The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mechanics angles

Hi, I am studying all the mechanics units that Edexcel offer at a level and I wanted to know, in an exam question, when is stating tanα =x, sinα =x or cosα =x where x is a given fraction, are we supposed to calculate in degrees or radians?

Any help is appreciated and if you can give me an answer, is it possible to see some form of proof from Edexcel or a teacher just so that I can have peace of mind.

Original post by nia9798
Hi, I am studying all the mechanics units that Edexcel offer at a level and I wanted to know, in an exam question, when is stating tanα =x, sinα =x or cosα =x where x is a given fraction, are we supposed to calculate in degrees or radians?

Any help is appreciated and if you can give me an answer, is it possible to see some form of proof from Edexcel or a teacher just so that I can have peace of mind.

You only need to work in radians if the question involves differentiating or integrating trig, which will only happen from M3 onwards.

If giving a bearing or if the question tells you to, you must give the answer in degrees.

Otherwise you can choose degrees or radians, but I suggest that degrees is easier.

I have marked all of the various Edexcel Mechanics modules at one time or another, so you can trust my answer!
Original post by nia9798

Typically if they give you for example

tanα=43 \tan{\alpha} = \dfrac{4}{3}

Then you can construct a triangle and using the Pythagorean theorem you can work out the other side of the triangle, thus giving you answers to cosα \cos{\alpha} or sinα \sin{\alpha} .

In calculations you very rarely use an angle on its own, it is normally used within a trig function.

Quick Reply

Latest