The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Applying for two courses at Imperial College

I plan to apply for physics and electrical & electronic engineering (EEE) at ICL. However, my teachers and some students applying to Imperial say that it is not a good idea to include two courses you want to study in the UCAS Personal Statement.

So does including two courses in the Personal Statement pose a disadvantage when it comes to admissions? Or do departmental admissions tests and interviews weigh more?
Original post by QuantumYitian
I plan to apply for physics and electrical & electronic engineering (EEE) at ICL. However, my teachers and some students applying to Imperial say that it is not a good idea to include two courses you want to study in the UCAS Personal Statement.

So does including two courses in the Personal Statement pose a disadvantage when it comes to admissions? Or do departmental admissions tests and interviews weigh more?

Some universities place more emphasis on the personal statement then others. The fact that on their Personal statement page, Imperial say things like the below (with emphasis added by me), suggests that they feel it is important:

"Your personal statement is a really important part of your UCAS application."
"It helps our admissions tutors get an insight into who you are and whether you'd be a good fit for the course you're applying to."
"We're looking for people with a genuine enthusiasm for the subject they're applying for..."
"...make sure your passion really shines through."

It would be difficult, I imagine, to demonstrate your passion and enthusiasm for either course if you can't even decide which you want to study.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Some universities place more emphasis on the personal statement then others. The fact that on their Personal statement page, Imperial say things like the below (with emphasis added by me), suggests that they feel it is important:

"Your personal statement is a really important part of your UCAS application."
"It helps our admissions tutors get an insight into who you are and whether you'd be a good fit for the course you're applying to."
"We're looking for people with a genuine enthusiasm for the subject they're applying for..."
"...make sure your passion really shines through."

It would be difficult, I imagine, to demonstrate your passion and enthusiasm for either course if you can't even decide which you want to study.

Thank you! I've seen some people with similar personal statement like this https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7408186
where they tied up for example maths and computer science neatly into one PS. Would you say physics and electrical & electronic engineering are not similar enough to put them into one PS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending