The Student Room Group

Choosing A Level Subjects

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not 100% sure what I want to pick for A levels.

Just for a bit of context: I'm currently in Year 11 and I want to study Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Computer Science at university (my dream is to study at Imperial).

So naturally, Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be the best combination.

However, I also like Computer Science and RS (I'm quite good at both of these subjects and I consistently get good grades in them)

I would like a bit of guidance in narrowing down all of these subjects into 3 options that would be best suited to what I'd like to study in the future.

Thank you for your time! :smile:
Original post by eomo12
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I'm not 100% sure what I want to pick for A levels.

Just for a bit of context: I'm currently in Year 11 and I want to study Electrical and Electronic Engineering or Computer Science at university (my dream is to study at Imperial).

So naturally, Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be the best combination.

However, I also like Computer Science and RS (I'm quite good at both of these subjects and I consistently get good grades in them)

I would like a bit of guidance in narrowing down all of these subjects into 3 options that would be best suited to what I'd like to study in the future.

Thank you for your time!

Have you thought about studying chemistry? Would be good for certain engineering choices.

Aside from that, I would recommend taking further maths as a 4th because it narrows your options as a third, besides if you want to go to imperial for maths heavy degrees the workload should be manageable. If we're picking from comp sci and RS, realistically computer science goes better and if you know roughly that you want to do a stem subject then RS isn't really relevant. So judging by this, I think you should take: maths, further maths, physics, and computer science. However, it's really your choice at the end of the day and only you know if you'll be able to manage FM as a fourth or not (although I'd recommend asking your maths teacher as well)
Reply 2
Choose maths, CS and physics as it gives you greater options. Doing CS at a level will benefit you as you can determine if you want to take it to degree level. You could also do further maths as a 4th A level if you really want to do it. I don’t think many electrical engineering courses require FM, but it will make your application more competitive. Only do 4 a levels if you are ready to put in the work.
Original post by juicygcse
Have you thought about studying chemistry? Would be good for certain engineering choices.

Aside from that, I would recommend taking further maths as a 4th because it narrows your options as a third, besides if you want to go to imperial for maths heavy degrees the workload should be manageable. If we're picking from comp sci and RS, realistically computer science goes better and if you know roughly that you want to do a stem subject then RS isn't really relevant. So judging by this, I think you should take: maths, further maths, physics, and computer science. However, it's really your choice at the end of the day and only you know if you'll be able to manage FM as a fourth or not (although I'd recommend asking your maths teacher as well)

completely disagree. i think they should take computer science as it goes well with their other options whereas rs isn’t really relevant to the rest of their a levels and for engineering at prestigious unis like imperial then maths, further maths, physics and computer science is the best combo in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest