linear algebra?

ok maybe not electrical but other engineering degrees do thermo, I do thermo. We do all types of mathematics, calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, laplace transforms, fourier series, complex numbers, etc.

btw we are not talking about which degree is the hardest here, we talking out of electrical, phsyics and CS which is the best to do.
Original post by 822
Job wise im not too fussed im more focused on learning. I just like learning things that interest me. Unfortunately im interested in all of them.

Also i know i can teach myself computer science at home but it wont be in depth as you were saying.The thing i was wondering is which course covers all of them above?

Also is there anyway i could possibly do all 3 of the degrees or even 2?

Someone was saying something about a top up degree? Im not too familiar with that. If you know about that, could you explain it to me?

Im sorry for all these questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do comp. science like mee! I'm doing it for GCSES (doesnt matter if its not a degree) we can do it together and be computer science buddies :biggrin:
ok maybe not electrical but other engineering degrees do thermo, I do thermo. We do all types of mathematics, calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, laplace transforms, fourier series, complex numbers, etc.

btw we are not talking about which degree is the hardest here, we talking out of electrical, phsyics and CS which is the best to do.

Exactly, the post was about electrical engineering... They were saying that physics was just mechanics, electromag and quantum so by doing electrical engineering then you basically do electromag. This is definitely not true. I'm not trying to argue which is the hardest. Just saying that physics covers a lot more than that. Also physics introduces you to maths you will never encounter in an engineering degree.
Exactly, the post was about electrical engineering... They were saying that physics was just mechanics, electromag and quantum so by doing electrical engineering then you basically do electromag. This is definitely not true. I'm not trying to argue which is the hardest. Just saying that physics covers a lot more than that. Also physics introduces you to maths you will never encounter in an engineering degree.

but physics is just those 3, mechanics, electricity&magnetism and quantum mechanics. Give me a topic in physics that doesn't lie under those 3.
but physics is just those 3, mechanics, electricity&magnetism and quantum mechanics. Give me a topic in physics that doesn't lie under those 3.

General relativity mate
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
General relativity mate

and?
and?

And a million other things that have no direct relevance to EEE..

And no, a Comp Sci degree is not a waste of money.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edothero
And a million other things that have no direct relevance to EEE..

And no, a Comp Sci degree is not a waste of money.

ouch, a million might be a bit too much dont you think? & yes a cs degree is not a waste of money for majority of people

.. for me personally it is which is why i didnt do it. have too much knowledge already I wanted a degree that will challenge me, not one I could coast through
ouch, a million might be a bit too much dont you think? & yes a cs degree is not a waste of money for majority of people

.. for me personally it is which is why i didnt do it. have too much knowledge already I wanted a degree that will challenge me, not one I could coast through

Lmao your reasoning tells me you'd probably fail a CS degree, it's much more than programming.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by edothero
Lmao your reasoning tells me you'd probably fail a CS degree, it's much more than programming.

such a cliche comment, no shiit

not to brag but I interviewed at google literally 4 days ago... not saying im the best but I doubt iid fail a cs degree

anyways going off topic, stop replying to me
(edited 8 years ago)
such a cliche comment, no shiit

not to brag but I interviewed at google literally 4 days ago... not saying im the best but I doubt iid fail a cs degree

anyways going off topic, stop replying to me

For what role? I'm assuming janitor looooool

(it's just banter btw)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
For what role? I'm assuming janitor looooool

(it's just banter btw)

Posted from TSR Mobile

internship, software engineer.

and the guy who asked what my background was but deleted his comment, 1st year aerospace engineering.
internship, software engineer.

and the guy who asked what my background was but deleted his comment, 1st year aerospace engineering.

Fair game. The STEP programme? I don't think Google's other programmes are open to first years.

Also, which office? London, Dublin, Zurich, Mountain View?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair game. The STEP programme? I don't think Google's other programmes are open to first years.

Also, which office? London, Dublin, Zurich, Mountain View?

Posted from TSR Mobile

STEP, choose Zurich, Paris, London in order of preference.
STEP, choose Zurich, Paris, London in order of preference.

What was the interview like? Their standard coding interview with whiteboards etc? Or more about you as a person?

I've heard Zurich pays more than their Moutain View HQ!! I've seen offers for their Mountain View office, and damn, if they pay more, you'd be rollllliiiing in it mate.
What was the interview like? Their standard coding interview with whiteboards etc? Or more about you as a person?

I've heard Zurich pays more than their Moutain View HQ!! I've seen offers for their Mountain View office, and damn, if they pay more, you'd be rollllliiiing in it mate.

interviewed via google hangout with 2 software engineers, one form London and another form Zurich. London guy was alright, only asked one question which I solved although it took me a bit of thinking, typed code in google docs. Second interviewer from zurich asked a lot of technical questions about datastructures, and for example how I would store an array in memory, asked me a question which I gave two solutions to then asked me how fast one is compared to the other. he asked me about the Big O of every algorithm/solution I came up with for a problem, even asked me to create a game called Logo which looks basically this one https://turtleacademy.com/learn.php Didnt finish it obvs but wrote a class and about 2 functions.

and Zurich pays more probably because thats where they do majority of their research.
interviewed via google hangout with 2 software engineers, one form London and another form Zurich. London guy was alright, only asked one question which I solved although it took me a bit of thinking, typed code in google docs. Second interviewer from zurich asked a lot of technical questions about datastructures, and for example how I would store an array in memory, asked me a question which I gave two solutions to then asked me how fast one is compared to the other. he asked me about the Big O of every algorithm/solution I came up with for a problem, even asked me to create a game called Logo which looks basically this one https://turtleacademy.com/learn.php Didnt finish it obvs but wrote a class and about 2 functions.

and Zurich pays more probably because thats where they do majority of their research.

Sounds pretty fun actually! A nice mix of problem solving, coding and some theory stuff.

Yeah man! The base for a grad at MV is like ~$105k, so probs looking at ~110-115k francs + bonus, stock and signing. Interns are paid about ~$80k pro-rata or ~$6.6667k a month.

Tell me how every single one of the following falls in to those 3 categories plz

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending