The Student Room Group

Referencing

Hi guys,

I was wondering how do you actually do referencing? (Harvard, APA)... I'm not at uni but hoping to start Sept 2016 and I've never referenced in the above ways so I don't understand them. Where do the references go? Do I reference every sentence? Paragraph??

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Thanks
Original post by TheTinyGiant
Hi guys,

I was wondering how do you actually do referencing? (Harvard, APA)... I'm not at uni but hoping to start Sept 2016 and I've never referenced in the above ways so I don't understand them. Where do the references go? Do I reference every sentence? Paragraph??

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Thanks

It will vary between universities exactly which style they require but Harvard is author(date) so you would write something like According to Smith (2015)... or you can have it at the end of sentences like (smith,2015). Normally its whenever its needed rather than it being a set pattern.
Its something that takes time to get the hang off but if you follow the referencing "rules" that your university has to the T then you ll get there :smile:
Reply 2
Don't overthink it at the moment. Some of your first Study Skills lectures will cover exactly how to reference, plus most unis have a detailed guide online which describes how to reference their way.

It's good to be aware that you'll need to reference work at uni, but you'll be taught how to do it once you get there.
I just use Refme...
You will be taught it very early on. But Broadly speaking you reference when you either quote another author or paraphrase an author (i.e. you take their ideas and put them in your own words). In text you would reference as follows: (Name, year of publication, page number) and you also include a full bibliography of all the books/articles/journals you have used at the end of an essay.
Thanks guys!
Original post by Jackieox
I just use Refme...

Do double check it against your university's referencing guide. For instance my university uses a variant of Harvard which differs slightly to those on reference generators. :smile:
You probably won't need to worry about APA it's only psychology that uses it, unless you're going to do psychology, then it's all you need to worry about :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending