The Student Room Group

Mechanics Help!!!

Can anyone help me understand how to solve part b of 2019 June IAL Mechanics 2 paper?
Original post by MrsMia
Can anyone help me understand how to solve part b of 2019 June IAL Mechanics 2 paper?

What question number
Reply 2
Oh sorry Question 7
Original post by MrsMia
Oh sorry Question 7

Have you learnt about the Impact Law?
See: https://www.schoolphysics.co.uk/age16-19/Mechanics/Dynamics/text/Newton%27s_law_of_impact/index.html
Did you draw a diagram showing P and Q?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
No I'm talking about question 7 b 2019 June WME02 IAL paper the one about the centre of mass
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MrsMia
No I'm talking about question 7 b 2019 June WME02 IAL paper the one about the centre of mass

THe first part gives you xbar, then for b) find ybar and show that AC will be vertical by showing that the COM lies on AC so xbar/ybar=3/2.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
THe first part gives you xbar, then for b) find ybar and show that AC will be vertical by showing that the COM lies on AC so xbar/ybar=3/2.

I don't understand the 3/2 part, where did we get that from?
Reply 7
Original post by MrsMia
I don't understand the 3/2 part, where did we get that from?

The gradient of the diagonal AC, so 9/6 (width / height, from memory, but not checked just now). The diagonal must be vertical, so the COM must lie on it.

As usual, a sketch with xbar,ybar marked on helps, especially with the origin (A) on, so you can interpret the angle (gradient) of AC and hence where the COM must lie.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
The gradient of the diagonal AC, so 9/6 (width / height, from memory, but not checked just now). The diagonal must be vertical, so the COM must lie on it.

As usual, a sketch with xbar,ybar marked on helps, especially with the origin (A) on, so you can interpret the angle (gradient) of AC and hence where the COM must lie.

Ohhhhhh got it! Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest